PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic??? If so, WHAT do you eat???

kimlovescats
06-22-2004, 07:30 PM
I am still a fairly newly diagnosed diabetic, and I know that David P is newly diagnosed as well. Even after months of trying to do better, I am still having a hard time controlling what I eat ... therefore, controlling my blood sugar. :rolleyes: Right now I am trying to just simply cut out ALL BREAD ... and that has really helped quite a bit. I am wondering what any diabetics on PT usually eat, and how they have modified their diet and lifestyles!

Thanks for any information!

;)

trayi52
06-22-2004, 07:34 PM
My husband is also a Diabetic, I would like to know what you eat and maybe some recipes too! Anybody have some recipes to share too?

Thanks!

Willie:)

davidpizzica
06-22-2004, 07:42 PM
Right now, Diet pop IS MY FRIEND!! Tommorrow I'll find out my other diet "friends"

kimlovescats
06-22-2004, 07:53 PM
LOL!!! I know what you mean, David ... but the carbonation is playing HAVOC on my GERD! Yep, got the acid reflux thing goin' on too!!!:rolleyes:

slick
06-22-2004, 07:57 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread because I've been told that I'm borderline. No need for meds at this point, just try and live a healthier lifestyle.

Sevens
06-22-2004, 08:04 PM
I know it sounds horrible, but I still eat sugar stuff I know I shouldn't. I just make "room for it" in my diet (go low on carbs and fat if I want a piece of cake after dinner, etc.).

*Sigh* but lately I've been being really bad and just doing the "see food" thing. And I haven't checked my blood sugar in two years since I moved to the city I am in. However, I do get my blood tested once every three months and all my levels, sugars, cholesterol, etc. always seem ok.

One of the biggest things is drinks. That was the easiest thing for me to cut out. Sweet tea, full sugar sodas, juices, alcohol. You just don't realize how much sugar you are drinking, and it's worse cause it jacks up your blood sugar so fast. Now I drink unsweetened iced tea and water. Diet sodas give me the shivers, I can't stand the fake sweeteners.

Good luck to all of you! I know you'll get the hang of the diet and it'll turn out just fine. It just takes time...It's been almost 4 years for me and I am still getting used to it, but after the first year, it really wasn't so bad.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, do your docs have you on any meds? I am on 800mg of Glucophage twice a day and it worked wonders bringing my sugars down.

Nomilynn
06-22-2004, 08:13 PM
I eat a lot of carbs. It's my favourite food!!! :) Honestly, it's all about portion size. I've been weight watchers for a while now, and learning portion size has caused me to take about 3units less of insulin each meal. Don't cut out all carbs though. The Adkins fanatics (by this I mean people who eat NO carbs because they don't research the diet properly) will eventually mess themselves up to the point of possible kidney failure. You NEED carbs!! :)

Karen
06-22-2004, 08:17 PM
To drink, many of my diabetic friends share my love of Friut2-O - zero calories or carbs, but still has flavor and no saccharine or Nutrasweet aftertaste. I am not diabetic, but have friends - and one brother-in-law newly diagnosed - who are.

davidpizzica
06-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Karen
To drink, many of my diabetic friends share my love of Friut2-O - zero calories or carbs, but still has flavor and no saccharine or Nutrasweet aftertaste. I am not diabetic, but have friends - and one brother-in-law newly diagnosed - who are. Karen, I gotta try that!

davidpizzica
06-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
LOL!!! I know what you mean, David ... but the carbonation is playing HAVOC on my GERD! Yep, got the acid reflux thing goin' on too!!!:rolleyes: I don't get that, but I do have my arthritic knee problem. Maybe taking some weight off will help that.

rg_girlca
06-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Kim, there are a few good recipe books for diabetics on the market these days. If you can't find any in your area, please let me know, I will get you one from here.:D

My hubby was a diabetic due to being overweight. He was on medication for it. He has lost 30 pounds now and hasn't had to take any meds for the last 6 months. He still checks his blood count every 3-4 days and it has been stable between 5-7.

Christiansmommy
06-22-2004, 10:33 PM
I had gestational diabetes. It went away after i delivered Christian, but i am told that i have to watch what i eat, or i could get Type 2 as an older adult, since i did have gestational diabetes, though borderline...i controlled it with diet, no insulin.

