PDA

View Full Version : Mickey

clara4457
06-30-2004, 06:25 AM
One of my favorite dogs was euthanized last week. My heart is still breaking over this.

Mickey was a terrific dog. He has been at the shelter for over a month and we were working hard to get him exposure. We had him at every adoption event where he was a perfect angel. He was loving and friendly to everyone and every other dog he met. I felt he was the perfect family dog. He loved kids, women, men, everyone. We used him to test other dogs as he had great play signals with other dogs. He went to doggie day care about 3 times a week and was a favorite with the staff there.

We all rejoiced when he was finally adopted one day. The adoption counselor said he went to a "great home". Two days after his adoption, the woman brought him back saying he was aggressive and had bitten her boyfriend. :eek:

You will never convince me that this dog bit anyone. Although he was a little unruly and we had been working with his jumping on people - he was never aggressive to anyone. I had my hand in him mouth, grabbed him by the legs, had my face right in his face, pulled his ears, tail and neck and the only thing he did was lick my face. The city shelter has a policy that any bite case, the dog is put down immediately, so Mickey was euthanized a few days later.

Here are some pictures of Mickey at an adoption event we had a month ago.

http://tutzauer.com/shelterhelpers/Images/MIckey%20Play%20Bow.JPG
Mickey in a play bow - his favorite position.

http://tutzauer.com/shelterhelpers/Images/IMG_0005.JPG
Mickey wanting kisses.

http://tutzauer.com/shelterhelpers/Images/IMG_0003.JPG
Mickey saying - Will you take me home? :(

Mickey - I know you never really had a good life, but I hope the time you spent with us at the shelter and the love and care you knew there will help you on your journey to the bridge. Wait for me there, because you have a special place in my heart and when the time comes I will be there with you. Make friends with Foxy, Buster, LIttle Bit, Smokey, Garfield, Puffin, TJ, Heidi, and Frodo until I get there. You will always have a special place in my heart.

ramanth
06-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Oh how sad!! :( Sometimes I wish shelters would need proof of a bite instead of someones word. :( :(

RIP Mickey.

slick
06-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Mickey:
It seems that you were neither loved nor appreciated here on earth except by Clara and the rest of the shelter staff. They loved you very much. Now, you will never know hunger or homelessness. Enjoy your eternal life at the RB Mickey and watch for Toshie. He'd love to be your friend.

lizbud
06-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Oh, how very sad for Mickey .:( From your personal experience
with this dog, I also doubt Mickey did bite the boyfriend at all.
What a damn shame, guess it wasn't such a "great" placement .
:( This reminds me of something in a book I've just finished
reading.

"With the human world, self-defense is a perfectly acceptable legal principle.
For dogs, however, it is they who have to bear the consequences, regardless
of where the blame lies. " The Dog Listener" Jan Fennell.

Rest in Peace Mickey. :(

Sudilar
07-01-2004, 01:39 PM
How truly unfair. I doubt that the dog ever bit anyone from what you describe of his temperament, Clara. My heart hurts for this poor unfortunate dog. At least he knew true love in the short time he was with you at the shelter. RIP, Mickey.

Cincy'sMom
07-01-2004, 03:58 PM
If the dog did indeed bote the boyfrined, ot sorta makes you wonder what the boyfriend did, since the dog showed no aggressive tendenacies before...

How very sad. RIP Mickey

Dot
07-01-2004, 09:30 PM
What a shame! Truly sad about poor Mickey!

Dot :-(

dukedogsmom
07-01-2004, 11:21 PM
That is so sad. And that law is really stupid! Poor Mickey. I'm sure he knew the love you felt for him and it made him happy. I can't believe they just took that woman's word about it and put him to sleep. That's so wrong. Relax at the RB, Mickey. Clara won't forget about you.