PDA

View Full Version : I think I did a real dumb thing yesterday...

moosmom
06-29-2004, 10:03 AM
I just got back from the grocery store and was getting out of my car, when this poor thin gentleman :( on a bicycle approached me. He said he was hungry :( and asked me if I had any cans that I could give him. Unfortunately I didn't. However, I told him I had some spare change I could give him. At the time, I had a few dollar bills and a $20. It was my allowance till my next paycheck which won't be till a week from this Friday.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out what I THOUGHT was a dollar bill and handed it to him. I swore I looked at it before giving it to him, but I'm not so sure now. He thanked me and went on his way.

Well, it wasn't until I was going through the Wendy's Drive-Thru did I realize that I THINK I gave him my only $20 bill. It was supposed to buy cat food and litter. :eek:

Then I thought maybe, just MAYBE, I put the $20 bill somewhere in my apartment so I wouldn't spend it stupidly. Can I remember where I put it???Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. :p

*sigh* Oh well, it's not the end of the world. I do have a full tank of gas and food in my fridge. Maybe it'll turn up, maybe it won't. Who knows. I just needed to vent.

Thanks for listening guys!!

dukedogsmom
06-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Oh man! That is so bad. I guess that guy really likes you now :) I'd be looking for cans now if I were you.

ramanth
06-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Well Donna, I hope the guy truely does spend it on food and not "drinks". :) I'll float you a loan. :D

The other day an old guy on a bike came up to my parents door. I opened it, holding Kia back (she wanted to be friendly, but by the way she was straining, HE didn't know that. ;) )

Anyway, he just wanted water and so I found an old water bottle I knew my parents wouldn't miss and filled it with water and ice. He was SOO shocked that I had put ice in it that he started to cry. He just thanked me over and over. Later I found wild flowers left on the front porch.

:)

CatMama78
06-29-2004, 10:44 AM
rmanth, what a touching story :)

moosmom, yikes! 20.00 is not chump change. well hopefully the money will go to good use.

Denyce
06-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Well hopefully you accrued 20 dollars worth of good karma anyway. :) . But that hurts.

Pam
06-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Don't you hate it when you do dumb things! I do them all the time! :rolleyes: Just the other day I was in a store. The bill came to $17.00 and I handed the clerk a $20.00 (or so I thought, until I saw the look on her face.) I actually had only given her a dollar and I joked and said "I thought this was the Dollar Store!" Fortunately she laughed right along with me! LOL! Hopefully that man will use the money for food.

Kimmy, your story is so touching I could almost cry. God bless that poor man and you too. :(

One day last summer it must have been about 95 degrees and the humidity was awful. The trash truck was coming down the street and I remember thinking how horrible it must be to have to work out there in the heat, etc. My next door neighbor ran into the house and brought a coke out for each of the guys on the truck. I was ashamed that I didn't think to do anything like that. All we need to do is look around and we can see so many people in need. :(

joanofark
06-29-2004, 11:44 AM
That is so sweet and sad at the same time, ramanth? Thanks, for sharing that with us. Poor old guy.:(

God bless him:(

moosmom
06-29-2004, 12:06 PM
I'm more angry for my stupidity. Part of me still thinks that I put it somewhere so I wouldn't spend it. But I've torn my apartment apart looking for it and NADA!!!! I just hope my cat food and cat litter last till my next payday.

Kimmy, thanks for the offer! :)

Other than that, I'll live.

lynnestankard
06-29-2004, 12:14 PM
I can understand you being angry with yourself Donna - but the gentleman who received the money didn't know it was a mistake - I bet he blessed you to heaven. :) :)

Kimmy - your story made me cry - doesn't it just show how a little act of kindness can make someone so happy?

Lynne

RICHARD
06-29-2004, 12:43 PM
They next time you lose something, try this...

Turn off the TV/sterro and find a quiet place to sit....

Get comfy and walk yourself thru the situation.

Try to remember where you were, what you were doing-you'll remember what you did.

I did that with a friend, who had lost money in her apartment....

