PDA

View Full Version : Update of Midnight

Laura's Babies
06-29-2004, 10:07 AM
I called the vet this morning because I am so concerned about Midnight.. She has hardly moved since I got her back from the vets yesterday. She has not eaten or drank ANYTHING in over 24 hours and she hardly picks her head up when I talk to her or pet her. When I try to pick her up, she crys like she is in so much pain. I figured she would have perked up by this morning and she seems no better so I got real worried and called the white coats. They told me to give it another 24 hours but I am really concerned about her not taking in any water for 48 hours? Anyone have any experience with this?? I just think she was to starved and I should have waited before I let her have all those shots and let her get stronger first.. Am I being just a silly, worried Mamma again? Should I try to get some water in her with a dropper? We have come to far to have anything happen to her NOW!

My new siggy with a picture of her in August 2003 when she was healthy and looking like a healthy girl..

catcrazylady
06-29-2004, 10:23 AM
I LOVE THE NEW SIG!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

I would be very concerned about her too. I would have thought she would have perked up a little by today. Is she up moving around at all?
Do you know how to check for Dehydration? You get the loose skin on the back of the neck or back and lift up and see how fast it goes back to normal. If it stays loose or doesn't snap back into place quickly then she is starting to dehydrate.
Some kitties get pretty sick with those shots and maybe she is just going to take longer to recover since she was in poor condition.
Don't start balming yourself for that either! You have given her more in the last day or two than she has probably ever had away from you! If there were issues with giving her shots until she was healthier then it was the vets job to determine that.
I wouldn't worry to much about the not eating yet but just watch for dehydration. That is when things get ugly.
How does she respond to you when you come into the room? Is she looking at you? Is she doing anything at all?

CatMama78
06-29-2004, 10:23 AM
You're not being silly at all. Hmm, I have not had this experience, but I would be very worried too. Can you call the vet back and express your concerns, mention that you just want to make sure that the lack of water is not a concern for them and do they think you should force some water into Midnight. The vets are used to concerned parents, so I'm sure they'll be happy to help. Oh good luck, I do hope Midnight's lack of energy and eating is just a side effect of her vet visit and not an illness or anything. Here come some prayers your way.

BTW I love your new siggy.

sirrahbed
06-29-2004, 10:39 AM
Here is hoping for some better news about Midnight, Laura!!! Please keep us updated.
Oh yes, and I also love your new siggy:) Very nice.

Grace
06-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Do you have a syringe - could you give her water that way? What about milk or 12/ and 1/2 - maybe she'd go for that?

If it was me, and none of these worked, I'd take her back to the Vet by the end of the day. At least they could give her some fluids via clysis.

Denyce
06-29-2004, 11:12 AM
I would be extremely concerned about dehydration. You should be forcing some water on her if she isn't drinking. If she becomes very dehydrated it will be even tougher on her to recover from whatever is going on. Probably a reaction to the shots. Check her gums...if they are pale and sticky she is dehydrated. Or do the skin pinch test. If you pinch the skin and lift and it doesn't drop right back down flat she is dehydrated. Cats can do without food for 48 hours but water isn't so good.

Denyce

Denyce
06-29-2004, 11:13 AM
*L* Ok I just read the whole thread and saw that catcrazylady said the same things I did. Do you have a syringe without a needle? They are great for force feeding some water.

Denyce

jazzcat
06-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Oh no, I would be worried too. If you aren't able to force fluids on her then I would call the vet back with your concerns. Maybe he can offer a suggestion to get her drinking.

kimlovescats
06-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Laura .... get some Nutri-Cal and force it on her ... by smearing it all over her mouth and nose! It's messy, but worth it to get some energy and nutrients in her!!! Please keep us updated, and if she seems any worse ... go to a more concerned vet!

((((HUGS))));)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Poor Midnight! I was hoping for a nice glowing report about how well she had adjusted. :( Those durn shots. :(

You've got some great advice here and there's no way I could add any better.

Come on Midnight, hang in there and you'll feel better real soon!

I'm wondering if the change in scenery has anything to do with her "funk?" If so, I'm sure having the shot effect wear off and after she's got more food in her she'll be feeling better and will be back to her old loveable self.....hopefully....

Laura's Babies
06-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Tubby's Mom, this is not a change of scenery for her.. She USE to stay in my house until she moved away last fall for 4 to 5 days at a time before her Mommie would come get her and I kept her and her kittens the last time I was home while Mommie went out of town... This, she has ALWAYS claimed as HER home!! Now that she is finally HOME, she is to sick to enjoy it.

Went to Pet Smart today and got another litter pan for my gang, one my son can take with him when he has them all while I am at work... This morning, she was just laying on her side, not moving... Now she is up on her tummy with her eyes open and meows at me when I got in there. (Am I putting a false hope of improvement here?) My daughter suggested some baby food meat so I got some and offered it to her.. NOPE! Didn't want any, couldn't tempt her. I did the skin test for dehyfration and it snaps right back down so far. Maybe.....Maybe..... Maybe..., shall I get my hopes up?? I didn't try to pick her up anymore but I just want to pick her up and love her till she feels better.. NONE of this is her fault!!

Gee, I guess you guys KNOW how much it helps to have such wonderful support during times like these but may I say "THANK YOU!!!" anyway??

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-29-2004, 02:01 PM
I didn't know that she had actually been inside your house - good for her...and good for you for letting her in! :D

I'm no expert, but I would be like you and would take this as a sign of improvement also....now if she would just eat! Maybe spread some of the babyfood on her face and feetsies so she has to lick it off like Kim suggested...

Please keep us updated. :)

catcrazylady
06-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Laura it sounds like she might be coming around a little. I pray that by tomorrow she will be her old self again but it still may take a few more days to get completely over it.
Just watch for the dehydration which is the most important right now. She will be ok without food for another day or so. She might feel better if she ate but she probably knows best.
Hang in there and keep us posted. Just give her lots of love and attention and I'm sure she will feel better by tomorrow.
Poor Midnight! I know we will have a great report on you soon. Bless her heart and yours too Laura!

Laura's Babies
06-29-2004, 02:20 PM
This is Chester and Midnight last August, in my house. See how much he loved her? He was broken hearted when they moved away and he no longer had his playmate...so I got Amy.. But this is Midnight last year, snuggeling with Chester....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/p5666e8e56b38c000102388133461056a/f8102e1f.jpg

Somewhere, on a CD, I have shots of her and Chester when they were first introduced the first time she came inside for a playdate. She couldn't have been anymore than 3 to 4 months old then. In THIS picture I figure she was 5 to 6 months.

kimlovescats
06-29-2004, 02:56 PM
So precious!!! Now not only is Midnight happy, but so is your sweet Chester!!! Just gives me goosbumps!!!:D