PDA

View Full Version : Tigs at the night time emergency vets

PayItForward
06-24-2004, 06:58 PM
I had to leave him there :(

The emergency vet said that his bladder wasn't very full but his symptoms of straining on his litter tray and licking his bits lots, pointed to having a very early blockage.

I had to leave a £100 cheque deposit in case I didn't come back..but you have my cat of course I'm coming back. Well, I suppose some people don't. :(

So we have to pick Tigs up tomorrow and take him to our own vets....fingers crossed for him :(

Karen
06-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Goodness - so hard to leave one overnight, isn't it? A deposit - yeah, right - don't they know they couldn't STOP you from coming back for him?

Prayers being added for Tigs.

(She had to repost this after the server freaked out and created 30+ copies of her first version. Sorry about that!)

Cinder & Smoke
06-24-2004, 07:05 PM
{{{HUGS}}}, PIF - and for you too, Tigs!

Plugged up Plummin is no phunn - just ask Boots. :(

But it CAN be *fixed* -
we'll hope Tigs can be fixed without Sir Jury!

Keep us posted.

PayItForward
06-24-2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks Karen & Cinder/Smoke

It is either a simple infection and antibiotics are needed or it is a bladder blockages which would have beeen fatal if left.

The vet thought it was the blockage.

Tigs was so sad when I left him. :(

Laura's Babies
06-24-2004, 07:14 PM
I bet I get more upset having to leave one of mine at the vets than they do. It is so hard to just walk out of there and leave them. Hope he gets well soon and will be alright. Glad you noticed something and got him help right away!!

PayItForward
06-24-2004, 07:16 PM
Thats what I was thinking, at least he has help even if it a minor problem.

When it comes down to it, Tigs is way more important than money

Steffi N
06-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Poor Tigs. I hope he will be all right soon.

PayItForward
06-24-2004, 07:20 PM

I'm going to bed, all he sooner time to pick Tigs up...8am and take him to our local vets for a complte checkup. :( :)

jazzcat
06-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Oh no PIF, poor Tigs!!!!

I'll say a prayer for him - and you!

kimlovescats
06-24-2004, 11:09 PM
Get well soon, Tigs! PIF .. I'm so glad you were quick to take him in!!! Please keep us updated!;)

krazyaboutkatz
06-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Poor little Tigs.:( I sure hope it's not a blockage problem. I went through this with Cirrus and it's not fun.:( Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please keep us updated.

slick
06-25-2004, 12:23 AM
Prayers for little Tigs!!!

Killearn Kitties
06-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Aww, poor little Tigs. I guess you will be picking him up soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he is feeling better.

PayItForward
06-25-2004, 02:32 AM
Tigs is home just for 20 minutes. :)

The emergency clinic shares pemises with the PSDA Charity so all emergency cases must be off the premises by 8am and transferred to their own vets.

It is a blockage and he might need an operation but the vet said we picked it up very early, that must be good.

That is due to having inside litter trays and we npticed him straining with no result last night.

They couldn't shift the blockage but managed to extract urine using a needle... yuck..Poor Tigs :(

So we have a written report and a urine sample for our vets, I am just waiting for them to open.

koxka
06-25-2004, 03:37 AM
Poor Tigs! :(
Hope all goes well to the vets and he is at home soon again.:)

All the paws and fingers crossed for him , here.
Koxka's Gang

PayItForward
06-25-2004, 04:10 AM
Our vet has kept Tigs in as expected. He said the emergency vet rang him very concerned that he couldn't shift the blockage.

So our vet will have another go and if that fails he will operate and try and clear the blockage from the inside.

I'm to ring them at 2pm for the results.

Please think about Tigs

Killearn Kitties
06-25-2004, 04:59 AM
Keeping everything crossed for Tigs!! Poor baby. That came out of the blue did it not? Good thing you got him to the vet quickly.

Barbara
06-25-2004, 05:27 AM
I keep all the fingers and paws crossed for cutie Tigs. I would be VERY worried but on the basis of some years Pet Talk I ahve the impression there can something be done about it (Fister's plumbing surgery was one of the first major problems I came into in detail- and how find is he now since then).

