PDA

View Full Version : Cat Collars - Safe or Unsafe?

Elika
06-25-2004, 08:41 AM
I was thinking about putting a collar on Marley once she is big enough, but are they safe? My old cat used to wear a collar but one time he got stuck in the woods. His collar got hooked on a bush or something and he was out there for 2 days. We were so worried and we thought he had run away. But then we went out into the woods just to see if maybe we could find him. When we finally reached him, the fur was all rubbed off around his neck and one of his legs was stuck in his collar. I never put collars on any more of my cats after that.

On the other hand, my neighbors and all of my friends put collars on their cats and nothing like that ever happens to them. Is it worth the risk to use a collar? Is this even a risk, or is what happened to my old cat a freak accident? I want Marley to have idenification, but I don't want her to get stuck in the woods.

Do you have any information, comments, or opinions?

Craftlady
06-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Buy the "quick release" collars. They do work. I would not use the old fashion buckle collars. Your kittys incident with old type collar is typical not a freak accident.

Laura's Babies
06-25-2004, 08:50 AM
My daughter in law put those break away collars on Amy and Giz but Giz is one to get into everything and one day she got hers caught on the blinds at the window and she paniced and fell.. the collor did not break away and Giz was left hanging there choking.. Collars have been removed on both. But I have seen cats wear them all their lives and never have a problem.. I would think one bad experience is enough and I would not risk it myself.

catmandu
06-25-2004, 08:51 AM
The ones that I recommend are the Ova Collars , as they do an excellent job , of keeping fleas , off , important , for such a young Kitten!

catnapper
06-25-2004, 08:58 AM
I asked the same question a while back. I think it depends on the cat, and how they live. Allen wears a collar and has never ever had a problem. Pouncer is a great escape artist. He doesn't wear a collar. I put a harness on him when we go outside. the quick release colars are great. If the cat gets caught on something, all they have to do is tug (which is a natural isntinct) and the collar releases (hence the name :D :) )

lizzielou742
06-25-2004, 09:19 AM
I was considering taking the collars off my cats because they always get their tags wet when drinking and they're starting to get gross (even though I am drying them off constantly). I think what I'll end up doing is getting them both microchipped (it's only $35 at the vet's) and getting them both break-away collars with nameplates attached directly to the collar. The break-aways do work; I've come home once or twice and Tito's has been laying on the floor - no idea how it happened but I'm glad he wasn't stuck somewhere all day like your cat was. Keep us updated on what you decide to do!

PS Getting your cat microchipped is never a bad idea, in my opinion. The peace of mind is worth the $35. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-25-2004, 10:13 AM
I would say it depends on how the cat is going to live. If Marley is going to be an inside/outside cat, she definitely needs some sort of identification. If you decide against the collar, the micro-chipping is a necessity if she's going to be going outside.

If she is only going to be an inside cat, I would microchip only and not worry about the collar. In this case, the micro-chipping would be in the event she escapes. I, personally, don't see the need for a collar on an inside only cat....if they're micro-chipped.

lv4dogs
06-25-2004, 10:17 AM
If the kitty is very explorative I would personally not put a collar on. I would microchip though either way.
All my animals (except my rats LOL) are microchipped.

CatMama78
06-25-2004, 10:25 AM
My guys are microchipped. I do not have collars for the same reasons you are hesitant to do so. BUT, it's occurred to me that if they do escape, most people, if they see no collar, assume the animal is a stray. : / So it's kind of a double edged sword. My guys do not go near the door really, nor are they outside cats...but still I do worry.

Elika
06-25-2004, 11:04 AM
I should microchip all of my pets! I have a boxer and a terrier and two cats and none of them are microchipped. But to do them all at one time might be too costly. I am not letting Marley outside right now because she is new and too little. But once she gets bigger she will be an inside/outside cat like Koko. Koko does not wear a collar and he has never gotten lost. He is such a good cat, too. He doesn't even need to use the litter because he does his business outside. He always stays around the yard, but I'm afraid Marley will wander, that's why I wanted to get her a collar.

kuhio98
06-25-2004, 11:06 AM
I highly recommend these break-away ones from K9 collars. (link below). All of our kitties are microchipped (please, please do that, it will give you such a peace of mind). K9 offers custom embroidery. We have our phone number embroidered on ours.

Pepper weighs a whopping 6 pounds. Two weeks ago, she got caught on a chainlink fence. The collar popped open without a problem.

I would order several because they will break-away and you will probably lose one or two.

Don't know anything about flea and tick collars because we don't have them (fleas and ticks, that is) up here in Alaska. :D

http://www.k9collars.com/frameINT.html

aly
06-25-2004, 11:21 AM
I choose not to keep collars on my cats because I am just too scared of them getting caught on something and strangling themselves. My own cats and the fosters are all microchipped. I live alone and don't have to worry about anyone else leaving a door hanging open. I also don't allow them to go near the front door even when its closed. So when I walk in and there are 8 cats waiting for me, they are at least waiting several feet away from the door. In my household, there is much more of a chance that one of the kitties would hurt themselves with a collar than if one would get outside so thats why I don't put collars on them.

I really don't recommend flea and tick collars. Some of them can actually be harmful to a pet's health. Revolution, Advantage, or any of those other topical medications work great!

lizzielou742
06-25-2004, 01:29 PM
Kuhio98, I am very interested in getting one of those K-9 collars...what size do you recommend? I see the first cat one has size as 8-12 inches - that seems too big for my kitten Tito (8 months, 9 pounds)...Does that size fit your cats? Thanks!

PS Sophie can't wear her collar yet - I got her the smallest kitten collar I could find and even when made as small as possible, it's still so big I can slide it off over her head! :) She's so tiny - not even 3 pounds! :D

kuhio98
06-25-2004, 01:40 PM
lizzielou742 - I buy the one you saw (8 - 12 inches).
I have to snug it up quite a bit (the buckle ends up in the middle of my embroidered phone number) for Pepper. She is our smallest at 6 pounds.

I have to make it just a little smaller for Cammie -- She's 10 pounds and I have to set it to the max for Halo -- She's 13 pounds.

You might measure around Tito's neck. I think it will work for him. It works for our 3 who are all different sizes.

lizzielou742
06-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Thank you for the advice!! I am going to measure Tito tonight and then place an order! Thanks :)