PDA

View Full Version : Two new additions

stacwase
06-23-2004, 10:08 PM
We just arrived home from Arkansas with my mom’s two Chihuahuas, Tony & Chloe (ages 8 months & 16 months). We never planned to take them, but Mom is very ill and (hopefully temporarily) unable to care for herself or the dogs. We really didn’t have a choice. The dogs aren’t housebroken, so nobody else in the family would take them. We don’t want to separate them because they’re very strongly bonded.

The plan is to housebreak them and then return them to my mom in November when we go back down to Arkansas for Thanksgiving. We had them spayed & neutered, and had their vaccinations updated.

The housebreaking is actually going quite well. We had them in the camper with us for 4 days. We’re crate-training them, and we haven’t had any accidents yet. Of course we haven’t given them the opportunity to have accidents – they’re never out of our sight.

Jake and Max aren’t too sure about them. I’m so nervous. I think Max will be OK with them, but he’s just so much bigger than they are! He’s not making eye contact with them at all. He looks at them and then looks away really quickly. Tony got down and tried to play a while, but Tony weighs 3.4 lbs. Max weighs close to 100 lbs! Max laid down on the floor near Tony, kind of looking at him out of the corner of his eye. He growled when Tony got close – but I think it was more like he was “talking” than growling. Jake just wants to play.

Chloe wants nothing to do with either of them. If they get close enough to her, she jumps up and bites their noses. It’s funny because she’s only 2.5 lbs.

Anyways – if any of you have any advice send it my way!!!! I want everything to go as smoothly as possible with Jake & Max. Ideally, nobody will have to get stitches or have any broken bones mended. It’s hard for me to tell why Max is avoiding eye contact.

Here’s their picture. They sure are cute little things – and so sweet! I can’t believe how observant they are, either. They’re great little watchdogs.

lute
06-23-2004, 10:35 PM
OMG! THOSE ARE THE TWO MOST ADORABLE CHIHUAHUAS I'VE EVER SEEN!!!:D GIVE THEM BOTH A KISS FOR ME!!!:D

good luck on the training.and i hope you mother gets better.

Dogz
06-23-2004, 11:12 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your mother's illness. I hope she gets better soon!

Congratualations on the new additons! What cuties they are!! :D

Welcome to Pet Talk, Chloe and Tony!

CountryWolf07
06-23-2004, 11:52 PM
Awww! :)

BCBlondie
06-24-2004, 03:08 AM
Both pups are SOOOO CUTE!!!!:D :D

I hope your mom gets better soon!!

ChrisH
06-24-2004, 05:06 AM
Awww, they are so gorgeous!! :)

I am sorry I don't have any advice about them and Max, I think I would be a bit nervous too! You seem to be doing good anyway, especially with the housetraining. :)

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how it is all going.

Chris
p.s. Hope your Mum gets better real soon.

stacwase
06-24-2004, 07:23 AM
Well - one night down!

We kept them in a little cat carrier on a chair on one side of the bed, and Max slept on his side.

This morning, it was soooooo cute. I went to get them out of the carrier and Max layed on his belly, smiling and waiting to see them. He sniffed them a little, but didn't try to play with them or do anything to make them nervous.

What a sweet, gentle giant!!

Here's a picture of them this am in their crate. As soon as I can safely do so, I will take a picture of them with Max and Jake. The size difference is hilarious.

Karen
06-24-2004, 07:43 AM
Awwwww! And what a good kid you are for taking them, gettin' 'em fixed and housebreaking them, too! How old are they?

stacwase
06-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Tony is 8 months. Chloe is 16 months. They were breeding already, when I had them fixed. The vet said if Chloe got pregnant, she'd have to have a C-section because she's so tiny. She's 2.5 lbs. Tony is 3.4 but needs to gain weight - he's all skin & bones. I think he could get up to about 4 lbs and still be slightly underweight.

I think my mom is afraid I'm going to keep them. I wouldn't do that. They're awfully sweet, and loveable - but just perfect for a single woman who doesn't get around much. I think they really help with her depression.

Mom fed them nothing but table food. She kept telling me they "wouldn't eat dog food". Ha. I've got them eating the dog food and licking the bowl when they're done! I need to get Tony a puppy formula though. He's just way too skinny.

lbaker
06-24-2004, 08:14 AM
Hope your Mom feels better soon. Send her lots of pictures of her pups, especially while they are playing and looking happy. Assure her they miss her but are making the best of their "summer vacation" and doing well. :)

stacwase
06-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by lbaker
Hope your Mom feels better soon. Send her lots of pictures of her pups, especially while they are playing and looking happy. Assure her they miss her but are making the best of their "summer vacation" and doing well. :)

She's worried. She says "Oh - they're going to love you more than they love me!" Poor thing.

I sure hope she can take them back. She's just so sick. My sister will take them, if she can't. She just couldn't take them while they weren't housebroken. She was at the hospital with Mom so much that she couldn't take care of them. My sister lives close enough that Mom could at least see them frequently.

dukedogsmom
06-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Sorry your mom isn't feeling well. There's nothing like animals to make you feel better. Hopefully she'll be able to take care of them soon.

dappledoxie
06-24-2004, 08:22 PM
They are really cute!