All the best for Tigs and you:)

PayItForward
06-25-2004, 06:28 AM
They managed to force the blockage back into his bladder by cathered him. Tigs is also on antibiotic and a special diet.

Hopefully the stone will now disolve but if it doesn't he might get blocked up again in the next few days, so we'll keep a careful eye on him.

Tigs will be coming home tomorrow, if everything is going well :D

-----------------------------------
I'm a bit confused about WHY Tigs got sick.

The Nice Man Vet said :-

:We were lucky to spot his problem so early most owners miss it until things get serious

:He asked about water & food. He said water fountains were great way of encouraging a cat to drink and we had the cats on a low mineral bland ID diet. He was very happy about our cats diet.

:He said that we were unlucky to have two cats prone to building up crystals and that in cases like ours where the cats have an excellent home life, it is unclear why such a young cat would get this. (George had a mild attack 2 years ago)

The Nasty Lady Vet said :-
(who said why bother treating Bramble for her poo problems as it would be cheaper to get another kitten !!!!)

: She supposed we didn't leave it too late as the blood tests were clear (No, Your vet partner said we were good to spot it so early)

:Tigs is fat (No, well within his range according to vet partner)

:Tigs is inactive (Wow that lady is wrong, as Tigs flys around the living room using walls and the cat tree as his own personal death wheel track EVERYDAY.)

:Tigs is highly stressed and upset (Doh, He is at the vets where people have been poking him with needle, I would be stressed too. But at home he is laid back and friends with all the other cats.)

:Tigs is not allowed access to enough water (two water fountains and a massive water bowl in the kitchen more than enough to drink)

:Tigs is being fed a poor diet (No Tigs is fed the highest quality diet which your vet partner, Nice Vet Man recommend)

In conclusion she wants to make sure he is actually watchd carefully so they are keeping him in....WTF. We are so good at knowing our cats, that we got Tigs to the emergency room before his physical signs even looked worrying. The emergency vet kept him in based on my gut feeling and description of squating NOT because of physical symptoms. Tigs only showed signs of illness over night as he became iller. I would say we keep pretty close eye on our cat !!!!

I really dislike this lady. She makes sneer comments about the number of cats we have and that we waste money on strays.

Well, it is our money to waste dear. :mad:

If it wasn't for the three nice men vets, we would never go there again. :(

So we are either really good owners acording to the three men vets or rubbish according to the nasty lady vets :mad:

Randi
06-25-2004, 07:56 AM
Oh Poor Tigs! :( At least you got him in in time. :)

Yes, Fister has been through it too - and Boots. I would have suggested a catheter to start with and the diet which dissolve the crystals, but your vet (or some of them!) know this of course. I'm sure you know that he's not allowed to eat even a tiny bit of other food.

Will he get antibiotics also?

Fister was flushed through 3 or 4 times with intervals of 3-6 months, but he kept blocking up, and in the end we decided on the operation. He's been fine since. :) I'm so glad that he can now have treats!

We'll keep our paws and fingers crossed that all goes well! :)

If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to PM me.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Poor Tigs. :( I sure hope the blockage dissolves on its own and he doesn't end up needing sir jury. :(

I can't believe 3 nice vets put up with the nasty vet. Why would they do that to their practice? Anyway you can request that she NOT see any of your kitties? Just say something like it's a personality conflict or something. She doesn't sound like she should be in the business anyway. What vet would recommend that it would be cheaper to get a new kitten rather than treat the one you have? Sheesh. :mad:

Positive thoughts and prayers going out for Tigs.

PayItForward
06-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Thanks Randi,

The vet said we can feed all our cats the same food, though Tigs will have to miss his treat of wet meat. I hope he doesn't need an operation but if he does/he does.

Thanks Debbie,

I know she is a heartless woman :( I usually ask for one of the other vets but as today was an emergency we had to take who was there.

I happened to see nice man when I took Tigs down and they gave him to the mean lady for treatment.

Cinder & Smoke
06-25-2004, 11:16 AM
First: SO Glad Tigs is out of danger and getting treatment! :)

Boots went through THREE plug-ups :eek: before we
elected the Sir Jury - so I got pretty "good" at
*spotting* the early signs of a blockage.
You'll neet to keep a sharp eye on him!

