PDA

View Full Version : Ut-oh

catnapper
06-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Hubby's driving across the country this week to drop my son off at his cousin's for the summer. He just called me because he got stopped in Georgie for speeding. Hubby NEVER speeds. Never. He usually uses his speed control to set the speed limit and rides from there. A Georgia cop tagged him going 74 in a 55 zone. Impossible he says because 1) the cop was driving in the opposite direction, then turned around to pull him over and 2) He had his cruise control like normal. The cop was arrogant and said, "Well you can go to court to fight it." yeah right.. the ticket would be cheaper than a return trip and he knows it. He was pulled over because the cop saw a Penssylvania license plate.

Is there ANYTHING we can do to fight the ticket without showing up to court? It was pure speed trap scenario! Only hubby wasn't even close to speeding! We don't know how much the ticket is for because the cop gave my husband a card with a number to call. God, this could be hundreds of dollars. We drove my son down because we didn't have the money to fly him down. Flying might have been cheaper!

Now... this is *slightly* illegal, but could hubby just not pay the ticket? We've never been in Georgia before and likely never will again. They could theoretically issue a warrant for his arrest, but since we'll never cross into Georgia again, nothing can be done. Heck, we have an arrst warrant issued for hubby's ex-wife's arrest (for refusal to show up for several court dates regarding child support she refuses to pay) but she's not returning to Pennsylvania, and she's not worried about it, so should we worry about a speeding ticket?

ramanth
06-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Sorry no advice, but sorry to hear of the predicament.

I got caught in a speedtrap once in 1997 and tried to fight it and lost.

The speed limit goes from 25 mph to 55 mph and there is a hill in between. I was doing 25 and just took my foot off the accelorator to coast down the hill. (I hate riding the brake) I was doing a whooping 30 mph by the time I got to the bottom of the hill and the officer pulled me over because I was doing 5 over.

I could see the 55 mph sign up ahead and as far as I know you can accelorate so that you are doing the new speed limit by the time you reach the sign, so I tried to fight it and the judge said "pay the ticket".

:mad:

It was the last speeding ticket I ever got. *knock on wood*

lizzielou742
06-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Well, I don't know about speeding tickets, but once my boyfriend and I were visiting friends in New York City. We got a parking ticket in Brooklyn and we decided not to pay it. We thought, what are they gonna do, track us down? Well, that's exactly what they did. They traced the license plate # to our address in Kentucky and sent collection notices out the wazoo. By the time my boyfriend showed them to me, it had been turned over to a collection agency & we had accrued almost $100 in extra fines (on top of the $115 parking ticket, which honestly I don't even understand why we got it)!! And they were threatening to put this all on our credit report. Nearly $250 later, the ONLY tickets I will ignore are parking tickets given by University of Kentucky police!! LOL :)

That sucks about your hubby though. I got busted once in Ohio the same way. There was NO WAY I was going 84 in a 65 - my speedometer only went up to 70 and I had the cruise on 65!! The cops said he'd been "chasing me for miles." That's funny because I WAS IN THE SLOW LANE THE WHOLE TIME! I ended up just sucking it up and paying the ticket - $90. It's not fair!!!

Freckles
06-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
as far as I know you can accelorate so that you are doing the new speed limit by the time you reach the sign.
I've never heard that before. I've always assumed that when you reach the sign, THAT's when you can speed up.

CatMama78
06-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Yuk! Call the courthouse and see if there is a way to contest while out of state. That is totally unfair and makes me quite angry when the people who are suppose to serve and protect, take advantage and screw us instead :mad: . It's just overinflated sense of power and it's laughable.