PDA

View Full Version : What insect do you most dislike/fear?

DJFyrewolf36
06-23-2004, 04:52 PM
I was wondering if any of you had as big of an insect fear as I do! I H-A-T-E milipedes/centipedes and earwigs. I will scream bloody murder if I see one. Now I can go hug and kiss a black widow spider and play tidilywinks with scorpions all day long but you get me within sight of a milipede or an earwig I will flip out! Ugh, so crawly...one time I was out caving and this dang centipede crawled over my foot....I ran for about literaly a mile before I calmed down. Took the instructor a while to find me lol.

Ick ick ick ick!!

CathyBogart
06-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Hmmm....You guys know I LOVE bugs...but I DO get freaked out by centipedes. We had a bright orange 8" long vietnamese centipede at work for awhile and I didn't like it much. However, I was also the only person willing to feed it. :(

binka_nugget
06-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Most insects and bugs freak me out. I'm just not an insect/bug type of person. I felt a worm on my foot last week for the VERY first time. I've managed to avoid touching one, even when we did a dissection. I felt it and when I realized, I started screaming like there was no tomorrow. I can still feel it on me.. :eek: ick

sirrahved
06-23-2004, 08:50 PM
I absolutely FREAK OUT about spiders. I was getting better, but about six months ago I looked down at my arm and watched one in the process of biting me! I also freak out about lice (they're just gross!)!

Karen
06-23-2004, 08:56 PM
I like 'em bugs! No slugs or leeches, but other than that - I'm the counselor who would bring the spider down a long hallway and then down stairs and then outdoors to get the poor thing away from screaming campers!

Felicia's Mom
06-23-2004, 09:04 PM
My choice would be spiders too.

tikeyas_mom
06-23-2004, 09:43 PM
ummm probably whasps, or wolf spiders... I FREEKING hate Mosquitos (sp?)!!!!!

Pam
06-23-2004, 09:50 PM
I am not an insect fan at all. In fact I could really do without all of them. :D I guess the "Big Three" for me would be bees, spiders and centipedes. When I was growing up there were often centipedes in our basement. I told my mom once that if one of them was ever walking on me with all of those legs I would probably need to be committed to a mental hospital! :D (The thought is making me shudder right now!) On behalf of dogs everywhere, I also hate fleas and ticks. In fact I also hate mosquitoes and those red ants that bite and probably many more insects that I can't even think of right now. Yep, I would be a happy person in a world without insects! :p

cocker_luva
06-23-2004, 09:57 PM
i hate small, fast, medium size spiders. they freak me out, especially when i spot one in my room and i cant catch it in time. then i get paranoid about it, i have to catch it before i go to bed!!! :rolleyes: :o :)

Uabassoon
06-23-2004, 10:02 PM
I'm fine with spiders, well most of them. I saw a black widow spider and almost cried as I was running away. Most bugs scare me, especially roaches. For awhile I thought about getting a roach as a pet so I could learn to love them, but then I realized I'd just lie in bed staring at it in fear.

Kfamr
06-24-2004, 05:07 AM
Cockroaches and Palmeto bugs!
They're so disgusting and we get alot of palmeto bugs around here :( :eek:

*LabLoverKEB*
06-24-2004, 07:20 AM
Oh, lets see....

June Bugs (those big ole' crunchy bugs)lol
Bees
Whasps
Cockroaches
And kind of spider, especially the bg/hariy ones
I HATE flies

K9soul
06-24-2004, 09:02 AM
The insect that truly inspires fear in me are yellowjackets. I got stung when I was younger out washing my car and had quite a reaction, including major swelling of my arm that stayed like that for 3 days, and a bit of fever. It was so incredibly painful too. They sting so easily and in the late summer/fall they are out in droves and they just get up and buzz right in your face and they freak me out. I haven't been stung since then but I'm such a wuss about it and I really fear it.

As far as being disgusted/getting the willies, probably roaches. I remember when I was growing up in southern Missouri, you could turn on the light in the garage at night and there would always be a roach or two scuttling off into corners, just made me shudder. I know they don't physically hurt people but they just give me a feeling of disgust.

Ticks I believe are actually in the arachnid family and not the insect family, but they are another creature that causes a feeling of revulsion.

DJFyrewolf36
06-24-2004, 09:21 AM
I also am freaked out by one type of scorpion...these things literally GLOW in black light. When I was younger I had black lights in my room and would wake up to see these things crawling up my wall...

