PDA

View Full Version : It really makes you mad

MHMama
06-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Two weeks ago in Polk County here in Florida a pit bull fighting ring was discovered. Over 100 pit bulls were taken from the owner along with a lot of fighting devices etc.
Of those 100 pit bulls, 17 have given birth to puppies and many more are due. They can not destroy any of the animals, even the most aggressive because they still have to go to court but they can't put them in a pin with other dogs due to their violent behavior.
Due to this over crowding, they are now having to put to sleep all the strays or unwanted dogs that are brought in after only 4 days max. So not only do the pit bulls suffer due to this ridiculous sport but also any poor dog on the street picked up.
I would love to ring the neck of anyone who thinks pit bull fighting is entertaining.
No wonder Miami outlawed pit bulls. Not because of the good pit bulls but because it was the only way to stop the pit bull fighting. Everyone has to suffer due to these heartless people.Here is the story in the Lakeland newspaper (http://www.polkonline.com/stories/052304/loc_dogsfound.shtml)

Kfamr
06-28-2004, 07:03 PM
:( It makes me sad an angered at the same time.

I get all scared when I see two humans fighting, let alone 2 dogs. When one of mine make the other yelp, I put an end to it there. I just cant imagine how anyone could see that as entertainment.

dukedogsmom
06-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Things like this just make me sick. So unfair for all the dogs involved. I think they should make the idiots involved fight each other for their lives. Now that, I'd pay to see. They would get what they deserved.

QueenScoopalot
06-28-2004, 09:32 PM
This makes me so sick hearing all this. Poor dogs that have to suffer due to human (if they can be called that) greed, and entertainment. Grr!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: And I pity anyone who loses their beloved pet while they drag this out in court for who knows how long! :(

stacwase
06-29-2004, 07:21 AM
Oh, that's just awful.

It seems like there should be a way to make the owners take care of the dogs while awaiting the trial. Couldn't they put the owners on house arrest and make them take care of their dogs, so that other dogs wouldn't have to be put to sleep?

Poor, poor, poor dogs.

MHMama
06-29-2004, 08:05 AM
"It seems like there should be a way to make the owners take care of the dogs while awaiting the trial. Couldn't they put the owners on house arrest and make them take care of their dogs, so that other dogs wouldn't have to be put to sleep? "

Actually, the people involved are in jail. They not only had animal cruelty charges but drugs were also involved. The conditions at the home are not anything the Humane Society can even think about returning the animals too, even for a short period.

This is a no win situation and although I love the pit bull breed, I can understand why places like Miami have out lawed them entirely. There are just too many cruel and ignorant people who exploit them.

moosmom
06-29-2004, 09:09 AM
That is also a huge problem here in Michigan, mostly in Detroit. They have a law here that it's illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to own or walk a pitbull. Any pitbulls that are confiscated are immediately euthanized.

My friend, Debbie McDonald, from the Michgan Humane Society's Animal Cruelty Investigation Unit said that pit bull fighting is an enormous money maker in Detroit. She said it breaks her heart when they get one in wagging it's tail begging to be loved, because she knows what the outcome is. She said that these dogs are worth thousands of dollars to them (the owners). I don't think I'd want her job. She told me I could ride with them one day to see how they work so I just may take her up on it.

QueenScoopalot
06-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
That is also a huge problem here in Michigan, mostly in Detroit. They have a law here that it's illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to own or walk a pitbull. Any pitbulls that are confiscated are immediately euthanized.

My friend, Debbie McDonald, from the Michgan Humane Society's Animal Cruelty Investigation Unit said that pit bull fighting is an enormous money maker in Detroit. She said it breaks her heart when they get one in wagging it's tail begging to be loved, because she knows what the outcome is. She said that these dogs are worth thousands of dollars to them (the owners). I don't think I'd want her job. She told me I could ride with them one day to see how they work so I just may take her up on it. Gee Donna, I'd love to see you on Animal Cops Detroit! Can I come too? I love those shows even though some are so heartbreaking. :(