PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions again for Kiba

slleipnir
06-27-2004, 08:36 AM
I posted a while ago about if I should let Kiba outside seeing she meows so much.

Well, turns out she loves to be outside more then anything (maybe not ANYTHING..) but she does like it a lot. I don't want her to be an outdoor kitty because for one, I'm afraid she'd be hit by a car (we're very close to a busy highway). Plus a few other reasons. I just don't think it's fair that she never goes outside, so I've got her a nice long cord and put her outside with me if I'm out. She meows like mad when she comes in. I've tried spraying her and it doesn't seem to work. She'll run off then a min later meow again. She always charges the door if you open it. I tell my mom to spray her when she does that and that she should be allowed by the door when people are going in or out. Also, that she should be carried whenever she goes outside (I don't know if that would make a difference? I just thought maybe she wouldn't get use to walking out on her own and think she can go out any time the door opens.)

My mom said maybe we shouldn't let her out at all. I don't know, she likes it so much that I don't think it's fair now. Sometimes I just can't take her out everyday either, or if it's raining I don't really want to sit in the rain lol...

Any suggestions and is it best for her to go out even if it's not all the time??

PayItForward
06-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Cat run attached to house with cat flap, so Kiba always has inside access.

CatMama78
06-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Outside by leash access only? I know it's sad to listen to the meowing, but she'll eventually learn that outside is a no-no, or is only under certain conditions. I think the best solution is to ignore her crying. Maybe when you leave you should put her in another room and close the door, so she cannot charge the door? Do you have a room or connections of rooms you could close her off in when you all are leaving? Something big enough so she won't feel trapped? Or perhaps build an outside enclosure which is accessible by an outside covered run, just like PIF suggested? I really think you should be super careful because you live by a highway, but you know that, as is obvious in your post.

slleipnir
06-27-2004, 10:17 AM
We only have doors on the bedrooms. The rest of it is all connected so I don't think Kiba would be happy being shut off in a small room. I'll look into a cat run, but I'm not so sure as to where I could put it. My moms yard isn't that big. Couldn't other animals come though like a dog and break into it? I wouldn't want her to get hurt..

Amber
06-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Just be very careful when letting your cat out too much.

Maggie adored being outside, but I had her out alot, she would always be at the door. She would come running if she heard it. and she escaped and didn't see her, I guess.

I don't want that to happed to Kiba. Even though you wouldn't let it. but you know how cats are. When they want something, they will DO anything.

anyways, how about some new kiba pictures? I adore that cat! :D

catmandu
06-27-2004, 10:53 AM
I am having the Porches done, and atht will have to suffice ,as I dont want any more Casulties Of the Road!