PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno - just one of us cat folk.

TheAntiPam
08-15-2001, 05:25 PM
The other night on his show, Jay mentioned that he had trouble with getting up in the middle of the night and tripping over his cat. So, he went out and bought a $3,000 pair of infrared detection glasses. Now, when he wanders around in the dark, he can see exactly where his kitty has parked.

Perhaps not all cat owners can afford that solution, but we'd all do it in a minute to keep from getting that "THUD" "MEEEEOOOW" in the middle of the night! :D

Pam
08-15-2001, 06:13 PM
I'm lucky because Andy is pure white. In the night he almost sort of glows in the dark. Trevor has some white on him but I would never see it in the dark. I really don't have to worry about tripping on them, though, because they are usually on the bed! If they're not, then they are downstairs being night owls! :D

4 feline house
08-15-2001, 09:03 PM
Way back in the 80's, it was really popular around here for apartments to carpet the units with "apricot" carpeting. I was unfortunate enough to have to move into one of those units with an orange cat. With my 20/200+ vision, if I wandered around without my contacts, I would step right on Buster!

PS I love Cheese, Jan Leno's cat!

[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: 4 feline house ]

thelmalu99
08-16-2001, 12:37 PM
The other day, I was talking to a co-worker and fellow cat person about dating. (She does a lot of dating and, unless I REALLY like the guy, I would rather stay home and watch Jay Leno with my cats, LOL.)
Anyway, I said that whoever I end up with will have to like cats and she said that there are not too many men out there that really like cats. :(

I don't really know what my point was with this post, but the topic just reminded me of the conversation.

...too bad Jay Leno is already taken!! :D

4 feline house
08-16-2001, 07:29 PM
I haven't dated in a long while, but I only had one bad experience. Most of the men I dated loved my cats. Some have actually had at least one cat of their own. One guy, I think, only dated me so he could play with my cats! Another guy I dated actually adopted one of my cats. I had two boys and decided to get a girl - they hated her and tormented her to no end. As much as I loved her, I felt sorry for her, living under the couch like she was. Then when Ron said he had decided to get a kitten, we talked and decided the best thing was for him to take Dusty. She blossomed being an only cat with a daddy who spoiled her rotten! I still think of her sometimes, although this was so long ago I'm sure she's at the rainbow bridge now. I seldom think of Ron.....

zippy-kat
08-16-2001, 11:36 PM
Hee Hee! I LOVE THIS! :D

I actually put my dates thru a cat/bunny test! lol

The cats and my bun, Sophie, MUST like him before I'll accept another date. LOL If they don't like him--he's history! Sometimes, I think they have a whole lot better judgement than I do...learned that one the hard way. :rolleyes: Max (rainbow bridge) would literally stand guard over me if my (now ex) was around. He never did like the guy--came close to attacking him on more than one occassion--and, needless to say, the relationship started out great but took a *VERY* bad turn towards the end. I learned my lesson and learned it well.

Now, I rely on my kitties to pick the men! lol ;)

OH...couldn't resist one more dating story...Sophie (my 5lb house bunny) actually TERRIFIED one of my dates! She knew he was scared too! He was sittin' on the couch, she hopped right up. He'd flinch everytime she went to sniff him. Well, I put her down quite a few times but she just kept gettin' back up. Finally, she pretended she was thru w/ him when she suddenly jumped up on the BACK of the couch, hopped right over, and SAT on his head! It was hard to keep from laughing! :D :D :D The poor guy just about killed-over from my "blood-thirsty" rabbit attacking him! He didn't last long either....lol

TheAntiPam
08-17-2001, 01:42 AM
During my college days, I had a roommate that was very busy dating instead of studying. It didn't take too many meetings with these guys to see that most would not even notice I was in the room, would not say hello to me, etc.

When she finally met one that at least noticed my presence on the planet, I was amazed. She eventually married him, and 25 yrs later, they are still together. :)

Humans can be so stupid on purpose about such cues. We are so lucky our pets remind us to listen to our hearts and our gut feelings.

Gio
08-17-2001, 04:57 AM
It's my pets who usually give the seal of approval. You do get some funny looks though when you tell someone: "You have to come and meet my cats" :D :D :D

margaret
08-17-2001, 11:36 AM
With the guy that I'm dating now, early on we had this conversation:

me:"I'm going to drop a bomb on you."
him: "Oh yeah?"
me:"I have two cats!"
him: "Oh, is that all? I love cats! I grew up with cats and my parents now have two, too!"
me: "HOORAY!"

He later told me he thought it was so funny that I was going to "drop a bomb" on him--but it was only about having cats! He probably was afraid I was going to tell him I had a serious disease or something... :D

I like this guy a lot, so I was relieved that he's a cat-lover, too. He treats my cats with respect and gives them plenty of affection. Good man!

