PDA

View Full Version : Pet Talk Server update

Karen
06-21-2004, 10:17 PM
We are looking into the problems people have been having on Pet Talk. We know the server has been running slowly, and that people have had problems with delayed notification for messages and threads. Then today, people posted about missing threads. I know it's very scary not having Pet Talk up, and it's very sad to loose even one precious post. It's also hard not knowing if you have lost a post or not, or being afraid of losing a post.

This evening Paul had to shut down the server to check the Pet Talk databse, which is why you may have seen the "board down" message. He has shut off the "Search" feature for perhaps tonight and tomorrow so he can see how the system is running, and will continue to research and examine the database.

We are considering upgrading the Pet Talk software, which should be faster and includes new features that make it easier to use, but we know it is different and may take people a while to adjust.

We are also considering getting a larger server on which to run Pet Talk. Please be patient with us as we examine all our options, and try to keep improving Pet Talk so it can continue to be the wonderful place you have all helped it become!

Kfamr
06-21-2004, 10:27 PM
I ALMOST DIED.

Thank you Karen and Paul for everything!!!

Dogz
06-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Yay! I missed PT so much! :D

Thanks Karen and Paul. I hope everything gets sorted out SOON! :)

G.P.girl
06-21-2004, 10:33 PM
thanks you guys! don't worry about us, we can deal without for a little while if it'll make PT better :D

kimlovescats
06-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Thank you for updating .... we would all be SO LOST without "our" PET TALK!!!:D

countrycowgirl
06-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I ALMOST DIED.
me too!!

thanks Karen and Paul

Cookiebaker
06-21-2004, 10:42 PM
Many thanks for your on-going dedication to provide such a wonderful site for us to enjoy. You guys are the best!!

dukedogsmom
06-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Ha ha Kay! I haven't gone to bed like I was supposed to. Karen and Paul, thanks for working on this! And, removing all those "members" that haven't even posted might help? I wonder why so many join and then never say a word.

Karen
06-21-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Ha ha Kay! I haven't gone to bed like I was supposed to. Karen and Paul, thanks for working on this! And, removing all those "members" that haven't even posted might help? I wonder why so many join and then never say a word.

Sometime this week, we will remove the members that joined a while ago but never posted. This is something we do periodically (once a year or so), and it is a good idea, but it won't help with the problems we are researching right now, they are two separate issues.

Glad no one actually perished! :)

Miss Meow
06-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Wow, that was scary :eek:

I went arghhhh, I don't have anyone's e-mail addresses!

slick
06-21-2004, 11:15 PM
I work in the IT dept and I understand that these things are necessary sometimes.

Thank you for all you do for making Pet Talk my sanctuary!! :)

Amber
06-21-2004, 11:45 PM
I pretty much died when I saw PT was down. :p

I hope things get better!

trayi52
06-21-2004, 11:50 PM
I think it is already better, the e-mail notifications I notice has already improved.

Thank you Karen and Paul for Pet Talk, there is no other place like it! And I mean that!

Willie:D

Kfamr
06-22-2004, 12:17 AM
Yay! i'm recieving PM pop-ups now!:D

gini
06-22-2004, 12:23 AM
We can certainly be patient...........however, I do feel like a kid waiting for ice cream and I was just told the freezer died:D :D

sirrahbed
06-22-2004, 12:24 AM
:D Thanks Karen and Paul. I realized how bad I have it! Well, how GOOD I have it actually. I saw the server down :eek: ..looked at my husband and was like..omegosh...where will I be without my friends on PetTalk??? Non PT folks would NEVER understand!:rolleyes:

popcornbird
06-22-2004, 01:11 AM
Thanks for looking into the problem, Karen and Paul! It was so hard without PT for that short period of time. I don't know how I'd live without PT! :p

LoudLou
06-22-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by gini
We can certainly be patient...........however, I do feel like a kid waiting for ice cream and I was just told the freezer died:D :D

I'm with Gini... My ice cream has fallen on the floor....:(

Karen, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.... And Mr. Paul, You SO Rock!:D

Pam
06-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
Many thanks for your on-going dedication to provide such a wonderful site for us to enjoy. You guys are the best!!