When she remembered what she did with the money-she jumped up and ran toward the spot whe had stashed it!!

It really works!

NoahsMommy
06-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Even though it wasn't totally intended, that was a very sweet thing you did. I think God works in strange ways, maybe that $20 made a really large difference to that man. :)

Gosh, don't you hate waiting until the next paycheck? I always seem to spend all my $$ about 2 days after a paycheck and then have to wait for 13 more....not fun.

Kimmy, what a precious story. :)

shais_mom
06-29-2004, 01:12 PM
OH Donna!
What a bummer!!
But I hope it comes back to you tenfold!!!

DJFyrewolf36
06-29-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm sure the man was really greatful!! Hopefully he'll spend it on helping himself instead of hurting himself.

I know how annoying losing money can be. I have a dog that likes to EAT money :rolleyes:. Also, a couple of weeks ago I was at the store and I THOUGHT I had a 10 in my pocket...but nooo. I think I dropped it at the other store...well I hope SOMEONE was happy lol. Eh, I WAS at the dollar store when I lost it, maybe someone got something useful.

ramanth that was an awesome story! Im glad there are good people out there!

Shelteez2
06-29-2004, 01:38 PM
That is why you guys need a system like our money.

You would never mistake $1 for $20 because we have $1 coins and $20 bills are green. $5 bills are blue, $10 bills are purple, $50's red and $100's brown....... and ya'll can make fun of us for our monopoly money all you want...... LOL

Seriously though that sucks, but like others have said you have a credit of $20 worth of karma :D

Uabassoon
06-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
That is why you guys need a system like our money.

You would never mistake $1 for $20 because we have $1 coins and $20 bills are green. $5 bills are blue, $10 bills are purple, $50's red and $100's brown....... and ya'll can make fun of us for our monopoly money all you want...... LOL

Seriously though that sucks, but like others have said you have a credit of $20 worth of karma :D

I've always thought that. I would love it if our money was in different colors. When I go to Trinidad I know that for breakfast I use the green bill and for sodas I use the blue bill, I never get confused or have to stare at the money trying to figure out how much it is.

anna_66
06-29-2004, 03:59 PM
Well even if you did give him the 20, I'm sure like everyone else has said, it will come back to you 10 fold! But I seriously do hope you find the money stashed in your house:)

Kim, that was such a sweet thing to do!

Can I share a little story too?
We were in Subway, I took out my money and paid then we went and sat down. Shortly after that a woman walks over to us with a $10 bill and asks if it belonged to me. I her no, I didn't believe it was mine. But come to find out when we got home I was $10 short. Guess it was just her lucky day, she must have needed it more than I did:)

Cincy'sMom
06-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
They next time you lose something, try this...

Turn off the TV/sterro and find a quiet place to sit....

Get comfy and walk yourself thru the situation.

Try to remember where you were, what you were doing-you'll remember what you did.

I did that with a friend, who had lost money in her apartment....

When she remembered what she did with the money-she jumped up and ran toward the spot whe had stashed it!!

It really works!

A few weeks ago, I went to a graduation party. We were going to play volleyball so I took off my rings and and watch and oput them inthe side pocket of my purse. Later, when we went to leave, ( after dark of course), I had my watch and wedding band, but not engagement ring.

Ralph turned the van around and back we went. Once our friends realized what I was looking for they all started helping...the "host" called her husband to find out extactly which garbage cans he put stuff in and her brother started dumping them and digging though t the trash. I went out to the van, leaned over and was lookin on the floor of it, hoping it fell out while in the van. I stopped put my head down on the seat and was about ready to cry. I took a deep breath, walked across the parking lot to the exact spot I had dropped the ring. I couldn't believe first that I found it and second that I my friends were willing to dumpster dive for me.

I hop eyou find your money Donna, but if not, like others have said, I'm sure you have bought yourself some karma :)

RICHARD
06-29-2004, 05:59 PM
I know where I am going for Halloween this year...

Me: "Trick or Treat!!"

