PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do...

teenster3
06-29-2004, 04:00 AM
My husband can't stand our newest addition... my Eskimo (Waffles) that my friend gave us back in Feb.
See, she's still a puppy (8 months) & I have posted about her before!
She's starting to destroy things while we are gone at work during the day. She's also peeing & pooping (all the time) on the carpet in the living room.
The compromise is: If I want to keep her, I have to keep her crated every time there is no one around to "watch" her. I just hate the thought of having to use a crate when we've both been leaving her out of it for so long. (she cries when put in there & doesn't stop)
My husband says: he has no attachment to her & he's sick to death of her destroying everything in sight! He also thinks that she's "changed" the behavior of our Lhasa (Wicket). He's been aggressive since the day I got him but, was more playful before she came along. My hubby doesn't think Wicket likes her but, I just can't or won't give her up!!!!
I've been told to try professional training but there again, hubby says: it's a waste of time & money. He thinks Waffles is too stupid & Wicket is too head-strong!:rolleyes:
Has anybody had this happen to them & what did you do?
I think she's just a pup & WILL grow out of it in time!
She's a mini. american eskimo......does anyone else have one that can tell me more about them???

Cookiebaker
06-29-2004, 06:30 AM
DEFINITELY give the crate a try.

When I first got Malone, I was totally against it. It wasn't fair to see him all cooped up and he would whine and whine.

But then he started acting like a puppy chewing things, and he NEVER slept. After 3 weeks, I was totally worn out from chasing him non-stop to see what he was chewing on next.

Yes, it took a while 'til he was happy to go into his crate. But it is so worth it! He would not pee/poo in his crate so it helped potty training immensely. When I couldn't supervise him, I knew he was safe. And when he went in it, he went to sleep.

My boys are still crated during the day when I go to work. They are out of it the rest of the time. Sometimes, Emerson will wake up at 5 or 5:30 and not go back to sleep, so I will put him in the crate so the rest of us can sleep in a bit.

There are plenty of resources on line and at book stores. Please think about it, and it could really save your relationship with both your hubby and your dog!

Pam
06-29-2004, 06:43 AM
I second what Cookiebaker said. The crate will be a tremendous aid in housebreaking Waffles and keeping your things safe. I am not worried about Waffles as much (because I know he can learn) as I am about your hubby's attitude. It is best to be 'of one mind' when trying to train a pup. It is a very stressful time (frankly I am glad those days are long behind me! :rolleyes: ) and you need each other to be working together on this. Some dogs are a little more challenging and headstrong than others. I have had 6 poodles in my adult life and each one was different, with their own personality. I hope that Waffles and Wicket can eventually come to a place when they can co-exist somewhat peacefully, even if they do not become best buddies. Puppies can often get on an older dog's nerves. :rolleyes: How old is Wicket?

teenster3
06-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Wicket will be 4 in August.
I'm just hoping that everything will work out & fall into place like it should. I do wish my hubby was more supportive in her though.
I understand it costs money to replace things but, things aren't as important to me as animals are!!!
I think his biggest concern is replacing the carpeting, & other expensive items.
I agree that the crate will have to be sufficient for now!