PDA

View Full Version : I hate dogs!!! [long]

stacwase
06-30-2004, 09:46 AM
OK - that's not true. I just need some emotional support. You know I love them. But they're ruining my life!!!

Do you have any idea how long it has been since I had a decent night's sleep? And I can't get ANYTHING done around the house!

Last night, for example. We waited until around 1100 to go to bed, so that we could bring the chis out as late as possible. At 2:00 they woke us up, needing to go potty again. So taking them out took about 10 minutes, then after I put them back in the crate they whined for another 30 minutes. It took me a while to get back to sleep and then at 5:00 they woke me up AGAIN! So I took them out and by about 5:40 was able to get back to sleep.

My husband got up to go to work and fed all 4 dogs and let them all out and put the chis back in their crate so that I could finally get some sleep - then JAKE came upstairs and started barking and wouldn't leave me alone. I followed him downstairs. HE WANTED ME TO LET THE CAT OUT!!!!! He didn't even need to go out, but he was worried because Toby was sitting by the back door.

They went outside after they were fed. I let them stay outside on the leash for about an hour. Then I went and got them and had them on the leash, at my side. I took my eyeballs off of them for just long enough to grab a plate, and when I looked down THERE WAS POO ON THE FLOOR! Jeez. Two seconds is all it takes.

I'm going to continue this as a response because my computer keeps locking up and I don't want to lose it.

stacwase
06-30-2004, 09:52 AM
Not only will they not let me sleep, they won't let me do anything else, either!!!

There are only 3 places where the chihuahuas will not potty. In their little crate (actually a cat carrier), on my bed, and on the sofa. They will only stay on the bed or the sofa if I'm there. We have a small dog sized crate, but they poop in that.

We live in a very cold climate. Even now it's only in the 60s-70s during the day, with a good breeze all the time. So I can't really leave them outside much. They chill so easily.

I have 2 kids, and a job, and a house to take care of. We're putting the house on the market soon, so I really need to get it clean!!! Like - I need to clean at least 5 hours a day (scrubbing walls, the basement floor, the furnace etc. etc. etc.).

These dogs are used to being held and cuddled like 20 hours a day. When (if) my mom gets well, she's going to want to go back to that routine. She's handicapped so she has plenty of time to cuddle them. I don't want to make them become too independent because I want them to keep cuddling with her when (if) she gets them back.

Help!! What do I doo???????

Please reassure me that they actually will be housetrained eventually! Please tell me this isn't forever.

And what will I do if Mom doesn't get better? I can't keep these dogs!

Canis Amicus
06-30-2004, 09:53 AM
Yes, furkids change our lives forever! We do not live only for ourselves anymore, they always come first, priority nr. 1.

Since I adopted Rex, I have to think as "we" instead of "I", for everything.

Rosana
and
Rex

ramanth
06-30-2004, 09:59 AM
Chis? I think I missed something...did you get more dogs? Or are you fostering?

Yep, dogs are just like babies...needing something at all hours of the day. So sorry to hear your stressed out. Don't fret, everything will work out in the end. :)

Kfamr
06-30-2004, 10:04 AM
My dogs run my life, and I have no problem with it. ;) :p

Maybe once they're housetrained, another fmaily member would be more willing to take them?

stacwase
06-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by ramanth
Chis? I think I missed something...did you get more dogs? Or are you fostering?

Sort of fostering, I guess. My mom is extremely ill. She lives in Arkansas. I drove down there to visit her in the hospital, and came back with her two chis, Tony and Chloe. I'll attach a picture. They're truly the sweetest little things, but she never housetrained them!! Housetraining an adult dog is difficult enough - but an adult chihuahua is very hard. Make that TWO adult chihuahuas!

Four dogs. I just can't believe it. FOUR dogs!!! I am doing my best to be patient.

http://photothru.com/photo_filedb1/A5/86/D3/A586D3/viewable/A586D3_131CBB033D68_1.jpg

stacwase
06-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
My dogs run my life, and I have no problem with it. ;) :p

Maybe once they're housetrained, another fmaily member would be more willing to take them?