I went from eating completely normal, to having to cut back on carbs significally while pregnant (with in a matter of a day or 2). Since my baby was at risk, if i didnt follow my diet, i stuck to it, like it was the Bible.

Basically, it is better for a diabetic to eat several smaller meals a day, rather than 3 large ones. I had to eat 6 meals a day (3 main and 3 snacks)...i had to monitor my blood 7 times a day...my endocrynologist was very strict, since i was pregnant.

This is what i was allowed, although, the diet is somewhat more strict for a pregnant woman. I went to a nutritionist as well, to help me know what to eat, and not to eat.

For breakfast, i would eat a piece of bread, an egg and 1 cup of milk.

If you are going to consume carbs, it is better to eat them with a protein, like tuna and bread, or a little bit of pasta, and some meat...that way the sugars absorb (i guess that is the right word to use), slower, when eaten with a protein...that is what i was told anyway.

Snacks were usually a piece of bread with peanut butter (again, protein and carb)...could only have 15 carbs at my snacks. Or cheeze-it crackers, or crackers and cheese (counted out to portion size)...cheese was my friend during my pregnancy...whenever i got hungry, and it wasnt time for a meal or snack, i would eat a cheese stick (no carbs)...

Lunch would usually be a sandwich (cheese, turkey), milk, veggies, watermelon or cantelope...measured out to what i was allowed to have for that meal...

Dinner would be some sort of protein, i think around 30 carbs, and that would include my milk and fruit, or whatever...

I would really suggest going to a nutritionist, at least once, that way you have a guideline...

i would occasionlly have a diet soda, but not often, due to being pregnant.

Since having Christian, i still do the low carb...so i can try to avoid getting full blown diabetes as an older adult...

Friendlies has a really good low carb ice cream...i think it was made with Splenda.

Exercising after meals, helps to lower the sugar levels too.

There are so many things on the market now that are low carb/no carb...if i ever have another baby and get the GD again, i have many more options than i did, even just 3 years ago.

They have lower carb pasta/bread/sauce/salad dressing...you name it.

Anyway, sorry for rambling...i only had the diabetes for 3 months, but it was a big part of my life when i had it, and i took it very seriously...anyway, hope i helped some :)

Robyn

Corinna
06-22-2004, 11:27 PM
I have genitic diabetes my mom dad and 3 of my 4 grandparents had it.
I was diaignost during my hubbys cancer stuff 10 years ago.
I am still on oral meds but latly I have been trying a new herbal from my health food store . It is doing as well as the $500.00 a month meds and is only $24.00 .
I have started walking more and paying attention more on portion size.And drinking more water(if thats possible ) I try to drink a 1/2 gallion of it a day. Since April I have lost 25 lb. and sugar levels seem to be leveling off.
Momm and I have always thought it was an individal disease. What works for some doesn't work for others. I did do Atkins for a while last summer but due to the meds I was on it was taking too long for me . So I changed my plan , doc says if I lose 40 more pounds I may not need meds. so really trying to get them off.
The diabetic assn. has a web site which has tons of recipes.
Glad for this thread.

Denyce
06-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Ok. I too stand in the grocery store at times and just want to scream. I have found out several things. A carb is NOT a carb but that you can eat carbs and even simple sugars such as candy just in REALLY small amounts.

You don't have to totally cut out bread just look for breads that are high in fiber. Fiber is a big componant of Diabetes. The more fiber the better. Carbs that have larger amounts of fiber affect your blood sugar levels less.

I have also found that one of the very big factors is actually portion size. It isn't so much what you eat as HOW MUCH you eat. That seems to affect my blood sugar more and for longer than a bite of chocolate will do.

There are tons of new and wonderful sugar free candies out there and they have their own failsafe when trying to lose weight. They are not low calorie just low in the types of sugars that change your blood sugar. But over consumption does create intestinal discomfort. :o

There is also a thing called the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load. It is confusing but it is a helpful guide as to what you can eat and what not. A lower GI number is better. Under 55 is ideal but the way you prepare the foods also can change the number. So a sweet potato is much better for you than a white potato. It has more fiber too. Cantalope and Watermelon are not the best fruits to eat. Better fruits are berries, cherries, grapes, oranges and even a banana as long as it isn't REALLY ripe. You want a slightly greener banana or one that is JUST ripe. All these fruits have more fiber and less sugar. Watermelon has a GI number of 70 something. But it isn't horrible in small quantities because it has so much water that the amount of the sugar you get is reduced.

