PDA

View Full Version : free homade ferret toys

pink_giggles90
06-26-2004, 04:08 AM
copied from ohio ferret.
copy onto word and print.

Toys are essential to the mental health of the ferret. As polecats runningwild in the woods, they evolved a sharp intellect to better solve problemsin locating prey. Although ferrets are domesticated and have brains about15-20% smaller than polecats, they are still quite smart. One of theforemost problems *I* have seen in shelters, pet stores and even withpeople, is that ferrets lack sufficient mental stimulation. Toys help solvethat problem.

1.Leaf them to play. I have a large plastic box which periodically holdsrice, sand, plastic film cans, balls, and other tunneling stuff. At thistime of year, i dump it out and fill it to the top with fallen leaves. Myferrets adore them! They love the smells, the sounds and the textures, andwill sleep under them. Best of all, when turned to mulch or just old, I canreplace them FOR FREE!
2. Play with them blockheads. Cinderblocks (those concrete blocks used inhousing) cost about $2 or less and are wonderful. They come complete withtwo large holes, and can be easily stacked to create interesting free-formsculptures the ferrets can explore. I use about 10 at a time, and stackthem in stairstep or pyramid patterns. Sometimes I'll use dryer tubing orplastic pipes to create mazes in the block pile. The best part is theconcrete naturally blunts the sharp edges of the ferret's claws, so if youdo not clip them quick enough, they still won't draw blood. They lastforever and are CHEAP. As a bonus, I hide treats in among the holes,encouraging exploration.
3. Salvation Army attack. Thrift shops are full of really crappy stuffwhich sells for hardly anything. I look for small plastic tumblers, oldhard toys, and any kind of junk I think a ferret might like to sniff. I buyboxes of the crap for just a few bucks, and toss them in a tray in theferret room. Ferrets will sniff at them for hours, trying to figure wherethe hell they came from, and they can start bouncing around in ferretriots. Best part? If they don't like the stuff, just give it back to thethrift store! And its CHEAP!
4. The Great Escape. I have two rooms (my bedroom and the kitchen) whichare ferret free. Once a week, I allow the ferrets into the free zones bysimply "forgetting" to reset the barriers. They think they are soooosneaky, slipping in and exploring the great unknown. I stay there theentire time to prevent bad things from happening, but the point is theferrets have a temporary amusement park. And it's FREE!
5. The great outdoors. Just leash them up and move them out. Bring waterand a bit of food. Did I mention it was FREE?
6. Air your dirty laundry. What a concept. Just place the dirty clotheshamper down for the ferrets to waffle through, digging deep into the aromaof the master stinkers. Ferrets LOVE this and will tunnel for hours. And itis FREE! Just carefully count your ferrets before dumping the load intothe washer (I count the ferrets twice, WHEN check each article of clothingto make sure the count was correct. Don't want a Gorey mistake.
7. Happy trails from you. Tie a cotton ball to a string (cheap!) andmoisten the cotton with liquid smoke or any number of smelly scents whichattracts your ferrets. Walk around the room, dragging your stinky ballbehind you. Your ferrets will explore the trail for hours, especially ifthey get used to finding treats at the end of the trail. Nearly FREE.
8. Porch polecats. This only works if you have access to a ferret-proofedporch, balcony, patio or deck (I ferret-proofed my deck by bolting sheetsof Plexiglas around the railing. No way the ferrets can escape and itpreserves the look of the deck. Once a day, rain or shine or snow orwhatever, the ferrets have free access to the out-of-doors. No leash, nocontrol. The ferret proofing may not be free, but it is worth every centwatching ferrets bounce in FREEDOM.
9 Rearrange their brains. On a weekly basis, I move stuff around. Waterbowls and bottles change location, food trays shift to other areas, toys,sleeping boxes, cinderblocks, whatever, all move to new locations. Alldesigned to stimulate their mind. And its FREE.
10. Give them the Big Toy. The cheapest toy of all, you. Double or tripletheir allowance of time with you and take a proactive role in play. Youwant gentle, calm ferrets that sleep on your lap? Play with them! At lot!!Gentleness, calmness and trust are all created when you take the time toform intense physical bonds with your ferrets. It is that simple. Givethem your time and they will become the best ferrets you will ever see. Itsguaranteed and its FREE!

hope your fuzzy likes them! mines do.

lv4dogs
06-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Those are great tips!

Don't forget boxes, cardboard boxes. You can keep them single, or cut holes in them & atach them. They are great!

Old clothes, especially t shirts, baggy pants etc.. they love to tunnel through them.

Plastic soda bottles etc...

there are so many other cheap or free toys you can have for ferrets

a box filled with UNCOOKED LONG GRAIN rice NOT minute rice or anything though.
Or filled with clean sand, plastic easter eggs etc..

I could go on & on but I am lilited for time tonight!