My thoughts exactly Anna! ;)

This brings to mind the old phrase "you don't know what you've got until you lose it." Whew! It's good to have PT back and we will be patient. ;)

catnapper
06-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Well, I for one actually went to bed EARLY last night as a direct result of not having my nightly fix of PT! :D :D

I'm so thankfuyl that PT exists and will adjust to whatever upgrades/changes you might make! I love this place, and will love it even more!

anna_66
06-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself:D

Randi
06-22-2004, 09:19 AM
I agree a 100%! And we will be patient! ;)

Kona & Oreo's mom
06-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Thank you, Karen and Paul, for all of your hard work on PT.

DJFyrewolf36
06-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Thanx Karen and Paul for taking the time to get this thing running right! I was scared that this thing would end up like so many other forums...dead and overloaded. I've gotten the old heve ho from a lot of forums because of "server issues" that the admins didn't have the time or *more commonly* the money to fix.

Thank you Karen and Paul for keeping this site wonderful!

Freckles
06-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Karen
We are considering upgrading the Pet Talk software, which should be faster and includes new features that make it easier to use, but we know it is different and may take people a while to adjust.
Karen and Paul, many thanks for your efforts to keep this the perfect site!
Last upgrade was January, 2002 and I remember the adjustment period. However, the new features at that time made it worthwhile.

I, for one, would welcome the upgrade! :)

bluekat
06-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Lucky for me I wasn't on when PT was down:p Or else I would've almost died too lol.

Thank you so much Karen and Paul for updating and trying to improve PT. It has been quite slow for me too, and sometimes it says that I'm not signed in. Hope everything gets fixed soon!:D

Thanks again for all your hard work! We really appreciate it:D

flamepony12
06-22-2004, 11:10 AM
keep checking... and checking.... must keep checking...

flamepony12
06-22-2004, 11:11 AM
I ALMOST DIED. Love it. ME TOO!

flamepony12
06-22-2004, 11:11 AM
I ALMOST DIED.

I almost died too!

moosmom
06-22-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm glad I was too pooped to cruise PT or I WOULD'VE gone into a panick attack!!!

As always, you guys are doing a super job. We love you Paul and Karen!!

cali
06-22-2004, 11:36 AM
lol I did not even know PT was down, I had my history test today I am failing the class so I was studying like crazy last night and this morning lol (I have to get at LEAST an 80% to pass) but good to know! lol

luckies4me
06-22-2004, 11:59 AM
I was at work til 12 last night so I missed it. I too was having problems with email notifications, and when I did get them it was ones I had already read on the forum that had been posted hours ago. Thanks for all that you two do, and I will be looking forward to the update, or did it already happen? :confused:

BitsyNaceyDog
06-22-2004, 12:13 PM
We had a terrible storm last night and my power was out, so I wasn't able to get on anyway. Thank you both so much, Paul and Karen, for all that you do, you are very much appreciated. You're the best, we all love you.

davidpizzica
06-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
I'm glad I was too pooped to cruise PT or I WOULD'VE gone into a panick attack!!!

As always, you guys are doing a super job. We love you Paul and Karen!! Donna, how could I talk to you without PT? Keep up the good work, Karen and Paul!!

luckies4me
06-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Well I haven't had an email notification all day and there have been several replies to my threads......

Karen
06-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Paul is still working on things, the upgrade has not yet happened. Cass, make sure you are still subscribed to those threads, just in case.

krazyaboutkatz
06-22-2004, 03:28 PM
I wasn't even aware that PT had been down.

I'm glad that you're working on upgrading PT because I've been having some problems lately. I'll sit back and wait patiently while you decide what you need to upgrade. I'm looking forward to it and wouldn't know what to do without my Pet Talk.:)

RedHedd
06-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Keep up the terrific work, Karen & Paul. I didn't know it was down last night as I was too pooped to Pet Talk - a VERY stressful day at the orifice (that hole away from home) :D Glad PT is back up and running

KYS
06-22-2004, 06:15 PM
]Originally posted by Kfamr:
I ALMOST DIED.>>>>>>>>>>>>

LOL! I almost died laughing at you post. :)
Your to funny, but it is true, I went through
Pet Talk withdrawls.

ditto for me too,

luckies4me
06-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Paul is still working on things, the upgrade has not yet happened. Cass, make sure you are still subscribed to those threads, just in case.

Yes I am, they were ones I just created. :confused:

I am looking forward to the update though. :)

trayi52
06-23-2004, 12:51 AM
Why are we all so addicted to this place?! I went through withdrawls too! I keep wondering what the heck I done on the internet, before I joined Pet Talk.

