PDA

View Full Version : Famous cat lovers and haters in history - and an interesting theory...

Kirsten
06-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Read an interesting article in the Geman magazine "Our Cats" yesterday, it compared cat friends and cat haters and one aspect was that cat haters are often power-hungry people who wanted to rule the world, and the theory goes that an independend creature like the cat was something they had to fight.

So in the following list of known cat haters you will find some real bad guys:

Alexander the Great, Nero, Stalin, Gaius Iulius Caesar, Djingis Khan, Benito Mussolini, Adolf Hitler

They also listed names of people who were cat friends, and there were many creative minds amongst them, and people who always tried to do good:

Plato, A. Huxley, Abraham Lincoln, Albert Schweitzer, E.T.A. Hoffmann, Heinrich Heine, Mark Twain, Rudyard Kipling, Ernest Hemingway, Colette, Winston Churchill... (just to name a few]

So, does that mean cat lovers are the better persons? :D

Kirsten

DJFyrewolf36
06-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Maybe :D I notice there are a lot of writers on that cat lover list...maybe cats are insperational? I know my kitty is!!

NoahsMommy
06-23-2004, 01:02 PM
It would seem to me that those that hate cats, must be intimidated by their individuality.

:) Neat thread!

Kirsten
06-23-2004, 01:42 PM
must be intimidated by their individuality.

Yes, I think it must be something like that!

Kirsten

Killearn Kitties
06-23-2004, 02:36 PM
It doesn't surprise me a bit that cat-haters are psychopaths. :D What's not to love after all?

Catsnclay
06-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten

So, does that mean cat lovers are the better persons? :D

Kirsten

Why of course we are............:rolleyes: :D

catlady1945
06-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Does that mean cat lovers are better persons? ......yes, it does!

Randi
06-23-2004, 02:55 PM
I have edited my post. What I wrote yesterday, was put rather clumsily.

Originally posted by NoahsMommy
It would seem to me that those that hate cats, must be intimidated by their individuality.

I agree with this! :)

Kirsten
06-23-2004, 03:43 PM
and some of the dog lovers unfortunately just want obedience.

Exactly! After all, Hitler had a German Shepherd dog, right?

Kirsten

kathy
06-23-2004, 05:11 PM
I just think cat haters tend to be control freaks. and cats, obviously, can't be controlled.

and don't we just love that about them!

sirrahbed
06-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Catsnclay
Why of course we are............:rolleyes: :D

why..that is a given!!!;)

Kfamr
06-23-2004, 05:17 PM
:rolleyes:

I think animal lovers period, are "good people"
People like Hitler want attack dogs, they want dogs who will kill.

Dog LOVERS want companions, best friends, and wonderful family members.

Most of the cat people I know are Creative. Most of the dog people I know are creative. Most of the cat people I know love their cats. Most of the dog people I know love their dogs.

There's no difference in people's intellectual or artistic abilities if they own a dog, cat, bird, possum, rat, snake -- whatever. Unless your cat can teach you how to do different shading techniques in a drawing.

Amber
06-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Doesn't matter what pet you have..

Any pet makes you a good animal lover.

I have dogs, and I don't use them for obiedience. They are family.

I'm a good person, and animal lover even if I don't have cats.

Kirsten
06-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Well, please keep in mind that the original post wasn't made to difame people that like dogs! It was about cat haters, and that's not necessarily the same! ;)

The majority of dog persons are wonderful people who respect all live in general, the discussion was only about the control freaks who would probably rather have a dog that follows their rules than a cat which is too independent for this kind of people.

Kirsten

Kfamr
06-23-2004, 05:48 PM
I'd rather have a dog who follows my rules, because I'd rather NOT have an uncontrollable animal in my home. Having a dog for obedience doesn't mean you can't love it as well. Right now both of my dogs are lying by my side, because my parents are eating and Nala would not leave them alone. So I called them over and told them to lay down. If they were cats, there's no way I could get them out of my mother's dinnerplate and I don't think that would have a good outcome. That does not make me a controll freak.

I'd chose an obediante dog over a cat, any day. Although I do love cats, and I do want a cat... If my father allowed me to get another dog rather than a cat, i'd go for it.

