PDA

View Full Version : Gully Puppy Class Update... (1 Pic)...

ParNone
06-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Gully's first puppy class was last Saturday. Huge class. 2 Boxers, 2 Beagles, 2 Papillions, Border Collie, Pit Bull, Weimaraner, German Shepherd and a Pug. So there was major chaos. One of my fears was that Gully would be barking too much. Well the German Shepherd next to him, started growling and barking at Gully. I was busy trying to keep Gully from barking back, when the instructor came flying across the room and sprayed bitter apple right in the GSD's mouth. I was preparing to tackle her, if she came near Gully and I with the bottle, but she left us alone. Paranoid, I kept him busy the whole class, to make sure his barking stayed under control. I may have to say something to her next week about how I want to handle the barking though, because I want Gully to think of strange people as friendly, not unpredictable, nasty-tasting-bottle-wielding, psychotics. That's just way too severe a correction for a Collie, IMO.

It was such a chaotic class, most of the dogs were either scared to death or aggressive or hyper to the hilt. Poor Logan the Boxer, who was sitting on the other side of Gully, got so scared he peed all over himself. The only 2 dogs that seemed to be happy and stable in the situation were Gully and Atlas, the Pit Bull. I think Atlas recognized that fact, because he really wanted to come over and play with Gully. But the instructor didn't allow any of the dogs to play together, because of the chaotic situation. I hope things are better next week. I've a feeling not everybody will show back up.

We spent a lil' while walking around the store doing "Sits". So Gully got to meet quite a few people. He did awesome. He's not gregarious with people, like Oz, so he just sat calmly while they petted him. No jumping up. He actually seems more Collie like in that respect. Sometimes I think of Oz as a big ole 65lb terrier. I think he's gonna be fine. He takes a lil' longer to learn things than Oz, but so far he seems more confident than Oz, so it kind of evens them out in a class situation.

Here's a pic of him zonked after class. He must have been exhausted, because it's usually impossible to get a pic of him sleeping.

http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/v80/ParNone/gully_sleep1.jpg

Par...

G.P.girl
06-28-2004, 04:35 PM
aw. that's such a cute picture. poor pup must have been so tired. he's a good boy for being good at the class :)

anna_66
06-28-2004, 05:06 PM
First let me say a big "AWWWWW" because that picture is too sweet (it almost makes me teeth hurt;) ).

And second, I can't believe that she just went up and sprayed a dog that wasn't even hers:eek: I think personally I would have went off on her. The owner should have been the one to correct the dog. I wouldn't blame some of the people if they didn't come back.

That said, I hope you and Gully don't have any bad experiences and have a wonderful time!

K9soul
06-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Par, that picture is so precious, I just want to bend down and kiss that collie schnozz of his.

That instructor spraying bitter apple sounded extreme to me too.. Unless the dog was about to take a bite out of someone, that was a rather extreme reaction and I agree with Anna that it should be left to the owner to handle it. If the owner wasn't handling it I would think the instructor should ask them to. It might be best if not all came back, it sounds like a large chaotic class, perhaps it would be better if it were a bit smaller, but maybe next time will go better.

It should be a good experience but like you said I'd be wary of the methods, because a collie especially takes a very very gentle hand in training or they can become despondant and spirit-broken. I remember how light I had to be with my boys... just a whispered "no" was enough to make Willie depressed for an hour...

ParNone
06-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Thanks G.P.girl! I think he was mentally exhausted, because we really didn't do that much actual exercise in the class. It's so hard to get sleeping pics of either him or Oz. All I have to do is move, much less reach for the camera, and they're up and alert.

Hi anna! Yeh, I thought it was a lil' over the top too. Granted it did work with this particular dog, but I can see it being disastrous with a soft dog. One of Oz's agility instructors would always consult with you first about a correction she was going to do to your dog. Theory being since it's suppose to be a fun game with your dog, nothing negative should be coming from you. But she recognized very quick that Oz wasn't a dog that could be corrected at all from anybody. He'd get upset, if another dog was being corrected, much less if it had been directed at him. Different training for Different Dogs. I'm just not too sure Gully's instructor understands that.

Hola k9soul! I think you have to have one to truly comprehend how sensitive they can be. Not too long ago, I was talking to an agility trainer and she was telling me how pleasantly surprised she was by Oz, because normally Collies are dumb as dirt. Hummmmm... She happens to have terriers and if she's expecting the same personality from a Collie or that she can use negative training methods on a Collie, that she could get away with on a terrier, I can see where she's getting the impression. There's just a whole different approach you have to take with them or they will shut down on you in a nanosecond. I've had to become almost "Zen-like" with Oz, because it's not even enough for a positive outward approach, it has to come from within too. He's sensitive to any upset or stress from me, even though it's not directed at him. When he rides in the car with me, I have to make a mental note before we head out, that I will not get angry or upset with any idiotic drivers we encounter. You learn to have a lot of inner peace, when you've got a Collie. He's probably done wonders for my blood pressure.;)

Par...