Moo'sMom: "What a strange costume-look at you-what are you supposed to be?

Me: "A beggar on a bike!!"

MM: "WHY YOU LITTLE......Get off my porch!!!

:eek:

carole
06-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Oh Donna, let us hope this gentlemen was genuine and really needed the money for food, he would have thought all his christmases had come at once, I bet he could not believe his luck, I too believe good things will come out of your generosity, even if you did not intend to be quite that generous, your warm heart will be repaid, have faith.

I remember a young boy once biking past my house, he came in and said he found a ten dollar bill outside my house, was it mine? I said no, you might as well keep it, but he wouldn't, that's a kid and half right? he did the right thing ,because a few minutes later a guy on a motorcycle kept going up and down the path, looking for something, I asked him if he had lost anything, and sure enough it was ten dollars, so he went home a happy man, that Ten dollars could have been really important to him.:)

davidpizzica
06-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi, Donna! Believe me I know what it is like to live paycheck to paycheck! But you are the kindest, most warmhearted person I know. Even by accident you showed that man that part of you. I only hope that even if he has the twenty, that he will buy food with it. Meanwhile, if you concentrate, You may still find it in your apartment! ((((HUGS)))) to you, sweetheart!

captain
06-29-2004, 07:02 PM
Donna,
May it come back to you ten-fold!

Manth,
That was touching, it made me cry .......

RICHARD,
I do that all the time, and it works so well. NOW, just to train my "I CAN"T FIND MY ..............." husband ....... :D

moosmom
06-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Well, he was a sweet man, kinda desheveled and thanked me for my kindness.

I know sometimes people will buy things OTHER than food (like liquor or drugs) but he did look quite thin. I just hope that if it's not food he's buying, at least buy a halfway decent bottle of the good stuff. :D

I have a story too. A few years ago me, my daughter and my niece took a trip to NYC for the weekend. We were walking down the street going to get some breakfast at a local deli. A transient approached me and said he was hungry and could I spare some change to get something to eat. I had a container of flavored yogurt in my pocket so I handed it to him. He gave me the most indecent look and said, "I don't want no damn yogurt!!" I told him, "Well then, I guess you're not THAT hungry, are you??" I believe he was more in the mood for a liquid breakfast.

The three of us walked away laughing hysterically.

RICHARD
06-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
I believe he was more in the mood for a liquid breakfast.

If you leave yogurt in the sun for a little while it DOES get watery.....:eek: ;)

QueenScoopalot
06-30-2004, 10:33 PM
A few tales to tell here. My husband was walking the dogs one day several years ago, and a country bumpkin type with an accent asked Dave "can you spare a nickel"? As usual, he's the type to give away $$ to those who ask, so he reached into his pocket and pulled out a dime, and hands it to the guy. The guy was so overwhelmed with the dime he kept saying over and over "thank you sir"!!!! Another time we went out for dinner w/friends, and were walking around looking for some fun shops to go into. when this homeless guy asks us "if we can spare any money so he could get a drink". Honesty paid off for him..we gave him a bit of change. Donna...maybe you'll luck out like I did several years back, and find $80.00 in the street! No one around searching, so we all went out for dinner. I feel sorry for the person that lost the money, but how does one post "found money" in the lost & found!:eek: :eek: :eek: I love finding money! I found a 14 carat gold chain at a gas station...I should sell it. Hawk eyes...I miss nothing!:D :D :D

DogLover9501
06-30-2004, 11:47 PM
I agree, you need money like ours!! ;)

Petluvr013
07-11-2004, 01:02 AM
ok 3 things (ones a story)...

1. I've heard that in other countries (other than U.S.A) If you put money in the washing mashine it will dissolve, is that true, if it is that must really stink!!!

2. I feel horrible for those less fortunate, but I can never understand why they ask for a can of food, if they can't afford a can of food how can they afford a can opener to open it with?