And yes...eat protien. Cheese, nuts, legumes, lean meats etc are all good. But if you are on weight control you have to be careful of the amount of fats so cheese must be eaten more carefully.

The big things to watch for when purchasing prepared foods are Corn Syrup, High Fructose and sodiums. You really want to pay attention to sodium amounts and try to eat lower sodium. Blood sugars and high blood pressure can go hand in hand.

So.....*L*....read read read your labels. Be careful of things that advertise as low fat and healthy because they can be high in sugars. Increase the amount of fiber in your diet and decrease your portions. And they say that exercise is great, I am just lousy at getting my chubby rear end up and moving. Especially when it is hot and humid.

Denyce

Denyce
06-23-2004, 07:32 AM
Oh and Splenda is your friend!:D :D :D It can just make you a little gassy if not careful:o :o

And watch on those flavored waters what is added to make them sweeter. Just plain water is best. Even better than diet sodas....something about the sweetner in them still triggering a need for sugar...*shrug* I would just make the ratio of what you drink to be a higher portion of plain water than anything else.

Denyce

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Sorry, Kim, I can't offer any advice except to read the labels. I'm not diabetic, but my dad is so I've tried to start cutting out refined sugars (high fructose corn syrup as an example) now so if I ever do get it, it's not such a shock to my system to cut out my all time favorite drink - Coke!

Anyway, the thing I wanted to add is - I may be wrong and be thinking of another product, but I think it was Fruit 2-0 that I was looking at. I thought it would be a great switch for me from Coke. The only thing is, it has caffeine, which I'm also trying to cut out. I, too, have Gerd and I really believe the Coke-a-day is what was causing it. Also, I read, and my doctor confirmed, that Coke/Pepsi/similar product has some sort of acid in it that decreases bone density. So absolute number one thing to cut out? Coke or similar caramel colored caffeinated carbonated drinks! I don't smoke I don't drink much I don't have any real vices except my 32 oz Coke-a-day, and now I have to give that up. :(

However, back to the Fruit 2-0, as I was in the aisle at the grocery store, having rejected the Fruit 2-0 because of the caffeine and wondering now what am I going to drink, I came across some carbonated flavored waters with no caffeine. The one I buy now is the local store's brand because the national brand had sodium. The store's brand has nothing, no calories, no carbs, no sodium no nothing! Just exactly what is it that I'm drinking? :confused:

Like Denyce says, the absolute best thing to drink is water, and a lot of it. Unfortunately for me, water just doesn't cut it. Hopefully some day it will, but in the meantime the waters I mentioned above are my substitute.

Also, don't forget excercise! A lot of diseases (high blood presure, diabetes, etc) can be somewhat controlled by regular exercise. So the old saying of eat right and exercise regularly is more true than ever these days.

One last thing. Look for diabetic recipes online. I found some and I wasn't even looking for them so I know they're out there and relatively easy to find.

Good luck, Kim, and take care of yourself! :)

aly
06-23-2004, 11:55 AM
I've had Type 1 diabetes for over 4 years now, with many ups and downs along the way. I am insulin dependant and working with my doctor right now to get a pump. I was really really bad about checking my blood, but I had some health scares a few weeks ago that really reminded me how important it is. Now that I'm checking my blood 4-5 times a day, its a lot easier to stay in control and know what to do instead of just guessing.

I have some wonderful recipes. My mother has been so supportive for me and makes me the best diabetic things. I will get in touch with her and have her give me some to share.

The diabetic aisle in the grocery store has sone good snacks. The Fifty 50 brand is pretty good. Also, nuts are low in carbs and healthy to snack on. I have a constant supply of nuts around because I LOVE to snack and they never mess up my blood sugar.

For the past couple years, I lived off of diet drinks. I drank SO much a day, it was almost disgusting. I became addicted to caffeine and it got pretty ugly. A month ago, I quit cold turkey and I feel a lot better now. My head is clear and I'm not nearly as moody. And most importantly, I FEEL healthier.

I never eat any sugars or white flours. I love those things too much, so its easier for me to just cut it out completely instead of allowing myself to have it once in awhile. After I completely cut it out, I stopped craving it. If I had a little once in awhile, I'd start craving it way too much. I know everyone is difference, but completely cutting it out worked best for me.

The main key I have found is ROUTINE. It is very hard to get your sugars under control after they've been high so long. I used to think it was nearly impossible! But I finally learned that when I keep on a semi-normal schedule, it makes it 10 times easier. I try to eat the same servings of carbs around the same time of day. Its been really hard with my crazy college life and shelter work, but I am really concentrating on doing it now, and my blood is thanking me for it!

I drink Friut 2-O, sometimes I also drink Propel (it does have carbs, but not too many), and there is a wonderful brand of juices that have 0 carbs and 0 calories and taste GREAT. I can't remember the brand name right now, but I'll check next time I'm at the store. They have peach, cranberry, lemonade, cherry, and lots of other good ones! I use these to make smoothies in the blender. Juice, ice, a little whipped cream or cool whip, and some low carb yogurt (and sometimes some fresh fruit). It is a WONDERFUL treat that I think you all should try. The smoothies really help me keep satisfied and eat less. The yogurt (and fruit if you add it) is the only thing that really has the carbs, and you can spread one container of yogurt for many smoothies.

We're lucky that all these low carb diets became pupular, because now there are so many low carb options at the stores!

Cary's has really good low carb syrup. My mom makes me whole wheat french toast with some cinnamon on it. Cinnamon is really good for you and somehow helps keep your sugar down.

Also, Stewart's has some REALLY good diet orange creme soda that is caffeine free.

I will be back later with more recipes!

DJFyrewolf36
06-23-2004, 01:27 PM
My mom is a Diabetic and has high blood pressure so she has to be EXTRA careful with her diet. She has found a whole lot of sugar free treats though, way more than when she was diagnosed 12 years ago. That Splenda stuff is pretty tasty and so far as I can tell, doesn't mess with your blood sugar count too much *always best not to overdo it though, hint hint mom lol* I learned a trick having to live with a relatively sugar free diet growing up *I stopped eating sugary things to be suportive to my mom, Im glad I did, Im much healthier! Still gotta get off the sodas though...* I started to eat more fresh fruits. Every time I wanted candy or something I grabbed some fruit instead. You would be amazed at how satisfied you feel!! And it isn't unhealthy really unless you're like me and eat too much. :o

When mom went on a low carb diet she lost wieght *I think she is up to 25 lbs now* and has said her blood sugar levels have stabilized and so has her blood pressure. Instead of getting rid of all carbs, she decided to get rid of the processed ones *things made with white flour and such* and stick to the more natural varieties found in whole grain foods. A little more expensive but a whole lot nicer to your body from what I can tell.

I have to watch my diet carefully. Im hypoglycemic and if I don't spread my meals out through the day I get into some sirious trouble. Eating a candy bar or something is REALLY bad for me because my sugar spikes up really fast and then I have to prepare for a real ugly crash later. :( So I tend to still stay away from the sugary stuff even now that Im not living with mom.

Karen
06-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Sorry, Kim, I can't offer any advice except to read the labels. I'm not diabetic, but my dad is so I've tried to start cutting out refined sugars (high fructose corn syrup as an example) now so if I ever do get it, it's not such a shock to my system to cut out my all time favorite drink - Coke!

Anyway, the thing I wanted to add is - I may be wrong and be thinking of another product, but I think it was Fruit 2-0 that I was looking at. I thought it would be a great switch for me from Coke. The only thing is, it has caffeine, which I'm also trying to cut out. I, too, have Gerd and I really believe the Coke-a-day is what was causing it. Also, I read, and my doctor confirmed, that Coke/Pepsi/similar product has some sort of acid in it that decreases bone density. So absolute number one thing to cut out? Coke or similar caramel colored caffeinated carbonated drinks! I don't smoke I don't drink much I don't have any real vices except my 32 oz Coke-a-day, and now I have to give that up. :(

However, back to the Fruit 2-0, as I was in the aisle at the grocery store, having rejected the Fruit 2-0 because of the caffeine and wondering [b]now what am I going to drink, I came across some carbonated flavored waters with no caffeine. The one I buy now is the local store's brand because the national brand had sodium. The store's brand has nothing, no calories, no carbs, no sodium no nothing! Just exactly what is it that I'm drinking? :confused:

Most Fruit 2-O's don't have caffienne, just the "blended for energy" ones. The plain flavors without "extra goodies" have no caffeine.