Yeah - my sister says she'll take them when they're housetrained. She just doesn't have time to housetrain them because she lives in Arkansas and she's at the hospital with Mom so much. I'm a little worried though. I've been researching chihuahuas and there are sites which talk about some which took over a year to housebreak!

Kfamr
06-30-2004, 10:08 AM
If only I could take them... they're so darn cute. :)

stacwase
06-30-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
If only I could take them... they're so darn cute. :)

Oh I know. They're absolutely the cutest, sweetest little things I have ever seen. They just LOVE people! If I didn't have things to do, I would love to just sit and snuggle them all day long.

But I have SOOOO many things to do. Things which absolutely MUST be done!!

Want to babysit? hehe

aly
06-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Well, if your mom cannot take them back, I'm sure you could place them with a Chihuahua rescue easily. They're adorable and its very easy to find homes for small dogs.

Maybe it'd be easier to try to paper train them or litter train them. I don't generally recommend it unless someone wants to use that method for the rest of the dog's life, but it may be easier in your situation. The Chis got used to going all over the floor, whereas most puppies are conditioned to potty on grass from a young age. You just need to change the texture/surface that they are used to going potty on. I'd cover the dog crate with newspaper and keep them in there until they go. Then praise them whenever they do go on the paper. You can try putting spots of newspaper all over your floor too in whichever room they stay in. So if they're about to have an accident, they'll see the newspaper and maybe go there. Eventually you will be able to take most of the paper away and try to leave them one good spot of newspaper. I know it'll be messy and more cleaning for you, and probably not be good with the house on the market. Just a suggestion though.

stacwase
06-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Aly, I'd really hate to see it come to paper training, but the thought has crossed my mind.

My mom actually had Chloe paper trained, before she got Tony.

Jake has this bad habit, though, of eating poo. It would be bad enough, having poopy paper laying around. But watching Jake trot across the room with poo in his mouth would probably lead to big puddles of my son's and daughter's vomit all over the house - and more cleaning for me!!!

I can just see it now - all of us sitting at the dinner table, throwing up as we watch Jake run across the dining room with a treat from Chloe in his mouth!

aly
06-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Can you use baby gates or puppy play pens to block them in a small part of the kitchen until you get them potty trained?

stacwase
06-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by aly
Can you use baby gates or puppy play pens to block them in a small part of the kitchen until you get them potty trained?

That's a possibility. I wouldn't have any problem at all going out and buying a playpen and putting them in there with lots of toys. I have a question about that. I know for sure that they would poop in a playpen, because they do it in a 18" by 24" crate.

I don't really mind cleaning it up, but wouldn't that make them harder to housebreak? Wouldn't that be telling them it's OK to o in the house?

BitsyNaceyDog
06-30-2004, 11:41 AM
When I got my chihuahua he was 6 years old and only paper trained. It actually only took me a couple weeks to leash train and house break him. I used a baby gate and kept him in the kitchen and crated him when I was gone. Actually I did the same with Charlie (min-pin) when I got him. He was 2 years and he was harder to house break, it took him a couple months.
I really don't have any good advice for you, I just wanted to let you know there is hope.

ramanth
06-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Wow Stacey! I see you do have a handful. And two adorable handfuls at that. I have no housebreaking suggestions but have you thought of getting those pee pads?

Best of luck! *HUGS*

aly
06-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by stacwase
I don't really mind cleaning it up, but wouldn't that make them harder to housebreak? Wouldn't that be telling them it's OK to o in the house?

Yeah, I was suggesting the gate or pen to go along with the paper training though. Otherwise it won't help them much.

lute
06-30-2004, 11:52 AM
i don't know. maybe try to put those pee pads on half of it and leave the other half for toys.that'll atlease get them used to going in a certain spot.then work on putting the pee pads outside when you take them out to "go potty" that will get them used to going outside.

hope that helps.

stacwase
06-30-2004, 01:06 PM
You all are the greatest. Thanks so much just for talking to me! I'm starting to calm down now - not so close to tears.

KBlaix - it's encouraging that you trained your 6-year-old chihuahua so easily.