EssTer
06-23-2004, 05:48 PM
That's intresting, I didnt know that Djingis Khan and Hitler were cat haters...:rolleyes:

jazzcat
06-24-2004, 01:50 AM
Remember this isn't a cat people against dog people post. It's just interesting trivia about people known to hate cats - some may have hated dogs too for all we know.

I love dogs and cats and find that they have wildly different traits but I wouldn't put down one against the other. They both make wonderful loving companions and members of the family.

I do find it interesting that you will more often hear people say they don't like cats than dogs. Maybe it takes a certain type to be a cat lover, I don't know. I love them both!!!!:D

Kirsten
06-24-2004, 04:07 AM
I do find it interesting that you will more often hear people say they don't like cats than dogs.

Well, the article also says something interesting about that. Theory goes that real cat haters often have problems with the femals aspects of the human nature. So often persons who are comitting sex crimes have often tortured or killed cats in their past, as a pre-stage to the crime they did to woman later.

Besides, all the bad legends and rumours about cats are still in some people's heads, this is why they may appear spooky to some. All this has its roots back in the Middle Ages, when the Christian Church feared self-confident and strong women to be witches - and as we know, many many cats have lost their lives during the witch hunts also.

Kirsten

catlady1945
06-24-2004, 07:17 AM
I thought this post was a bit of fun, but people take offense at anything! Sheesh!

catmandu
06-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Muhammed , the fonder of Islam , was a CatLover, once ruining an expensive robe , rather than disturb , a sleeping Kitten! Dogs are nice, but messy , and can bedestructive , the Cats have never chewed up anything , expensive!

sirrahbed
06-24-2004, 10:05 AM
I also understood the article to be about cat-haters - not about people who prefer dogs over cats, etc. I only can think of two rabid cat haters that I know personally and YES they are both control freaks. One is my dad and the other is an abusive pastor who assaulted *me* and several other victims while the congregation was too afraid to do anything about it. Someone who actually HATES cats has got to have something very wrong. I also agree that cats are often cpmpared to women and that a true cat-hater probably detests women in some way because he cannot dominate them except through power.
Good article and comparison, Kirsten.

Kirsten
06-24-2004, 04:14 PM
catmandu, I remember this story about Mohammed, I always thought that was really sweet of him. :)

Debbie, I agree, cat haters, - or people in generell who hate some kind of living creatures - often have really bad problems with their own personality.

Kirsten

CatMama78
06-24-2004, 04:21 PM
My theory is if animals on the whole seem to take to you, you are probably a good person. Animals, through their senses, know things about people that we do not.

I love, love, love cats! And I love doggies too :) Maybe too much as my first instinct is to run and greet any domestic animal, which has almost gotten me nipped on a few occassions :)

kathy
06-25-2004, 01:21 PM
I didn't mean to offend anyone one by saying control freak. It's not meant negatively.

I feel blessed to love all animals. I have cats since I live in an apartment but I'd love to have a dog, too. I'd love to have goats too.

When people tell me they hate cats, it's always the same reason, this lack of trust. I always want to convert them. And actually, when I've had the opportunity to, the result is usually the person, usually a man, falls madly in love with cats and thinks their's is the most special one ever born. I love doing that since I know cat fear and hatred is kind of irrational and very easy to correct. And I think everyone should be able to experience the sweetness of cats, mixed with their wonderful intelligence.

And they're so easy to take care of, for lazy people like me!

Barbara
06-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Of course cat lovers are better people! We are;) ;)

But-just kidding- I don't think it is the GSD's fault that Hitler liked them- I am sure he cannot have understood a dog's personality as well.

Dogs are pack people and live differently than cats and for some strange personal reasons I prefer cats although I love dogs as well- something that always fascinates me in dogs is when they are so happy- just running along and loving life!

And regarding the fact what wonderful people Pet Talkers are- I really am convinced pet lovers are better people:D

BTW- my friend Eckhard whose old cat Bodo died of FIP some months ago, now has a new kitten, Gizmo (story to be told one day). He just reported that even his teenage son who pretends not to like animals fell for Gizmo! I think this makes the difference- a bad guy would never fall for a cat. A good one however, whatever he pretends will be touched by a pet's love:D