PDA

View Full Version : Smoke, Smoke, Smoke...

Glacier
06-26-2004, 09:38 PM
We are now on day 8 of the longest, hottest heatwave ever recorded in the Yukon. It's not that hot for some places but for up here it's scorching. We've been over 30 C for over a week. Normally, we get a couple days near 30 during the summer and our average temps are closer to 20C. Currently there are 60 fires burning--one is threatening the territory's only telecommunications link to the south. At least two communities are on evacuation alert. Fortunately, (for me at least) none of the fires are threatening my area yet. But it is so smokey out! My allergies are hating it!

http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Scenery/smoke.jpg

http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Scenery/5b091918.jpg

http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Scenery/smoke3.jpg
Earle and Kira are in this picture.

I'm working out an evacuation plan for the dogs if we have to, but I sure hope we get some rain before it comes to that!

catnapper
06-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Please stay safe! I hope the fires are under control soon - and that they don't attack the telecommunications area!

Those are beautiful photos though! Very dramatic!

slick
06-26-2004, 09:53 PM
I was watching our 6 o'clock news and there have been severe thunderstorms in Interior - where Jordan and Jynnelle are - and that's causing some concern. The report is that there are at least twice as many fires burning in BC now as there were this time last year. When I think back on the devastation from last year all I can do is pray.

I sure hope California doesn't go through it again this year.

dukedogsmom
06-26-2004, 11:21 PM
I'll try and send some Florida thunderstorms way up to you! I know how you feel. A few years ago we had that problem and it was scary. Our house is surrounded by woods. We had a whole year of drought. I sure hope yours doesn't last that long.

Glacier
06-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I'll try and send some Florida thunderstorms way up to you!

Only if you keep the thunder and lightening part! The last thing we need is lightening right now. Rain, just lots of rain!!

Kfamr
06-27-2004, 12:27 AM
How hot is that F?

Eesh! I hope you and the family (fur-fmialy too) stay safe!
That last picture is gorgeous, though. :D

Glacier
06-27-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
How hot is that F?

We've been between 86 & 94 F--which is probably nothing for you, but for up here it's at least 10 degrees above normal temps.

Kfamr
06-27-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Glacier
We've been between 86 & 94 F--which is probably nothing for you, but for up here it's at least 10 degrees above normal temps.

Please send the 86 F down our way!!! :p
Even though, that's still rather hot. Why can't Florida have 70 degree weather with a nice breeze.. oh wait, then we'd get even more crazy tourists. :p

What's the humidity percentage?

Glacier
06-27-2004, 01:24 AM
What's the humidity percentage?

Last night it was 16%--basically desert like humidity. Which in some ways is nice--I couldn't handle this heat with humidity too. Unfortunately, the lack of humidity is just drying the forests out faster.

Kfamr
06-27-2004, 01:25 AM
Oh, but try 89%+++ humidity! :p

Glacier
06-27-2004, 01:27 AM
Oh, but try 89%+++ humidity! :p

No thanks!:p

davidpizzica
06-27-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by slick
I was watching our 6 o'clock news and there have been severe thunderstorms in Interior - where Jordan and Jynnelle are - and that's causing some concern. The report is that there are at least twice as many fires burning in BC now as there were this time last year. When I think back on the devastation from last year all I can do is pray.

I sure hope California doesn't go through it again this year. Slick, my prayers and thoughts are with you!! Hang in there!

lynnestankard
06-27-2004, 05:16 AM
Glacier - keeping fingers and paws crossed here - it sounds so frightning I'm just hoping you get a deluge very soon. No wind - just rain please!
Do the dogs pick up on everyones sense of unease? As long as you've got your plans made to GET OUT OF THERE should the need arise.
30 degrees C is approx 110F - that is very hot! Especially as evrything is so dry.

GOOD LUCK!

Lynne

RobiLee
06-27-2004, 07:49 AM
Glacier, I'm praying for lots of rain for you. I'm even doing my rain dance ;) Its not a pretty sight :D

Please be safe and keep us posted!

Robin :)

smokey the elder
06-27-2004, 08:43 AM
I saw a picture of the jet stream on the weather last night. It's an omega block which is giving Yukon very hot weather and the Northeast unseasonably cool weather. I hope the pattern unblocks to give you some rain. I figure you live in the Yukon to stay away from the heat!! Stay safe.

Glacier
06-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by smokey the elder
I I figure you live in the Yukon to stay away from the heat!! Stay safe.

That's exactly why we live here--part of it anyway!! My poor huskies are melting!!!

ramanth
06-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Paws crossed for rain!