PDA

View Full Version : Hot or Not??

RICHARD
06-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Mother and daughter sue restaurant over spicy dish

Staff of a Chicago restaurant called police because two customers wouldn't pay for a meal they said was too hot.

Carlice Nash-Taylor and her daughter, Danyale, said they couldn't eat the jambalaya dish they were served at the 115 Bourbon Street restaurant in Merrionette Park.

They told staff the dish was too spicy, and when the restaurant refused to take the meal back the pair said they wouldn't pay.

They eventually offered to pay for some of their meal, but that offer was rejected.

They're now suing the restaurant, claiming they were falsely arrested, wrongfully detained and had their civil rights violated.

Their lawyer said the restaurant overstepped its bounds by using the police as a "personal private, collection agency."

The restaurant released a statement saying it will defend the allegations in court, says the Chicago Sun-Times.

------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't jambalaya supposed to be spicy???

I love it when the phrase civil rights get mentioned.....it's code for
"we don't have a case, but ARE looking for money!"

Randi
06-23-2004, 01:00 PM
LOL! It will be interesting to hear if Sara or Debbie has had a meal there. :eek:

Debbie, perhaps that's the place to have lunch/dinner with your boss .... and you may not see him in the office for a few days. LOL! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-23-2004, 02:53 PM
No, I've never been there before, but it sounds yummy, I'll have to check it out! :D

My boss loves spicy food and he can handle hotter than me, so somehow I don't think this would get rid of him - drat! :rolleyes: :D

slick
06-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Just got this in an email and thought it was suitable for this thread:

On a lighter note, it's time once again to view the winners of the 2003 Stella Awards.

The Stellas are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonalds. That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most uniquely successful lawsuits in the United States for year.

The following are this year's winners:

HONORABLE MENTION:

A 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

HONORABLE MENTION:

Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams who was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

FIFTH PLACE:

A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx! (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

FOURTH PLACE:

Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

THIRD PLACE:

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

SECOND PLACE:

Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't reenter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed, to the tune of $500,000.

GRAND PRIZE WINNER:

This year's favorite could easily be Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreational Vehicles.

QueenScoopalot
06-23-2004, 08:10 PM
http://www.atlanet.org/ConsumerMediaResources/Tier3/press_room/FACTS/frivolous/McdonaldsCoffeecase.aspx I personally wouldn't have wanted to be her that's for sure! The woman had to lay on a hospital bed for over a week with her crotch fully exposed to all, and have all the burnt tissue debrided day after day. I really think it's high time the "Stella Awards" were renamed...maybe to "McDonalds made me fat...so now I'm suing"! Now dish out the spicy food..I'm starved! Here's one more site I found...http://www.osmond-riba.org/lis/essay_mcdonalds.htm

Lady's Human
06-23-2004, 11:04 PM
It's coffee.......It's supposed to be hot, and anyone who puts a cup of steaming hot liquid between their knees to add cream and sugar is at best a fool. There are some places that hot beverages just dont belong. I'm surprised the manufacturer of the car wasn't sued for not providing a cupholder, surprised that the maker of the cups wasn't sued for an ergonomically incorrect cup design, etc.........

Lawyers that take these cases have a special place waiting for them, and it is nowwhere near the RB..... The clients typically get about 2/3 of the money awarded after the client either wins or settles, which is why the lawyers take these cases. My favorite example of this type of law practice is the law firm in OKC who had billboards out for about 8 months dredging for clients in class action cases. Justice has nothing to do with this, it's all about the $$$$$

RICHARD
06-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
[BThe woman had to lay on a hospital bed for over a week with her crotch fully exposed to all, and have all the burnt tissue debrided day after day. [/B]

Shame on you!

How can you use the word "debride" on this board!

Isn't that the word for divorce?

;)

QueenScoopalot
06-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Sorry RICHARD....:( I'll nevr do it again. Now what's the word for getting men out of your life?:D :confused:

RICHARD
06-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
Sorry RICHARD....:( I'll nevr do it again. Now what's the word for getting men out of your life?:D :confused:

DE-MAN-D????

Really :confused: now!!

thelmalu99
06-24-2004, 01:15 PM
More judges should be like my favorite TV judge, Judge Judy.
One of her favorite sayings is, "Forget about it. I'm not going to reward you for being stupid."

minkyboodle
06-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Lady's Human
It's coffee.......It's supposed to be hot, and anyone who puts a cup of steaming hot liquid between their knees to add cream and sugar is at best a fool. There are some places that hot beverages just dont belong. I'm surprised the manufacturer of the car wasn't sued for not providing a cupholder, surprised that the maker of the cups wasn't sued for an ergonomically incorrect cup design, etc.........

Yea, coffee is supossed to be hot...but not as hot as McD's keeps it! They keep it well over 120 degrees i do believe which is crazzzzy and well above the standard that other restaurants keep theirs at.

QueenScoopalot
06-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by minkyboodle
Yea, coffee is supossed to be hot...but not as hot as McD's keeps it! They keep it well over 120 degrees i do believe which is crazzzzy and well above the standard that other restaurants keep theirs at. The links I posted above state that McDonalds serves coffee at 185 degrees minus or plus 5 degrees. This will cause third degree burns in seconds. Also Stella Liebeck only wanted to be compensated for her hospital expenses, not become a millionaire. The woman didn't want all the notoriety that came with the case I'm sure, and she must be horrified to have her name attached to frivilous lawsuits.:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

G.P.girl
06-24-2004, 05:04 PM
OMG! those Stella awards are crazy! what judge would be stupid enough to give them that???:rolleyes: idiots

catnapper
06-24-2004, 08:39 PM
UGH... I truly hate these stupid frivolous lawsuits! This is whats wrong with our country right now - people want to get rich quick. I especially cringe when I hear of criminals suing the people who fight back. Sorry, but if you break into my home and I manage to get a hold of you in the process, you won't be walking away looking pretty... you'd better not try to sue me over it either. I've got me two attack cats and big monster dog! :D

moosmom
06-27-2004, 08:33 PM
RICHARD,

Isn't jambalaya supposed to be spicy???

That was MY thought exactly. I hope the judge is smart enough to dismiss it. It's assanine cases like that that clog up the courts.

DJFyrewolf36
06-28-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
UGH... I truly hate these stupid frivolous lawsuits! This is whats wrong with our country right now - people want to get rich quick. I especially cringe when I hear of criminals suing the people who fight back. Sorry, but if you break into my home and I manage to get a hold of you in the process, you won't be walking away looking pretty... you'd better not try to sue me over it either. I've got me two attack cats and big monster dog! :D

In this state, it's legal to make sure they aren't walking away at all. In my opinion, you loose your rights to complain once you invade another persons space. Besides, if someone sued me over something my cat did while they were invading my home, Id hire a lawer and make it so they would have to sue the cat!
The cat would win, especially if I found a judge that liked cute kitties ;).