I think the playpen with pee pads on one end idea might work. I think we'll try that. Not for all the time - just for when I can't watch them closely and I don't want to keep them in their crate.

Today I've got their leashes fastened to my belt loops. I'm bringing them everywhere with me, and they're not at all happy about that. In fact I think they might be very mad at me! It's the only way I can keep a close enough eye on them right now, without confining them to their crate.

They've "helped" me clean the carpet on the stairs, and spray rug freshener on it. Then they "helped" me vacuum the hallway. They're really scared of the vacuum cleaner. Now they're sleeping on the bed (where I'm typing).

In a while they're going to help me clean the basement floor and take out the garbage and vacuum the living room and dust.

stacwase
06-30-2004, 06:21 PM
OK. I don't hate dogs anymore. hehe

We all made it through the day, and I got some cleaning done. I'm going to feed them and snuggle them now.

wolfie
06-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
They're truly the sweetest little things, but she never housetrained them!!

I can't even imagine having a dog and not housetraining it! Wow! I'm sorry that you have to be the one to housetrain them. (They're so cute though! ^_^) What Aly said is all very helpful - I hope everything works out!

KYS
06-30-2004, 06:59 PM
I am sorry to hear about your mother.
Tony and Chloe are adorable.
Hopefully you will have them house-trained soon.

QueenScoopalot
06-30-2004, 09:54 PM
I have a rescued chihuahua Peanut who came from a deplorable situation. She was living with an alcoholic man in a rooming house where dogs weren't allowed, and he kept her crated while he (wonder of wonders) went to work. He'd walk her in the A.M, crate her, come home from work, take her out again, and then procede to get blotto! :eek: When I took her in she was an older girl, unspayed and all the fur was missing from her head, and lower body....and she REEKED of human urine. Poor little thing was very underweight, but has so much love to give despite all the crap she's gone through. It took multiple baths to rid her of the stench, and months before her long hair grew back. I think she's a cross of chi/yorkie but the guy insisted she was pure longhaired chihuahua. She was roughly 6-8 years old when I took her in and totally not housebroken. Bless her little heart she tries, but has the tendency to pee on the carpet, yet poop on the tiles. I wish it were the other way around. :rolleyes: I've had her for four years now, and she's still very stubborn about going out when it's cold or rainy. I can leave her in the yard for an hour, and she'll come in and piddle on the rug a few minutes later. I invested in a carpet cleaner, and it stays plugged in all the time lately! Big mistake buying a new living room carpet that is green! I know dogs are mostly color blind, but it's getting ridiculous. :rolleyes: It's not easy trying to housebreak dogs who are set in their ways. Good luck...and if you come across the magic secret...please share! ;)

Fox-Gal
06-30-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm sorry you are going through a bad time. I feel your pian, with 7 dogs 13 cats etc etc etc, I too sometime say I hate pets, even thought it is 100% false. I love all my babies. But do you know how long it's been sense I had a vaction with my husband. We have to travel seperate as one need to stay home and feed and care for pets. And now with a dog with cancer, one that has gone blind and another with a heart problem, I'm lucky I get a day away.

Anyway back to the subject at hand.

I had a few hard house breakers over the years and when all else didn't work I went to the paper training. In the back laundry room I put up a child gate, covered the floor with paper and went to bed. :D After time went by I slowly removed some of the paper till only right at the back door had paper. Yes they thought the back door was the bathroom and if I didn't catch them going back there fast enough they would go right there, but it was still better then the whole house being a batheroom. :eek:

Sorry I can't be of much more help to you, but to say paper is easier to clean then rugs, if nothing else works. And you need a good night sleep, so don't feel bad gating them off somewhere with paper and go to sleep. The morning clean up might not be fun, but at least you'll be rested to deal with it. :D

Do they still sell that pee training drops? Thats what I use to put on the paper, but it's been so long now that I don't know if they still sell it? Oh well just wondering .

Good luck to you.

stacwase
07-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Wow, Queen Scoopalot and Foxgal!! You made me feel much better. When I compare my situation to yours, I feel guilty for even complaining!

My heart just breaks for poor Peanut, locked in her crate constantly like that. It's no wonder she has problems!

