PDA

View Full Version : When is a stray considered 'owned'?

mruffruff
08-17-2001, 03:29 PM
I have been feeding 4 stray neighborhood cats for about 4 months. Two of them I have managed to trap, take to the vet for shots and neutering and released back into the neighborhood. They all eat at my house every night. Only one can be petted. None can be picked up or considered tame. I have named two of them. I am still attempting to get the other two captured so I can get them to the vet.

My neighbor is very upset that they are using her flower beds for litter boxes. She seems to think I should stop feeding them so they'll go someplace else. Are these now MY cats?

I did put a litter box outside for them, but I can't imagine that they would use it.

Is there anything my neighbor can use in her garden to keep the cats out? I heard that moth balls repel cats, but I sure don't want to have the cats get sick.

I'd sure appreciate some help with this problem.

MHMama
08-17-2001, 09:00 PM
mruffruff,
I have had three strays at a time. Once I caught them and took them to the Vet, I considered them mine and no longer strays. I would get notices in the mail when it was time for more shots so I know that the county considered them mine too. I don't know what to say about your neighbor. I am down to one cat right now and her only vice is sitting on my car and leaving foot prints on the windshield as she slides down to the hood. Good luck with catching the other two. I have never met a stray I didn't love. :)

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: MHMama ]

4 feline house
08-17-2001, 09:11 PM
Like MHMama hinted, it may depend on your city. I know as far as landlords go, if you rent, once you feed an animal, even if it's on common property, it is considered yours. You might want to check with your city, or landlord (if applicable), or whoever may be in a legal relationship, because if this lady gets peeved enough, well, who knows. People sue for the littlest things these days.

Gina
08-18-2001, 10:40 AM
I can't comment on the ownership "Q" as I don't live in the U.S., but regarding training cats to avoid certain areas try this:
Firstly, I'm not pulling your leg, I have used this method on all my cats (8) with great success. Do try it ;)
Known fact: all cats hate the smell of anything citrus! So I left orange/ lemon & lime quarters down in my flower beds for a couple of weeks(replacing them with fresh ones as they wilted). I used the essential oil "Citronella" neat in my house where might have wanted to leave little pressies. I don't know how affective this would be in soil, but I do know it stops cats spraying the house outdoor walls and doors and boundry fences! regular application is best.

Hope you can try this, it works trust me! :p

Gina and the Furry gang, from across the pond!