PDA

View Full Version : Sad...California animal shelter laws

lizzielou742
06-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Below is an article taken from Yahoo! News
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&u=/ap/20040625/ap_on_re_us/schwarzenegger_animal_shelters_1&printer=1
about California possibly changing laws to allow shelters to euthanize stray cats and dogs after three days of holding, and other animals immediately. What do you all think about this? If overcrowding in shelters is such a problem, maybe they should invest more in spay/neuter programs rather than putting down more animals?

------------------------
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger wants to repeal a state law that requires animal shelters to hold stray dogs and cats for up to six days before killing them.

Instead, there would be a three-day requirement for strays. Other animals, including birds, hamsters, potbellied pigs, rabbits, snakes and turtles, could be killed immediately.

Schwarzenegger has told the state Legislature that the changes could save local governments that operate shelters up to $14 million.

An estimated 600,000 dogs and cats are put to death each year in California, including 34,000 in Los Angeles alone.

The waiting period has caused overcrowding and forced some shelters to kill off animals simply to make room for new ones, said H.D. Palmer, a spokesman for the state Department of Finance.

"Because of space limitations, the shelters are being forced to euthanize animals who are otherwise highly adoptable immediately after the holding time," Palmer said.

Despite Schwarzenegger's huge popularity, some political observers think the proposal will meet stiff resistance.

"There is no organized constituency of cats and dogs, but certainly the pet owners of America will find this reprehensible," said Barbara O'Connor, director of the Institute for the Study of Politics and Media at California State University, Sacramento.

"Cats and dogs are like mom and apple pie," she said. "Don't mess with the pets. Most people prefer them to other people."

The 1998 law is named for former state Sen. Tom Hayden, who said the governor's proposal "will inflict heartbreak on a lot of owners and people in the animal adoption world."

Source: Associated Press 6/25/2004

RedHedd
06-25-2004, 01:21 PM
Yes I know. I'm sending Arnie a piece of my mind! :mad:

catlady1945
06-25-2004, 02:24 PM
I agree with Lizzielou, more spay/neuters needed. They always have money for some other insane uses, but try and direct some towards animal welfare and you are branded a people-hater. California people, how about starting a letter writing campaign?

Kona & Oreo's mom
06-25-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by catlady1945
California people, how about starting a letter writing campaign?
I already sent mine! :)

Here's the web form to send him an e-mail (preferred):

http://www.govmail.ca.gov/

Here's his mail address:

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Fax: 916-445-4633

For reference, the law is Chapter 752, also called the Hayden law.