PDA

View Full Version : How many times a day do you scoop?

Kfamr
06-25-2004, 07:52 AM
The litter box, of course.

I've been scooping the kittie's box everytime I go in there. Well, I check and see if they've gone, and if they have I scoop it out.

I absolutely can't stand the smell... so i've got to get rid of it as soon as I spot it. :p

Craftlady
06-25-2004, 07:55 AM
At least 4 times a day for 3 cats and two litter boxes. Used to have 3 litter boxes but they never used the third one so I put it away. Seems everyone likes the bathroom box the best. My crew loves clean boxes :)

Randi
06-25-2004, 08:00 AM
We normally scoop twice a day, but sometimes more if we pass and he's done his business. We're lucky to have a litter that doesn't smell. It's the clumbing one and easy to scoop up as well. :)

CatMama78
06-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Once a day. I really don't notice an unpleasant smell. What litter are you using? I'm just using Tidy cats for multiple cats and I sprinkle the Arm&Hammer litter odor stuff in it.

boscibo
06-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Once a day - three cats, four boxes. I have a separate cat room so the smell doesn't get too bad. Are they covering it well? Sometimes one of my cats neglects to cover completely - that is when it gets smelly.

catmandu
06-25-2004, 08:36 AM
At Least 4 times a day , then Moose The Magnificent and JJJ3 , wont dump everything , out , as they hate when the boxes are not pristine!

Kfamr
06-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Well, they're not my cats -- my brother gave us "Scoop Away" for multi-cats.

Maybe it's just because i'm not used to having kitty smells in my room. I tell you... i'm starting to LOVE dog fur and dog smells! :p :p

CatMama78
06-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Oh you know what else I think helps is a covered litter box :). I know yours are visitors, but if in the future you deicde to get a kitty, covered litter box is the way to go. Sometimes I wonder if I'm immune to litter smell, but when people come over they say they can't smell anything.

catnapper
06-25-2004, 09:00 AM
I scoop once a day - sometimes twice if I notice particuarly large deposits! :D

Allen is particular, Pouncer will go anywhere in any dirty box. I make sure they are perfectly clean in the morning, and ready for fussy Allen.

lizzielou742
06-25-2004, 09:22 AM
Once a day - two cats, two covered litterboxes. I don't have time to scoop any more than that - so I guess I better not get any more kitties! :(

Cataholic
06-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Once a day...seven cats, six litter boxes.

bluekat
06-25-2004, 09:52 AM
I only scoop once a day:p Also, I don't smell anything either, since we use an odourless type of litter I think.

lv4dogs
06-25-2004, 10:24 AM
I have 3 ferrets & 1 cat that share litter boxes, because of the ferrets I have 9 litter boxes around the house. The cat pretty much only uses 2 of them.
I scoop daily or every other day & empty every other day to every third day.
(it really depends on how smelly the cats feces are & how much out of cage time the ferrets have)

I really do not notice an odor (unless Meko got canned food LOL) I use the tidy cats, non clumping (cause of the ferrets) I use half & half of the immediate odor control & long lasting odor control. I also sprinkle wood pellet litter on the top (also for the ferrets).

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-25-2004, 11:00 AM
Once a day, 2 cats, 3 litter boxes, but I'm lucky enough to have them in the basement so they can stink away if they want and won't bother anybody. :)

Felicia's Mom
06-25-2004, 01:29 PM
Once a day for sure, in the evenings. I have two regular (not covered) litter boxes. Will do it before leaving for work if I have time.

AmberLee
06-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Once a day. Two cats, three boxes. But when they were kittens I scooped morning and night... I think they were smellier then (or I was less used to it).

Barbara
06-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Whenever I notice they are used. 2 cats, 2 boxes- and both of mine are fussy about it: Tigris stands in front of you and says "Meeeeooow" which translates into: "Slave-the box!!!!!!" Filou says no such things but he looks for the space under the stairs:(

2 times per day is the standard version.

jazzcat
06-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Once a day - three cats/four litter boxes all in a room in the garage so the smell isn't too much of a problem.