Does anybody here know what they used to do??? I just can't remember!

Karen, Paul, I love this place, and I don't know what I would do without it. You have made it such a great place to meet new friends and all kinds of wonderful pets. I have learned so much from PT. Thank you again for Pet Talk!!

I have been to other boards, but just don't feel comfortable at any other board. I have so many good and dear friends here, what the heck would I do without Pet Talk!? (cry myself to sleep everynight!)

Signed an addicted Pet Talker!!

Willie(the addicted):D

Kfamr
06-23-2004, 12:58 AM
Really, I kept refreshing the PT page every few minutes..... then finally, I think I was doing something else and Amy IM'ed me saying PT was back up.

trayi52
06-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Well, really has anybody figured out what they did before Pet Talk???

I still can't remember! I have honest to god tried to remember. I had to have had something to do, or why else would I have the internet!?

Willie:D

Freckles
06-23-2004, 08:49 AM
I'm glad search is back! :)

After the site was back up, I automatically clicked on "View new Posts" which is my favorite way to get the most recent posts.
I know, just look for the yellow icon - I used it for the duration.
:( Habits are hard to break.

gini
06-23-2004, 09:04 AM
When my computer died and I had to wait to get the new one, I had several weeks without a computer. At first, I was at a total loss - what to do with myself in the morning?

What really touched me is that my friends on Pet Talk were really worried about me - had anything happened to me - where did I go?

Pet Talk is beyond special in my life - it is now an essential part of my life - especially when I find myself thinking about people on this board and their pets during the day.

Pet Talk is family!

Randi
06-23-2004, 12:43 PM
..... but, I take it you haven't finished upgrading. Please let us know when everything should be working! :)

I didn't get a pop-up saying I had a PM, and the reply button to that PM is missing.

Btw, John still doesn't have a "last post" icon on the Forum page (you know the one to the far right), or a reply button. It has been like this for a long time though.

EssTer
06-23-2004, 05:08 PM
LOL.. I even didnt notice PT was down, because I wasnt here for some time!I hope all will be OK!I'd be SOO sad to loose you all!

gini
06-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Today, it took 28 hours for a subscribed thread to be forwarded to me. However, all of my other emails are coming through immediately.

Karen
06-24-2004, 03:13 PM
We have not switched the server over. There is a lot of work to be done, which Paul has been doing, before we can make that switch. Besides turning off "search" - which disables "today's active topics," and which people complained about, there's not much that can be done until the switch.

Randi
06-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks Karen, we'll be patient. :)

gini
06-24-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks, Karen.

I will be patient too..........after all, I am not really missing anything......I am just very spoiled.

Karen
06-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Okay - it was down for a little while again and is back up for now. It's slow right now, but everyone jumped right back on!

Cinder & Smoke
06-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Hmmmmmm...

Mr Paul musta been doin an Oil Change onna Pet Talk Engine! ;)

GLAD he got 'er Started Up again!

:D

Kfamr
06-24-2004, 07:02 PM
I died again.

I had just gotten up from a nap.... and checked PT.. and it was dead!

BitsyNaceyDog
06-24-2004, 08:32 PM
It is hard to be without pet talk for even a short while. However, I think I can speak for all of us when I say thank you both so much for all your hard work and dedication to this site. We will sit back and be patient, knowing that good things will be coming before long.

anna_66
06-24-2004, 08:57 PM
Phew *wipes brow*

I thought my computer was messing up again:p

anna_66
06-24-2004, 08:57 PM
Phew *wipes brow*

I thought my computer was messing up again:p

gini
06-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Wow, I don't know how you did it!

I think under two to three minutes to have notification of a reply to a subscribed thread is pretty darned terrific.

Karen and Paul - thank you.

Now Karen (and Paul too) go over to Thursdays and I will buy you the largest hot fudged sundae that we have. (with a side of water).

lynnestankard
06-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Welcome Back!!

I'd just written the bestest reply ever - in the history of the world - and guess what - no one saw it!!!! ;) :p :D :D

All the work is much appreciated Paul and Karen - Thanks.

Lynne

lbaker
06-25-2004, 06:13 PM
But I just got a private p.m. from the Z..(someone) and it said my mailbox was FULL.. I only have some messages and pix from Souraya about my special guy Drake! Only 6 saved messages. Is that Full?? I'm confuzzeled again. But maybe that's cuz I don't "get it" about these things. :(

Karen
06-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Check your "sent items" box, Laurie! That's where lotsa messages lurk forgotten ...

lynnestankard
06-29-2004, 04:31 AM
Was there something wrong yesterday - Monday 28th - Karen?

I could only get the Cat of the Day from Saturday 26th :eek: :eek:

Lynne

Nomilynn
06-30-2004, 01:06 AM
The only problem I've had with PT lately is it is constantly signing me out. I click on private messages, and it says I'm not signed in. Then I re-sign in and go to send a message, it says I'm not signed in. I try to reply to a thread, same thing. Sometimes, I can't even go back to the home page without being signed out. This only seems to happen when PT is "busy" like in the middle of the day. I don't automatically sign in, but I was always able to navigate the site without any problems as long as I didn't close it or I wasn't so inactive it timed out.

Karen
06-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
Was there something wrong yesterday - Monday 28th - Karen?

I could only get the Cat of the Day from Saturday 26th :eek: :eek:

Lynne

No, it was fine. The date on the homepage was wrong for a day - check "previous cats" - maybe that was the problem?

lbaker
06-30-2004, 10:03 AM
I still only have 6 messages from Souraya (my Drake pictures) in my private mailbox and yet yesterday I got another "your mailbox is full" message. I'm sooo computer illiterate :(

carole
06-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Yes I was in mourning as well, it was like only such a short time it was closed, but i missed it, but thanks Karen and Paul for checking things out, and some of the options you mentioned sound exciting, looking forward to your updates regarding this matter, cheers.:)

catmandu
07-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Its like when they pave a road, you are mad at first,then driving becomes that much easier!

lbaker
07-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Phred walked me through the full mailbox problem I was having and now PT seems better than ever :cool: Thanks Karen & Paul and thanks BUNCHES Phred :D

Kfamr
07-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Was PT just down for like a second??

I went to change forums and then it came up with some message.

I actually thought I was going to get something done today!

Karen
07-03-2004, 08:47 AM
Pet Talk has been moved to the new server, so people will have to log in - as the cookies stayed with the old server! If anyone doesn't know their password, email Paul - [email protected] - and he can send it to you.

slick
07-03-2004, 10:50 AM
I find Pet Talk to be faster since moving to the new server. Thanks Karen and Paul. You do good work. :)

MariaM
07-03-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm finding it faster too! Thanks Karen and Paul! :)

Barbara
07-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Wow- that's the fastest PT I ever had:D Thanks Karen and Paul:D :D :D

krazyaboutkatz
07-03-2004, 07:51 PM
I agree. I hope it stays this way.:D

Lillycat
07-04-2004, 11:13 PM
thanks karen and paul........and happy 4th of july!!!

gini
07-05-2004, 12:52 PM
I am getting a whiplash :D because the site is so fast!

Karen, I have a question. I went into the main forum of Pet Talk and it listed that 41 people were on Pet Talk.

However, when you go to Who's Online.......it only listed a total of 28 members and guests. I tried refreshing each to see if they then matched up - but they don't.

This is a question for when you have absolutely nothing else to do!

(like that ever happens).

Freckles
07-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Gini, at the top, go to user cp, then edit options. See the very first choice? Yours is checked no.:)

gini
07-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Freckles
Gini, at the top, go to user cp, then edit options. See the very first choice? Yours is checked no.:)

Freckles, thanks, I checked "no" because I didn't want to be "invisible".

However, if I did check yes, does that mean I wouldn't show up anywhere - not even as a guest?

That of course, would account for there being more members online than shows.

I hardly ever go into this area - so I am pretending to be "blonde" for a minute or two:D

Freckles
07-05-2004, 04:12 PM
" I went into the main forum of Pet Talk and it listed that 41 people were on Pet Talk.
However it only listed a total of 28 members and guests."

41 members
- 28 names
=13 invisible members
Clear?:D

gini
07-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Got it!

Why would I want to be invisible on Pet Talk?

However, there are other places in life that it sure would be fun to be a little invisible once in a while.:D :D

lizzielou742
07-08-2004, 11:52 AM
I have never had any problems with PT, but now it's running faster than ever!! Rock on y'all :D

Rachel
08-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Got it!