Last night was DH's night to take the dogs out, and my night to sleep. When they started whining to be let out, he didn't take them. He says they have to learn to hold it through the night. When he got up at about 7:00 am he brought the whole crate out with him and opened the door! He was afraid if he took them out before they were outside, they'd "leak". They made it without an accidenet.

I think he's right. I'll do it that way, too, from now on.

Logan
07-01-2004, 10:06 AM
I was going to suggest exactly what your husband ended up doing. I think it is easier for everyone, even if they do soil the crate.

Good luck!! And I hope your mom will be better soon. I guess in those roughest moments, you just have to remind yourself how much you are helping her.

Logan

lute
07-01-2004, 10:17 AM
PROGRESS! that word sounds good to you right now i bet.lol

glad to hear things are better.next you won't want to give them back.hehe;)

MHMama
07-01-2004, 07:18 PM
I have 3 chihuahuas and I keep them in a small area next to the kitchen when we don't have the time to be with them. I use a baby gate so that they can see me when I am in the kitchen so they don't feel alone.
I find that chi's, especially until they are very well trained do not do well when they have the run of the house. It gives them too many options to go potty and they really don't see the difference from grass and carpet.
The chihuahuas may also miss your mother. Chi's get very attached to one family member as it is and these have been uprooted and have no idea what is going on. Be patient and CONSISTANT.
Remember to only feed them at certain times of the day and then put the food up. It is hard to potty train them when they have to go almost every time they eat and the food is left out. Put their water dish up after 8 or 9 at night.
they are creature of habit so just keep it consistant and they will catch on.
God bless them, they are adorable.
My three (http://www.worldisround.com/articles/11809/photo56.html)

stacwase
07-02-2004, 02:57 PM
MHMama - It sure doesn't seem like there are many chihuahua owners on here, does it?

I've noticed how strongly they bond to one person. By the time I was able to pick them up, they had been away from my mom for a couple of weeks. They were at my sisters's but they didn't have a lot of contact with her because she was at the hospital with Mom all the time.

The bonded with me almost immediately - whining whenever I'd leave their sight and wanting to be with me constantly.

Tony was just skin and bones - and he was so unbelievably nervous all the time. He's gained so much weight now, and he's no longer a scaredy-cat. He's a little terrorist, actually. If he was a big dog, he'd be dangerous!

They're jealous too. They try to attack Max when he comes near me.

I'll get on more of a routine with feeding, like you suggested. Maybe that will help.

Good news, though!!!! We've gone almost 2 days without an accident!!

Scooby4
07-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Dogs will NOT go to the bathroom where they lie. That means after they learn they will be in their crate or a certain area they should stop relieving themselves there.
I have 4 dogs now myself and a cat. The newest adoptie isn't very well trained yet. I work during the day but allow the dogs to go in and out of the house as they please. I have a fenced yard. When I get home I give them a quick welcome and then go about my business. If I kept loving on them I would NEVER get anything done!!!
If I pass them in the hallway I will give them a good petting. I compensate where I need to. If I am working in the fenced area outside I include them. I try to coordinate my chores so I can spend the most time with them in that area. They respect that I can't pet them all the time. When I am ready to love or play with them they know it. Otherwise they can play with eachother.
Remember dogs don't know what time is. So just giving them 2 minutes of love will seem like forever to them!
You need to continue to do what you do and the dogs can take care of themselves. Ya need to co-exist together to get things to work out.
Ps. My dogs eat my cat's poop! The benefit is I don't have to clean the litter box as much!!!

MHMama
07-02-2004, 05:42 PM
stacwase
You will do fine. Chihuahuas give so much love and devotion when given the chance. I hope they do well with your sister but please tell her to give them a chance. They are probably so frightened right now.
If you need any help, let me know. I can't do much but I am here.

K9karen
07-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Oh. I'm suppoze ta coordinate my chores to spend more time w/ Logan? NOW ya tell me! I thought it was the other way around! ;) :p :rolleyes: :D

stacwase
07-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement!

We have reached 48 hours without an accident! Not that they're given much opportunity to have accidents, but still - it's an accomplishment!