PDA

View Full Version : How often do you "eat out"?

kimlovescats
06-26-2004, 05:10 PM
My hubby and I have gotten really bad about eating out at pricey restaurants far too often. Looking back in my checking account, we average anywhere from $200.00 to $300.00 per month!!! :eek: That is CRAZY !!!:rolleyes: That money could do so much more good ... like for my kitties!!! Things are fixing to change around here!!!! My advice .... keep records of your spending habits ... you might be in for a big surprise! :eek: ;)

neko1
06-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Hardly ever for that exact reason. It's just too costly to eat out.

PayItForward
06-26-2004, 05:24 PM
So that covers about three nice meals out a month...you work hard, why shouldn't you enjoy a few meals out !!!!

sirrahbed
06-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Hubby and I eat out at least 2-3 times a week but not usually restaurants - we pick up Taco Bell, Subby's, Burger King Chipotle, things like that. Maybe once a month, we will eat somewhere like Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel or Boston Market. Very rarely we eat at an Applebee's or favorite Max&Erma place. An "expensive" meal out for us would be about $30 total:D
Our biggest *splurge is Red Lobster.

slick
06-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by neko1
Hardly ever for that exact reason. It's just too costly to eat out.
Me too! If I eat out at all it's usually for a Dim Sum Lunch at work for someone's birthday but that only happens a couple times a year. Any spare money I have goes into a savings accounts for either a mortgage down-payment, RRSP, or this year a Pet Talk meeting.

neko1
06-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Yep..I went out to eat for a friends birthday back in February and hadn't gone out to eat until just this month.:o

Cookiebaker
06-26-2004, 05:43 PM
We usually go out 1-2 times per week. Once is usually quick (Sub's or salad bar at Pizza Hut) and costs around $8-10. On Friday nights, I like to go out for a real sit down dinner. Usually we go to a place like Chili's or Applebees and it runs about $25-35.

It doesn't seem like much, but you are right KLC's, it's about $200 a month! :eek: It adds up fast!

MariaM
06-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Our family? A few times a year.

GoldenRetrLuver
06-26-2004, 05:48 PM
My family and I go out to eat a couple times a month.

My dad loves to go out, so we probably end up going maybe 5-6 times a month to a restaurant.

dappledoxie
06-26-2004, 06:02 PM
I eat out waaay too much! lol

trayi52
06-26-2004, 06:49 PM
We hardly ever eat out, it is just to expensive and we just can't afford to eat out like that.

We ate out tonight!! Tomorrow is our 34th wedding anniversery! So we splurged!!

Willie:D

kimlovescats
06-26-2004, 06:59 PM
We tend to go to Chili's, Davy Crockett's, Ruby Tuesday's, O'Charley's, and Outback!! So it is easily 30 to 40 bucks a pop... just for the 2 of us ... when we take the kids .... $60. :eek:
This doesn't include all the fast food that we pay cash for here and there ... McDonald's, Taco Bell, White Castle, Pizza Hut, etc. See... that is why I know it is excessive .. because I just have documentation for the nicer restaurants where we use the Checkcard! :rolleyes:

Hubby and I also have a standing Friday morning / noon date at Cracker Barrel. We really have done much better this past few weeks though. Of course the fact that we are BROKE now, may have something to do with that!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

davidpizzica
06-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
We hardly ever eat out, it is just to expensive and we just can't afford to eat out like that.

We ate out tonight!! Tomorrow is our 34th wedding anniversery! So we splurged!!

Willie:D Congratulations, on 34 years, Willie!

trayi52
06-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Thank you, David!:D

Felicia's Mom
06-26-2004, 07:30 PM
I usually eat out Saturdays at noon. I chose resturants that aren't expensive, but not fast food either. It cost less for lunch then for supper too.
This is a treat to myself.

Kfamr
06-26-2004, 07:31 PM
My parents go out sometimes, but I rarely go with. I don't like gowithout the pups.

jazzcat
06-26-2004, 09:47 PM
We eat out about 2-3 times a week, sometimes more. It used to not be that much but since my mom died I just haven't been able to really get organized enough with groceries and cook. I think part of my aversion to grocery shopping is because I was also buying things for her. She loved to cook and always wanted some odd, hard to find item that I'd hunt down just for her. I just kind of hate going now.

I love to eat out anyway so it's not a horrible situation all together.

