PDA

View Full Version : The harm of eating insects

Canis Amicus
06-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Hello!

Lately, Rex, 3yo German Shepherd, is chasing and eating (I mean swallowing) flies, bugs (grasshopers?) and bees! eeewww! Is there any harm of him geting worms/parasites? I am afraid he could get a sting from a bee in his aerial ways or other internal organ.
I never saw him doing this before, I noticed since last week.

Do your dogs like to entertain themselves with this kind of snaks?

Thank you.

Rosana
and
Rex

rip93
06-24-2004, 12:49 PM
My sheperd likes doing the same thing. His bug of preference is a June bug:rolleyes:

Canis Amicus
06-24-2004, 12:57 PM
Oh, thanks! Maybe the bug he likes is that June Bug too (I simply do not know the name), he didn't eat any insect till now, at least that i have seen.

And about the flies and bees?

K9soul
06-24-2004, 12:58 PM
I doubt there is any harm in most of that, except for the bees maybe :eek:

I don't think there is any chance of him getting parasites from it. I know in some parts of the world, people eat insects too. They are apparently loaded with protein :p.

I've worried about Tasha getting stung by yellowjackets in the late summer and fall, she snaps at anything that buzzes around her face whether it be a fly or a wasp, and she's pretty fast. She has gotten several flies in the house before. I try to just distract her when she is snapping at bees/wasps.

dukedogsmom
06-24-2004, 01:01 PM
When Duke's at the barn, he loves to try to catch the flies. I don't think he catches too many but it's funny because he makes a loud noise when his mouth comes together. I call him gator jaws when he does that. He also loves to chase lizards but I never let him catch them. There are some here with blue tails that are poisoness.

Canis Amicus
06-24-2004, 01:10 PM
I decided to post about this, after a bee he didn't get, kept flying forth and backward toward us at the park, this afternoon.

Amber
06-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Katie loves to catch flies and try to eat them.

Elvis ate a ant the other day... :p

countrycowgirl
06-24-2004, 02:43 PM
all of my puppers love to catch and try to eat flys when we are down at the barb... silly puppers it is so cute when they do it :p