PDA

View Full Version : How do I get that mouth clean?

*LabLoverKEB*
06-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Sadie's mouth reeks!!!!:mad: :o I just brushed her teeth, and her mouth still smells bad. Does teeth cleaning really work? How much does it cost? Or does it depend on the veteranarina? HELP!!

MariaM
06-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Hmmm...I have no idea. But therer are these dental rings at Wal-Mart, I know Oscar always chewed on the green ones and his breath wasn't bad at all, didn't smell at all!

*LabLoverKEB*
06-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks! I just gave her one, I have some red ones. Thanks!

MariaM
06-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Yup, no prob!

dappledoxie
06-26-2004, 07:05 PM
She probably has some buildup that won't come off causing that stinky breath. I'd let your vet check it out and see what they say to be sure though.

Cost of a dental depends on your vet but it is impossible to get off the calculus/tartar that is built up on the teeth yourself. It really is like cement almost, very very hard. I see lots of bad teeth/mouths at work and they can be very very bad for your pet. At my job it's around 100 dollars, little more if they are older and need pre-anesthsia bloodwork but it's well worth it. :)

Oh and if you got it done, then if you brush her teeth a few times a week, that will help to keep the buildup down. :)

Dot
06-26-2004, 10:40 PM
We have four dogs, and I clean all their teeth myself. I save a ton of money and they never have doggie breath. The vet always compliments them on their squeaky-clean teeth, and says the dogs are healthier because their gums are in good condition.

I never had much luck brushing their teeth, so I bought a cleaning pick at the drug store. Every 4 or 5 months, and for sure before their vet visit, I clean all the tartar off their teeth. It's really quite rewarding to see the tartar come off in chunks, and see their shiny white teeth underneath.

The first time you try it, make the dog lie beside you on the sofa while you work, and keep sweet-talking all the while. Just clean a tooth or two for starters, then do some more the next day. Gradually they get used to it. (Oh, the indignity!) One of our dogs refuses to cooperate, so my husband holds her while I pick. The others tolerate it quite well, even though it's certainly not their favorite activity!

It's hard to describe how to do it, but it actually takes pressure on the tartar, more than just 'scraping'. Once you get a chunk to chip off, go for another chunk, until its all off right up to the gum line. The back molars are the most difficult, so practice first on one of the front teeth.

Good luck! It works, really!
:-Dot

dappledoxie
06-26-2004, 11:09 PM
That's a good idea for maintaing keeping the tartar off, really good!

I really need to start something with my dogs, b/c once that calculus is on there, it's on there.