3. A story or 2... (since everyone else is sharing) My dad and I went to the gas station X-mas eve, and there was this homeless guy outside and he asked to talk to us after we left, so we went in and bought stuff and then went back outside, then he said "can you buy me some whiskey?" I got really mad, because thats why your homeless sir, you spent it all on liquor, that really made me mad!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: A different time my mom and I where planning my sisters graduation party, and we where looking in a pavilion when we saw "trash bags" we got closer and it was a guy!!! so we left $2 and walked away, then we saw him when we where driving out of the park, he was smoking a cigarette!!! So Obviously the money went to a HORIBBLE cause!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Things like that ^ make me really mad, it's like people this is why you have no home!!!!

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sirrahbed
07-11-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by ramanth

The other day an old guy on a bike came up to my parents door. I opened it, holding Kia back (she wanted to be friendly, but by the way she was straining, HE didn't know that. ;) )

Anyway, he just wanted water and so I found an old water bottle I knew my parents wouldn't miss and filled it with water and ice. He was SOO shocked that I had put ice in it that he started to cry. He just thanked me over and over. Later I found wild flowers left on the front porch.

Just found this on my Sunday morning and found it to be such a touching story!! Made ME cry!!! What a small gesture to offer someone something so simple as ice with water but he was grateful:) That is just a sweet, sweet story.
Now, my belief is Christianity so I now have a passage going like a tape in my head! It is this: whatever you do for the least of these, you do for Me" -don't know where it is though:o
...and to be thanked with wildflowers ...how very sweet! Maybe he was an angel:D

DONNA- I have the feeling that that man must have really needed that $20 and that you did nothing "stupid". You were being warmhearted and going with your gut. Your other stories prove you are not gullible. (((((Donna)))))

moosmom
07-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Well, I never did find the money. But losing it isn't important anymore. It WAS at the time cuz it was the only money I had till my next paycheck. But somehow I managed. It just goes to show you that things DO happen for a reason.

Great stories guys!!!

davidpizzica
07-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Well, I never did find the money. But losing it isn't important anymore. It WAS at the time cuz it was the only money I had till my next paycheck. But somehow I managed. It just goes to show you that things DO happen for a reason.

Great stories guys!!! Donna, I'm glad that everything worked out. No matter what he used it for, it was a kind gesture because you are such a kind person. Love you! ((((HUGS))))

Tonya
07-11-2004, 07:31 PM
That's ok, moosmom. What goes around comes around in life, and you will be rewarded for your good deeds!

One of the dumber things I've done...One time, a guy approached me and gave some b.s. story about how he just moved out here and just got a new job, so he didn't have his first paycheck yet. His mother was in the hospital in Oakland, and he needed money to get a bus ticket there. Being the sucker that I am...I had no cash, so I wrote him a check. I gave the guy a check with my home address on it...How dumb could I be!? A week or so later, I overheard him telling the same story to someone else in the same parking lot. lol.

Tonya
07-11-2004, 07:32 PM
p.s.

Something my girlfriend always says about giving homeless people money..."It is between them and God how they spend that money...it is between God and I that I help people."

moosmom
07-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Tonya,

Absolutely!!!!

My Peanuts
07-12-2004, 11:26 AM
If the man was truly hungry and used the money for food, then you should feel really good about yourself.

Ramanth-your story was really touching. My dad was a mail carrier for over 30 years and he used to tell us stories like that. We live near Chicago, so there are a lot of extreme temperatures (hot and cold) here. My dad told us that we wouldn't believe how many people would give him cold drinks in the summer and invite him in the house to warm up in the winter. He used to tell us about this elderly woman that used to put his coat in the dryer to warm it up in the winter :). If you brought that man to tears I’m sure he told someone how special your gesture was.

DJFyrewolf36
07-12-2004, 12:17 PM
On the 4th of July, I was out getting more "supplies" lol and this guy came up to me asking for money for food and that he had just moved out here and blah blah blah. I didn't care much really, I had $4 in my pocket and just handed it to him. I figure it WAS the 4th and everyone should be happy :). He WAS really greatful, though and he was with a pregnant lady *his wife I believe* so I feel good on my end!

What you said Tonya really applied here!