As for this >>>

Originally posted by PayItForward

... I know she is a heartless woman :(
I usually ask for one of the other vets but
as today was an emergency we had to take who was there.

I happened to see nice man when I took Tigs down and
they gave him to the mean lady for treatment.

I would strongly suggest that you arrange a conference with
Nice Man Vet to discuss this ugly situation!

The Three NICE Guys might not know just how BADLY Nasty Gurl Vet
treats their *Customers* AND the Customers' FurKids!

And you - as a PAYING *Customer* - certainly have the right to
request - no, Demand - that YOUR FurKids be treated by a
Caring and Professional Vet.

BEST WISHES & Prayers for Tigs' Speedy Recovery! ;)

/s/ Phred

momoffuzzyfaces
06-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Prayers continuing for for Tigs and my 4 cats have all their paws crossed too. Luke had troble with UTI when he was younger. My vet said for some reason neutered males are prone to getting it. He's 11 now and not had a problem in years. We are hoping Tigs has good luck too!

AmberLee
06-25-2004, 02:03 PM
Prayers for little Tigs, and fingers and paws crossed, too.

{{{hugs}}} to you for putting up with mvw (mean vet woman*) under a really stressful time.

* After those comments, I'm not calling her a lady. Hmmmp! :mad: :( :eek:

leslie flenner
06-25-2004, 07:53 PM
This nasty vet syndrome happened to me a few years ago at my vets. they hired a new woman who came in the room with culture jar and tweezers and was all ready to start pulling fur out of my siamese, Tuva. I quickly told her there is no reason to do a culture. "I want to check for ringworm". I said, he's been pulling his fur out for years, there's no ringworm, I've dealt with ringworm epidemic in my house- this is not it. she gave him a quick once over and ended the visit. Next time I went back, I said something about this woman to the owner, my regular vet, Dr. Kat Ternes. She quickly told me that vet is no longer there. I gave her the details about her attitude and assumption that Tuva had ringworm without even looking at him. She, as a professional, didn't respond directly to my complaint but inferred that many others had complained, hence her being gone. It can't hurt to tell your vet what you experienced! there may be many others out there that have said something and yours may tip the barrell and get her out of there! At minimum, ask who you are scheduled to see, and if it's her, ask for a different time for a different vet. Good luck to your boy in the meantime- lots of love being sent his way from me and all pettalkers! Hang in there!

leslie flenner
06-25-2004, 08:32 PM
This nasty vet syndrome happened to me a few years ago at my vets. they hired a new woman who came in the room with culture jar and tweezers and was all ready to start pulling fur out of my siamese, Tuva. I quickly told her there is no reason to do a culture. "I want to check for ringworm". I said, he's been pulling his fur out for years, there's no ringworm, I've dealt with ringworm epidemic in my house- this is not it. she gave him a quick once over and ended the visit. Next time I went back, I said something about this woman to the owner, my regular vet, Dr. Kat Ternes. She quickly told me that vet is no longer there. I gave her the details about her attitude and assumption that Tuva had ringworm without even looking at him. She, as a professional, didn't respond directly to my complaint but inferred that many others had complained, hence her being gone. It can't hurt to tell your vet what you experienced! there may be many others out there that have said something and yours may tip the barrell and get her out of there! At minimum, ask who you are scheduled to see, and if it's her, ask for a different time for a different vet. Good luck to your boy in the meantime- lots of love being sent his way from me and all pettalkers! Hang in there!

leslie flenner
06-25-2004, 08:33 PM
when the post didn't show up, i clicked on submit again so now there are 2! sorry!

NoahsMommy
06-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Poor baby Tigs!!! :( Poor baby Bramble! I didn't know either of them were ill. :( Please give them kisses and headbumpies.

