PDA

View Full Version : Is lavender toxic to cats?

Kirsten
06-28-2004, 10:12 AM
I bought a beautiful big lavender plant this afternoon for the window sill in my living room, but guess what happened?

Both my girls started chewing it immediately!!! Luna even got a bit mad when I told her it's a no-no.

I cannot find lavender on the toxic plant lists, but I wonder if it's really healthy for them to eat parts of the plant; after all, lavender contains essentials oils and many of them can cause allergic reactions in cats. So what about lavender oil?

Does anyone here have a cat that chewed lavender? And if so, is it harmless?

Kirsten

Kirsten
06-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Well, I called my vet meanwhile and asked her about my concerns, and she said that lavender isn't toxic, and that a cat has to eat a lot of the plant before there might be an allergic reaction, so I figure there's nothing to worry about. But it's so weird that my cats like it so much.

Here's a picture:

http://www.tillyschanze.de/pix/lily136.jpg

Kirsten

NoahsMommy
06-28-2004, 01:03 PM
Nope, its not toxic.

I keep lavendar in the enclosure with the cats because its pretty and they can safely eat it.

:)

catcrazylady
06-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Wow I didn't know that. this place is a fountain of information!

Kirsten I love the plant. It looks gorgeous in your window and that adorable little furry figurine next to it is just as cute as can be!! I think I want one of those!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Kirsten
06-28-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm relieved to hear that cats are allowed to eat it. Well, mine definitely like the smell! :)

I think I want one of those!!

One of the plants or one of the little furry figurines? LOL ;)

Kirsten

CatMama78
06-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Hmm maybe Lavendar relaxes kitties too? Isn't lavendar relaxing for humans? I'm glad it is not a toxic plant.

Oh and I too would like one of each:

One of the plants and one of the little furry figurines. ok maybe several of the latter :)