PDA

View Full Version : Fisters Family Album - Peter Bruegel

jonza
06-28-2004, 12:14 PM
Another one for all you art lovers out there!

As some of you know, I have had the privilege of seeing many pictures from Fisters mysterious "Family Album". I asked him about it again recently, and he came up with this interesting example from the 16th century. His family go way way back, as we saw when he showed us his "Original Sphinx" photo!

Fisters’ family were never ones to miss out on a free meal, so they were usually present at most feasts and culinary functions in their local village. The picture below is a typical example of Fister's cousin Van Fister and his relatives partying.

http://img67.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Bruegel-Wedding.jpg
The Peasant Wedding 1568 Pieter Bruegel (1525-1569)
Post-Impressionism. Oil on panel 114 x 163 cm. Kunsthistorisches Museum.

The painting "Peasant Wedding" by the important 16th century Flemish painter, Peter Bruegel, celebrates in its technique the true purpose of marriage and is a thoroughly practical guide for every bride-to-be. Crucial in every marriage, as in every painting, is the inclusion of as many cats as possible.
When a woman imagines a possible husband, there is often a tendency to dream of a man who, while being obviously different from herself, will nevertheless share her interests, agree with her opinions, and tell her how wise and right she is about everything. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
He must, of course also accept her cat or cats.
Bruegel's bride is seated in the midst of the gathering. But where is the groom? That is the mystery of this painting; it has been asked by critics these 400 years. Walter Gibson writes: "Unlike the bride, the groom cannot be readily distinguished, and writers have exercised considerable ingenuity in explaining his supposed absence."

I asked Fister about this, and he came up with the following interesting but rather cryptic story:

"Ah yes, a few years ago, I was addressing this question in a seminar presented at the Aesthetic Realism Foundation. I got the following answer":

Aesthetic Realism consultant and artist Dotty Koppelcat says that the cat is the third partner necessary in any marriage. Bruegel's 'Peasant Wedding' is an exemplification of the Aesthetic Realism idea. 'The Bruegel 'Peasant Wedding' is the wedding of a person to the cat.
In one of my first Aesthetic Realism consultations I learned the reason my marriage had ended. My consultants said to me: You thought you could love a cat but you didn't love the world. You didn't feel the way that you saw a cat depended on the way you saw the world".

Well, I certainly agree with Fister on a lot of things, but I have to admit, I'll never really understand him! :D :D :D

Here are some earlier examples from Fisters "Family Album":

The Secret of the Sphinx! (http://207.44.135.130/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30091&highlight=fisters)

Andy Warhol (http://207.44.135.130/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20123&highlight=fisters)

Cezanne (http://207.44.135.130/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20001&highlight=fisters)

Edwina's Secretary
06-28-2004, 12:19 PM
What a thrill to see another page from Fister's family album! It has been such a long time, but as always, it is worth it. (although I must say....his writing is a bit over my head! )

lizzielou742
06-28-2004, 01:44 PM
LOL!!! I love this! I was an art history major in college and this is too funny to me!!

Barbara
06-28-2004, 02:19 PM
I agree to Sara- a little too intellectual for me:(

So did I understand that right: A cat is the third partner necessary in any marriage. And as there are already 2 cats in this picture, there is no groom needed?:D

One day you must ask Fister to describe the history of of his family, the Van Fisters, the Fisterbilts and whatever their name was:D

jonza
06-28-2004, 02:53 PM
If you ask me, that Dotty Koppelcat woman had it all wrong. Or perhaps it was a bit of that "exercising considerable ingenuity in explaining his supposed absence". Whatever that may mean. :confused:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by jonza
"exercising considerable ingenuity in explaining his supposed absence".

Also known as "Coming up with a good excuse why you missed your own wedding!" :D :D

Fister you sure have an exciting and excentric family! :D