Now if anyone is sick (having runny or extra stinky poos) I will scoop a couple of times a day.

moosmom
06-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Well, since the fiasco while I was in CT, I scoop every day. It only takes a couple of minutes. I've also moved 4 of the boxes. I USED to have all 8 boxes in the back room, which is adjacent to the studio apartment that shares a heater vent. I moved 4 of them. 2 are in 2 empty closets in my other spare room and 2 more are in a pantry in my kitchen that is also empty and never used. WHAT A DIFFERENCE~!!!!!!

Sorry this is so long. :rolleyes:

Pam
06-25-2004, 03:12 PM
In the morning once a day usually. I have two cats and had two litter boxes until recently. I had them side by side but Andy would go in one and toss so much litter out of the box in his attempts to cover, that a lot of litter would go on the floor in between them even though there was only a tiny crack. Last week I bought one of those "under the bed" plastic storage thingies and that is now their new litter box. It is just about the size of two litter boxes and works so nice and has such a slippery bottom that my scooper just glides through it! :D Their box is under the stairs in the basement so I never notice any odor.

jenluckenbach
06-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Twice a day.

15 cats/14 boxes

AND

foster cats/ 7 boxes

nibblets
06-25-2004, 04:23 PM
since we are a one cat home I can get away with once a day, but if I walk by and she has made a deposit I grab the scoop and take care of it.

RedHedd
06-25-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by CatMama78
Once a day. I'm just using Tidy cats for multiple cats and I sprinkle the Arm&Hammer litter odor stuff in it. Ditto. Works for my two.

Lillycat
06-25-2004, 07:27 PM
when i am home all day (summertime) 3 times a day and l box for 3 cats.....i scrub the litter box several times a week and replace w/ the other one.........gads, jen you are a busy lady!!!!

trayi52
06-26-2004, 12:29 AM
Most of the time, I just scoop once a day. Sometimes I will scoop twice a day or if I happen to see a clump.

I have three litterboxes and two cats, and use a littler that has a nice scent. One of my litterboxes is covered and they seem to love that one the best. I have another litterbox in our bedroom just for Grover, so I guess that make four litterboxes in all.

I never notice a smell, and if there was, Jimmy would notice it right away, so I have to keep them clean so he doesn't complain about my cats.

Willie:)

Kfamr
06-26-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Pam
Last week I bought one of those "under the bed" plastic storage thingies and that is now their new litter box. It is just about the size of two litter boxes and works so nice and has such a slippery bottom that my scooper just glides through it!

That's what Orion and Caeleigh have. :)

NoahsMommy
06-26-2004, 01:01 AM
I scoop once a day, either before or after work. :)

Oh...7 indoor cats, 5 large, covered litter boxes. 1 enclosure kitty with her personal toilet. ;)

BitsyNaceyDog
06-26-2004, 10:18 PM
7 cats, 3 boxes. We scoop 2x daily. We use tidy cat for multiple cats too and all covered boxes. My cats don't get free feed, they each get a specific amount of food twice daily, that helps too. We also feed them Natural Balance which isn't a high stool producing food.

sirrahbed
06-26-2004, 11:27 PM
3 kitties and 3 boxes. We scoop at least twice a day because I am neurotically picky as are my cats:rolleyes: I will also scoop if a recent depsoit has been made. Usually hubby does the morning scoop :D Oh! and I find that Fresh Step with blue and green crystals works best for us - good odor control and hard clumps.

Freckles
06-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Recently I was visiting a neighbor when her cat came charging out of a back room. She commented that he would tear through the house like that every once in a while.

I confidently said "where is the litter box?" Yep, there was a fresh deposit. :)

Freckles does that, too, especially when she hasn't covered it up.
Since her litter box is centrally located in my home, I scoop whenever I see paw prints.:D