Glacier
06-26-2004, 09:51 PM
I absolutely, completely refuse to cook on Friday's. So either hubby cooks or we go out--more often than not we end up going out. I can only stand so many frozen pizzas--his most favorite thing in the world!

Twisterdog
06-26-2004, 11:28 PM
We eat out quite a bit ... a few times per week, probably. Yes, it's more expensive then eating at home, but I really don't care. It's fun, enjoyable and a social occaision as well. If eating out too much is the worst of my vices, I'm ok with that. :)

kimlovescats
06-26-2004, 11:33 PM
Twisterdog ... that is our main justification for it .... we don't do anything else socially!!! I mean NOTHING! Eating out is our entertainment! ;)

Amber
06-27-2004, 12:34 AM
We go out sometimes. Kinda because my mom works in a kitchen fixing food all day, so she is always tired of making supper. So we order pizza or something.

But then we always have home cooked meals.

So it's kinda half and half.

MammaMangorin
06-27-2004, 03:38 AM
Max 10 times on a year :p

KYS
06-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Usually once a week on the weekend.
I bag lunch it at work.

Randi
06-27-2004, 10:33 AM
Wow! Some of you folks on the other side of the pond really eat out a lot! :eek: :)

I eat out with 3 girlfriends once every 2 months, we take turns choosing where - lately, it's been Italian, French and Spanish. We've also tried an American restaurant "House of Souls" where we had Cajun food, very good! John and I eat out about 3-4 times a year.

We have loads of restaurants in Copenhagen, and you get a decent meal for under $25. If you eat Indian or Greek, it's a lot cheaper.

Miss Meow
06-27-2004, 05:18 PM
We have takeaway at least once a week, but come to think of it, don't eat at restaurants that much for some reason. I love cooking though and like to grind spices and make curries and pastas and other meals from scratch.

The girls at work and I go to a winery for lunch every couple of months, just to support them and so we can speak from experience when people ask us about nice places to eat. Research ... :o

PayItForward
06-27-2004, 05:37 PM
My favourite place to eat out is a beautiful local cantonese restaurant.

A meal for two with house wine but no dessert....comes to around £60 ($110) but it is worth every penny.

Small place but great staff and great food. :D Just wish I could eat there every day ;)

PS A typical takeaway costs around £10 for two people ($18)

Pam
06-27-2004, 05:44 PM
We eat take-out food at least once a week (pizza or hoagies - that sort of thing.) I don't think that qualifies as "eating out" though. It's just that I don't have to do the cooking! :p We don't eat out that often really - maybe once every month or two. Hubby's favorite is Red Lobster and of course he orders something like a lobster/steak combo :rolleyes: and it costs a fortune. That is his favorite place so of course I dread it when we go there. Lotsa $$ gets spent. :eek:

CatMama78
06-27-2004, 05:56 PM
We eat out a lot too. It varies from week to week - like this week I think I have us covered to cook at home, but if I don't make it to the store next weekend, we would eat out a lot the following week. But to me - I think it evens out as far as price. The ingredients and servings for cooking at home come to almost the same as eating out, it seems. Maybe it's cuase a typical meal cooked is really for four people and I end up throwing away the left overs.

Fox-Gal
06-27-2004, 10:34 PM
We eat out about twice a week, but it's not to bad, cost wise. My husband love this place that on weekends has all you can eat crab legs, so for $22 it's not a bad deal. Then there the weekly pizza, but thats free most of the time. Our friends own the local pizza place and most of the time they won't let us pay. :) So we leave a big tip. I don't think I could cook for much less then that, so might as well eat out. :D

I have to have my nights out to eat, if I had to cook every night I'd go nuts!!!!! I love to cook, but it's the cleaning up after that drives me crazy. :p

RobiLee
06-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Way too much! hmmm....well I guess I should say we "Eat out" rarely....once or twice a month.

But...I am always running through a drive-thru and bringing supper home that way. That is what needs to stop!

Robin :)

carole
06-27-2004, 11:33 PM
We rarely eat out, probably just for special occasions, like anniversarys and birthdays, and when our relatives visit from Scotland, they always take us out to Dinner, we simply just cannot afford to, we may get takeaways or takeout as you call it a couple of times a month and that is usually fish n chips.

I would love to eat out more often, nothing fancy for me, but it is nice just to get away from slaving over a hot stove., and to enjoy another atmosphere now and then.

I actually hate fancy,expensive restaurants anyhow, Macs and our smorgasborg Valentines are my favs. easy pleased I am and cheap to take out lol.