:)

4 feline house
08-17-2001, 06:48 PM
Zippy-Kat, your date needs to get in touch with Jimmy Carter! Does those of you old enough remember the "killer rabbit" incident?

zippy-kat
08-17-2001, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by 4 feline house:
<STRONG>Zippy-Kat, your date needs to get in touch with Jimmy Carter! Does those of you old enough remember the "killer rabbit" incident?</STRONG>

?? Sorry, before my time, I guess. (Well, maybe not--but I was too young to remember it! lol)

I'd love to hear the story, though!!!

4 feline house
08-18-2001, 11:33 PM
Here it is, Zippy-Kat:
http://204.202.137.112/sections/us/WolfFiles/wolffiles82.html

zippy-kat
08-19-2001, 12:53 AM
Thanks! lol

yorkster
08-19-2001, 04:43 PM
This is such a good subject! I have always had cats and can not imagine a life without them! When I was younger I always assumed that everyone loved cats (how could you not?) Well, I started dating a guy who did not like cats. I thought that he could learn to love them if he just spent time around them, etc. WRONG!!! He really did hate cats. At some point he started telling me about the mean things he had done to kitties when he was younger, which he STILL thought was funny and I told him to get out and not call me again. He just could not believe that I felt so strongly about it. Some people just do not get it. If I had been paying more attention at the time, I would have noticed that my cat Liza would sit and stare at him with a very angry look. It was a good leaning experience though! That was probably 10 years ago and I am now married to a extreme cat lover. I had a good feeling about him the first time he was over for dinner because he kept looking at my cats, and finally said "Do your kitties like chicken? Can I please give them a few pieces?" That was the start of a very close relationship between him and the cats. Now, when he returns home from work the first thing he does is call the kitties and spend 20-30 minutes with them. Good man! I think men who love cats are special, and tend to be more open-minded and willing to have equality in a relationship/marriage. Don't give up on a person though that has not been around cats much. There are a lot of people that can be easily won over by being around kitties- I should know, my hubby was one of those people!

Pam
08-19-2001, 07:49 PM
That's very good advice Yorkster. I once read an article stating that men, as a whole, prefer dogs to cats. The article went on to say that the probable reason is that most men cannot tolerate an animal that they cannot dominate. While I don't know if this is true or not, I do think that if I was still single and dating someone who was anti-cat I would definitely have to say "hit the road Jack! :D

TheAntiPam
08-19-2001, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Pam:
<STRONG>...cannot tolerate an animal that they cannot dominate...</STRONG>

Our society tends to reward control and domination in men and not in women. It can be very difficult to be dominant and in control in business and just turn that off at home.

Regardless of which person is doing the dominating, it is a good caution - If someone needs to dominate (in an unhealthy way) an animal, they probably treat people that way too.

After many years of seeing friends go through difficult and destructive human relationships, I wish we would be more aware of this kind of clue. I know many people think "love me, love my cat" is a simplistic view. But sometimes a cliche' is true even if it is old!

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: TheAntiPam ]

4 feline house
08-19-2001, 10:12 PM
Yes! In my previous post, I had mentioned I had only one bad experience. Right before my boyfriend moved in with me, I had gotten a new kitten. Like I said, he was not yet my roommate and did not pay any of my bills (actually, never did, just split the shared ones) but immedaitely he let me know how stupid I was to "get another mouth to feed". Toot was the sweetest little kitty but I noticed, shortly after Michael moved in, he started getting nervous and jumpy. Then one day I was looking from the living room into the bedroom, and next thing I know, Toot's sailing through the air, legs splayed out, landing on the bed. Michael had thrown him from the bathroom onto the bed! He kept saying "it didn't hurt him, he landed on the bed" and "you should have seen what he did!" I kept saying "it still scared him!" and "nothing a little kitten could do would warrant being tossed around the house!" Funny, Michael never did tell me what Toot did. I think all he did was be a kitten. In other words, he was, therefore Michael was mad (my apologies to Descartes!). Well, it wasn't long before Michael was throwing ME around the house. It is SO TRUE when they say that abusers start on animals, it is SO TRUE when they say how man treats your pets is a clue as to how he'll treat you. All you young Pet talk girls need to take heed!

tuxluvr
03-15-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
Hee Hee! I LOVE THIS! :D

I actually put my dates thru a cat/bunny test! lol

Now, I rely on my kitties to pick the men! lol ;)

thought you would get a kick out of this picture

Former User
03-15-2002, 05:05 PM
LOL Zippy, seen that before, still cracks me up... I bet the cat got to stay :D :D :D

gini
03-15-2002, 07:57 PM
Tonya, that is so funny. What a compliment to have Sophie come up so easily to a person in the first place. What in heavens name did he think Sophie was going to do?

Ha! The Bun Test - and he failed!!

wayne0214
03-16-2002, 07:18 AM
I have only one cat that sleeps in the middle of the floor at night, that being Snow Cat. And being white, there is little problem about seeing him in the dark. Besides, I keep a candle burning all night and also a night light. All of the others have place(s) to sleep, but none on the floor.:)

.........wayne