Ewwwww

Oh, have any of you cockroach "fans" seen a flying cockroach? :eek: THOSE are creepy, and big too!!

pink_giggles90
06-25-2004, 05:49 AM
ummm.... i have a question. is there a reason for insects?:confused: we have a million animals to eat them, but they don't do anything but make us scream! i have a terrible phobia of flies. its really not funny!:( i cant have picics, and if theres one in a resturant i make my mum take me home, i FREAK! i start to itch, and sweat, and if i hear one i scream.:o i get so embarresd when people laugh at me. i.e. my family. they think its funny.:( and roaches, i'm worse with flies but i'm gonna have me a roommate to kill them cause i cant. and well this isn't an insect. and i'm sorry to all the lovers. but RATS are the worst! thhe are one of the worst creatures to me. maybe its just ones i see on t.v. i've never and will never meat one, but plz don't think i don't like rattie people. more powa to yA! its just not 4 me! :p

but def. FLIES

pink_giggles90
06-25-2004, 05:52 AM
OH AND :

WASPS &YELLOW JACKETS

ME DOG ATE TWO WASPS AS A PUP! silly puppy!:D

K9soul
06-25-2004, 08:58 AM
There are many many reasons for insects. Some of them have functions that are less obvious, but many have very vital functions in nature, even if it is just that they serve as food for many other creatures. I can guarantee you, many bird species alone would go extinct without insects! Many insects pollinate various plants.. I know there are some exotic flowers and plants that have particular features to attract one type of insect in order to pollinate itself. Without flies, there would be carrion and rot all over the place :eek:. Many other insects help keep down populations of smaller insects. I'm sure I have only barely touched upon all the things they do.

But anyway, the bottom line is YES! Our world would be in chaos without them!

ILoveReptiles
06-25-2004, 11:02 AM
I'm not all that crazy about insects... but some of them are cool. Spiders creep me out sometimes, but I can live with them.

The one thing I totally HATE though... are Flies.

I cannot STAND flies. When I see them I think: "Terds with wings. great."

DJFyrewolf36
06-25-2004, 11:25 AM
Good point K9...insects serve a purpose...

Just they don't have to serve a purpose near me lol :D

jonza
06-25-2004, 12:34 PM
I H-A-T-E milipedes/centipedes and earwigs.
It's lucky you weren't on holiday with us in the Dominican Republic then. The very first meal I ate in the hotel restaurant, and what crawls out of my desert - a great big centipede! A couple of days later, a HUGE beatle fell out of the roofing and landed in my hair. Did I jump!
As a kid I was always scared to death of scorpions, spiders, whatever. Later I visited a friend in the south of France, and his dad was an insect expert, and the whole house was full of cages with crab spiders, preying mantis and all sorts of other creepy crawlies. After a week of that I was cured!

BitsyNaceyDog
06-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Slugs, Yuck. They are the only thing that totally creeps me out. I don't like roaches either, but they don't bother me like slugs do.

BitsyNaceyDog
06-25-2004, 04:52 PM
Oh, I almost forgot...FIRE ANTS ouch:eek:. I hate those little guys.

Tina
06-25-2004, 05:33 PM
I don't care that much for insects either. Some don't bother me as much as others though.

I do not like

Spiders
Earwigs
Bees
whasps
ants

cocker_luva
06-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by jonza
It's lucky you weren't on holiday with us in the Dominican Republic then.

i didnt have a problem with bugs when i was there! thank god!

KYS
06-26-2004, 08:36 AM
Cock-roaches, some spiders and grass hoppers. I am
sure their are more but I can't think of them right now. :eek:

kari
06-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Guster Girl here. :) I'm at home, and, it won't let me log in as guster girl. But, anywhoo......Insects mostly don't bother me as long as they don't get on me. But, flying, buzzing, stinging ones scare me to death. Hornets, bees, wasps, yellowjackets, etc. Crickets and grasshoppers make me jump and scream, but, it's funny. They just jump in the strangest directions. You never know where they're going! Spiders scare me, but, are they insects? They make my skin crawl. Although, on TV and at a safe distance, I think all creepy crawlies are really interesting and beautiful. Bug shows are cool. ;)

EssTer
06-26-2004, 01:09 PM
well I dont like mostly all of them...

Twisterdog
06-26-2004, 10:51 PM
It would be a much shorter list to ask which insects I don't dislike/fear. Bleck ... I don't dig bugs at all.

I like butterflies, ladybugs, ants, dragonflies and bees from a distance.

All other bugs ... no thanks, I don't like them at all.

But these (http://homepage.mac.com/bugbob/askdoctorbug/stenopelmatus.html) horrid things are the absolute worst, IMO. I just freak out if I see one. :eek: