PDA

View Full Version : Quick question...

bluekat
06-27-2004, 10:26 AM
We've been having a problem with ants lately, the cat food attracts them. We sprinkled some coffee grains around the cat food, and I just wanted to know, does coffee grains harm cats? I heard that they keep the ants away, but its not really working so far. And if Blueberry eats some of it, would it harm him?

Kfamr
06-27-2004, 10:30 AM
I know it's not good for dogs, i'm not sure about cats though, sorry.

sirrahbed
06-27-2004, 10:42 AM
We put out the little plastic ant traps and the ants are usually gone within a few days - the cats have never messed with them and the poison is on the inside.

guster girl
06-27-2004, 10:44 AM
They have bowls that have "moats" around them. I know I used to use those for a dog we had when I was a child. I remember it working pretty well, but, my memory may not be correct. You just surround the food with water and it's not harmful to the cats or the ants, just a deterrent. :) You could even just put a heavy bowl with her food inside of another bowl with some water, and, see if that works at all.

catmandu
06-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Ant traps are the way to go,as I wouldnt trust the Coffee,not to harm the Cats! Besides Cats dont need that caffeine rush!

Amber
06-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
We put out the little plastic ant traps and the ants are usually gone within a few days - the cats have never messed with them and the poison is on the inside.

Same thing we use. It works, and it's safe

bluekat
06-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone:) Yeah, I think I'll try the ant traps...the coffee seems to be attracting the ants:o :p lol

lynnestankard
06-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by bluekat
Thanks everyone:) Yeah, I think I'll try the ant traps...the coffee seems to be attracting the ants:o :p lol

Yee gods - coffee loving ants - stop the coffe - get the little buggers out of there!!!!

Lynne

NoahsMommy
06-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Ants are the only reason I don't like summer...they seem to be everywhere!!! Then I have to kill them with Raid and that smells horrible!

Those special bowls work really well. They have a place to put water so the ants cannot cross over into the food.

Ant traps? How come I didn't know about those? Where do you put them? Do cats/dogs bother them?

Craftlady
06-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Ant traps? How come I didn't know about those? Where do you put them? Do cats/dogs bother them?

You get them in same section of store as ant sprays. They are white or black in color. Raid makes one. Come in pkgs of 12 usually.

Here's the product ant traps (http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_ab.asp)

kimlovescats
06-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Of to store for ant TRAPS!!!! :rolleyes:

BitsyNaceyDog
06-27-2004, 03:12 PM
I use a fool a bug bowl (http://www.pet-expo.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=FB00024). They work great. You can get them anywhere, I got mine at the grocery store.