First, we have to get deposits from clients leaving their animals as well. Suprisingly, it does happens. We've had people call AFTER the surgeries have been done to say they can't afford it and that they wont be picking up for or paying for their pet. :( Isn't that horrible? We just became the happy owners of a tortoise that had been almost eaten by the family's dog. :mad:

At work we have one MEANIE vet too. People that don't want to see him have NO DR. *NAME* on their charts. He happens to be half-owner, so people kind of have to choose if they want to keep doing business with us. :( Its sad, because a lot of good people have left us because of him. I've even had people approach me in public when I'm wearing my scrubs. :eek:

I was wondering why your furries are on I/D? I ask because that is what our vets usually prescribe for diarrhea/bowel problems and is temporary. With all the vets I took Micah to, they all didn't want him on it very long either, unless it greatly helped his IBD. Have you considered having them on Science Diet Maintaince? Check this link out: http://www.hillspet.com/owner/owner_prescription_diet.jsp

I'm not questioning you or your vet in a bad way, just wondering why they are all supposed to be on it. :)

I sure hope Tigs can avoid the surgery. Poor baby!

krazyaboutkatz
06-26-2004, 02:16 AM
I'm so sorry that Tigs has a blockage problem.:( This is also what my Cirrus had and he wasn't quite 2 years old yet. Since he's semi feral,very easily stressed by going to the vet, and extremely hard to medicate, my vet and I decided that surgery would be his best option because he'd most likely become blocked again. Now he's on the Hills Prescription C/D diet and is doing very well.

Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please keep us updated.

PayItForward
06-26-2004, 05:01 AM
Picked a very upset shaking Tigs from the vets :(

Apparently everyone thought he was shy and very quiet, not like our Tigs at all. :(

We have antibiotics and a special food in pouches for him. Tigs has to stay inside until Wednesday until his next check up. (He won't like that at all, expecting him to run the wheel of death around living room frequently until Wednesday)

He was upset on the vet’s table when I saw him but the moment he went into 'his' case to come home, he rolled on the floor and gave a sad chirp.

All other food had to be taken up before I let him out of his case. He ran eagerly to where the food bowl was, looked around in confusion and is currently sulking in a clean hooded litter tray.

Tigs is Home :D

PS. Kelly...Bramble is fine at the moment but that vet made that comment when she was having sloppy poo problems :(

Randi
06-26-2004, 05:22 AM
Oh, I can picture the look on Tigs' face when he saw the food bowl! :eek: Well, he's home and surely happy about it, even though having to stay indoors.

I hope the antibiotics works, so he can avoid an operation. Did you get the food for him which is suppose to dissolve the crystals? Fister had Hills S/D.

Tigs, get well soon! :)

PayItForward
06-26-2004, 06:06 AM
Randi,

We already feed them Hills Science Diet food because of Brambles problems.

Tigs new food is....Urinary with Chicken Royal Canin Veterinary Diet. Wet food in pouches.

ChrisH
06-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Just catching up on Tigs troubles. Happy he is back home with you now, not as happy as he is though I bet. :)

Get well soon Tigs.

Killearn Kitties
06-26-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm glad Tigs is back home. Poor baby. I'll bet he didn't enjoy those two nights away from home.

RedHedd
06-26-2004, 11:34 AM
Aww poor Tigs! I can just picture his face when he saw that the usual food bowl wasn't there. I hope he likes his new food. Get better Tigs!

catcrazylady
06-26-2004, 01:30 PM
I missed this whole thread!!! I guess I'm lucky in some ways because I didn't have to worry as long about poor Tigs! but I am sorry I didn't have any encouraging words for you while it was going on.
I'm so glad that poor Tigs is home and doing good for now. Her's hoping that the antibiotics and new food do the trick and surgery won't be necessary. Poor baby had a rough time of it I'm sure.

Keep us posted and give Tig's lots of kisses and extra snuggles from us!!

krazyaboutkatz
06-27-2004, 06:18 PM
I'm glad to hear that Tigs is back home.:) I hope that he'll like his new food and that this will help his problem. Get well soon Tigs.:)

Miss Meow
06-27-2004, 06:30 PM
I hope Tigs is on the way to good health soon. Sounds like he had a very scary experience at the vet's. Hope he's out of the litterbox hidey hole now!

leslie flenner
06-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Is that terribly expensive? If so, you could appeal to stores to pass you the stuff they are throwing away! That's how shelters and foster homes get the good stuff! Right Jan? Any ideas Jan?

kimlovescats
06-27-2004, 07:44 PM
Glad to hear that Tigs is back home, and I am sure he will get over his "sulking" in no time! ;)

trayi52
06-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Wow, I missed this whole thread too! But I am happy that Tigs is home with you. Just hoping he doesn't have to go through the surgery! I keep my fingers crossed and send lots of well wishes to sweet Tigs. Poor baby!!