Why would I want to be invisible on Pet Talk?

My thinking is when I occasionally check in during working hours (really a rare occurance) I don't want people to think I'm flaking off. Actually I'm revealing my own judgemental self here, aren't I.

gini
08-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Rachel, we just think you are on your coffee break, that's all!;) ;) :D

Logan
08-26-2004, 09:09 AM
I have a question, Karen or Paul. I'm finding that Pet Talk isn't "keeping up" and I'm having to hit refresh a lot. For example, when I delete a PM, many times, it is back on the list. The same thing happens on posts too. Once I hit refresh, it will be there. But I've never had this happen before. Is it me? Or is it something going on with the site?

micki76
08-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Logan
I have a question, Karen or Paul. I'm finding that Pet Talk isn't "keeping up" and I'm having to hit refresh a lot. For example, when I delete a PM, many times, it is back on the list. The same thing happens on posts too. Once I hit refresh, it will be there. But I've never had this happen before. Is it me? Or is it something going on with the site?

Logan, I noticed this same thing happening to me since maybe, day before yesterday. This only happens with PT, no other site or message boards.

Also the 'New Post' indicators aren't changing for me anymore. Usually after someone posts and I return to the main page, their name appears as the last poster and the indicator is yellow. Now I have to refresh to see if a new post was made in a category, otherwise it won't change no matter how much I surf through PT.

Kfamr
08-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Logan, I noticed the same exact thing and I had kept thinking it was my computer!:p

Toller 42
08-26-2004, 04:01 PM
That's been happening to me also.

Logan
08-27-2004, 12:09 PM
The same thing is still happening, especially when I do an "edit" or anything with the PM section.

Karen
08-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Each of you tell me:

A. What operating system you use ( example: Windows XP)

B. What browser you use, including the version number ( example:Internet Explorer verion 6.2)

C. What kind of Internet connection you have

D. When (time of day) this happens

Logan
08-27-2004, 12:34 PM
A What operating system you use ( example: Windows XP) - we are on Windows XP

B. What browser you use, including the version number ( example:Internet Explorer verion 6.2) - I just checked and mine is Internet Explorer version 6.0. What I can't tell you is whether the laptop I use for work has the same problem, but I will test it and see.

C. What kind of Internet connection you have-cable modem

D. When (time of day) this happens-no specific time, Karen. Anytime, actually

This has only been happening the last week or so. Sorry I can't be more specific about that. But it has never happened before on this same computer, where nothing has changed.

Hope this helps.

Logan

Nomilynn
08-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Logan
A What operating system you use ( example: Windows XP) - we are on Windows XP

B. What browser you use, including the version number ( example:Internet Explorer verion 6.2) - I just checked and mine is Internet Explorer version 6.0. What I can't tell you is whether the laptop I use for work has the same problem, but I will test it and see.

C. What kind of Internet connection you have-cable modem

D. When (time of day) this happens-no specific time, Karen. Anytime, actually

This has only been happening the last week or so. Sorry I can't be more specific about that. But it has never happened before on this same computer, where nothing has changed.

Hope this helps.

Logan

This is also happening to me. I have the same answers as Logan, except I don't know what internet explorer I have and I don't know how to check. Basically, PT times out and it constantly logs me out, especially in the PM system. I also have to hit refresh constantly because only a partial thread will show up. Lately, one specific signature is showing up either as it's own page or it takes the place of a smiley throughout a thread. I thought it was my comp too, as it's a dinoaur :p

slick
08-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Sorry, but I'm not finding ANY problems with Pet Talk. It's still as robust as it should be.:)
I'm running Windows 2000, SP4 and the latest patches, IE 6 with the latest patches, and I have High-Speed Internet through my cable company.

So far, I've experienced NO problems at all.

gini
08-30-2004, 01:04 AM
I have to agree, I have Windows XP........Internet Explorer and a cable modem.

Sometimes, when I delete a p/m, it will sit there for a while, but eventually it shows it has been deleted.

Thank goodness, otherwise, I have no problems on Pet Talk.

Toller 42
08-30-2004, 01:13 AM
I'm not having any problems anymore:D It got back to normal on friday morning, Yay!

wabbitwuver
08-30-2004, 03:27 PM
I had an account called "musiske" and one called "spicecadburyhersheybasil" I think and I never use them anymore. I forgot the password to one and the other is just plain old.