PDA

View Full Version : Question about aging dogs

bizdevguy
06-24-2004, 09:49 AM
My boy, Buddy, is about to turn 9 and I've noticed he isn't as happy anymore...he doesn't like to sleep in my room anymore, rarely comes when I call him, and generally seems depressed. He's not deaf, he just chooses to ignore me (unless I have treats). I feel like I've done something wrong, and he's upset with me. This is VERY hard on me, as he's been my best friend for 9 years. Advice please???

dukedogsmom
06-24-2004, 09:52 AM
I haven't had that problem with Duke(he's 11) Have you got him on senior food? That might help. Also, have you checked with your vet to see what they say? He may need a little doggie prozac or something. Does he like to go for car rides or walks? Maybe try doing that more.

Holly's mom
06-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Have you taken him to your vet for a checkup and possibly some blood work? There could be something going on with his health that could account for his change in behaviour.

dukedogsmom
06-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Here's one link I found. Just do a search on depression in dogs.
http://dogs.about.com/cs/disableddogs/a/depression.htm

stacwase
06-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Jake was acting like that. It happened so gradually that I just thought it was a personality thing. I thought he didn't like us at all and that he would be happier somewhere else. I even seriously considered sending him to live with my stepdaughter because I thought he'd like her better!

You know what it was? He was in pain. He wasn't showing any other symptoms of it, but he has arthritis. When we started giving him rimadyl, he became his lovely old self again.

Maybe your old guy has pain, as well. If I had known what I know now, I would have taken Jake to the vet for an examination sooner.

lv4dogs
06-24-2004, 10:14 AM
I agree that he may be in some kind of pain.
I would make a vet appointment for a geriatric exam & a cbc panel done (blood work)

Is he having any other symptoms at all? has his routine changed? Anything else changed?

bizdevguy
06-24-2004, 10:16 AM
thanks all..i suspected he was in pain as well, but he still will jump (long and high jumps!) and run when we go for our walks...it's very sad...like one PTer said, it makes me think he'd be happier somewhere else....i can't imagine being without him though.

Glacier
06-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Get his thyroid checked too! Low thyroid levels will often result in depression like symptoms. My senior dude, Preacher, is hypothyroid. The pills are cheap and the results are amazing. Preacher is a much happier, more active dog again.

Sudilar
06-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Have him vet checked. What type of dog is he?

bizdevguy
06-24-2004, 11:34 AM
he's a mixed breed...golden retriever/border collie. I'll take him to the vet...awful timing too, since i have to go out of town for a week....but of course I'll do whatever I have to, to make him happy and healthy....no question in my mind about that.

sabies
06-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Let us know how the vet trip goes! Definitely get blood work done and a full exam to rule out physical causes. If tests show nothing maybe all he wants is to do more of what he enjoys - like the walks. I know one thing for sure he wouldn't be happier somewhere else!