Willie:)

Felicia's Mom
06-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Just read this thread for the first time. Glad Tigs is home!

Kirsten
06-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Missed the entire thread so far! Poor Tigs!!! (and what a stupid cow that one vet is!! :mad: )

I'm glad that Tigs is back home now. Please try to recover from the stress at the vet's, little boy. I know what it's like to be in hospital.

I hope he won't need surgery!

Kirsten

PayItForward
06-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Tigs had started to dribble rather than wee properly, so Steve took him back to the vets today around 2pm (Lucky Steve had the day off work)

Tigs was cathered again :( and flushed out :( and is back home with more pills.

Keep your fingers crossed for baby Tigs, he is not a happy kitty at the moment.

Killearn Kitties
06-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Aww, what a shame. Thinking of poor Tigs tonight and got my fingers crossed that his pills help. Please give him a cuddle from me.

The girls send headbumpies.

Cinder & Smoke
06-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward

... Tigs was cathered again :( and flushed out :(
and is back home with more pills.

Hmmm... :confused:

Does Tigs still have the Catheter *IN* ??

Here in the States, most Vets insist on Leaving the Catheter *IN*
for several days.

This encourages any Stones or Crystals that are in the Bladder to
flow out; and prevents re-plugging.
Cat is also sent home with an :eek: E-collar -
to prevent Feline Removal of the Catheter!

Since the Cat has NO control over when urine will flow out the catheter;
confinement in an easy-to-clean area is also required...
Boots spent his Catheter-IN days in the bathroom -
with a generous covering of newspapers on the floor.
We *tried* confinement in the fallin water klozit
(aka the Tub & Shower) - but he quickly learned how to slide
*open* the shower door...
So we *settled* on him having the Whole Room. :rolleyes:

GOOD LUCK, Tigs!!

/s/ Phred

Randi
06-29-2004, 01:29 PM
It's strange how vets do things so differently. To me it sounds like a good idea to have the catheter in for a few days - like Boots had. Fister didn't. :confused: I should have asked the vet why not!

I really hope the pills will work and he doesn't have to have further treatment, but be prepared that he does! :( In any case, you caught it early, so hopefully he'll be OK very soon! :)

Please keep us posted!

Give him kisses from us - and Fister sends special headbumpies!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Oh no, Tigs. I'm so sorry to hear you were back at the vets today. I'm sure hoping the pills and everything do their work so you don't continue to have this problem. :(

PayItForward
06-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Thanks everyone :)

Phred,

I'll have a chat with the vet again on Thursday (next vet appointment) about that suggestion, anything to help Tigs.

Barbara
06-29-2004, 03:15 PM
I am sorry to hear about Tigs. Hope all gets better soon!

ChrisH
06-29-2004, 03:46 PM
Poor Tigs. Fingers and paws crossed that the pills work this time.

leslie flenner
06-29-2004, 07:17 PM
On the positive side, he probably feels ok tonight? Keep up the good work, he knows you love him!

Steffi N
06-29-2004, 08:41 PM
I hope the pills work and that Tigs is better soon.
Gentle pets for you, Tigs.

jazzcat
06-29-2004, 09:51 PM
Poor Tigs. Hope this finally does the trick.

kimlovescats
06-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Oh dear ... just now seeing this. So sorry poor Tigs is still having potty problems! :( That oh nasty catheter has to be uncomfortable ... poor baby. Hugs to Tigs and prayers that this new medicine will work!;)

krazyaboutkatz
06-29-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Tigs is still having blockage problems.:( Hopefully the pills and new food will help him.

When Cirrus had his blockage problem, it was so severe that he became blocked again while still at the vets. He was then catheterized and stayed there until he had his surgery. My vet said that it would take a few months for the new food to help him and he didn't have that kind of time. I'm not sure how long it takes for the medicine to finally help him though.

Prayers and positive thoughts are still being sent to Tigs. Please keep us updated.

lizzielou742
07-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Poor Tigs kitty! Hope he's back to normal soon.

:(