PDA

View Full Version : knots

lulu936
08-11-2001, 09:26 AM
My cat, Pepino, weighs almost 20 lbs. He'll be 9 years old this Oct. He has lots &lots of hair. My problem is I have been lax in brushing him every day and now he is loaded with knots that I cannot untangle. The knots are even on his tail. I have tried every kind of brush & comb available. He never liked to be brushed & now he hates it.
Also, he seems "sad" lately, he's not his usual self. Does anyone know if this could be due to the knots? (I hope that wasn't a stupid question.)
I was thinking about taking him to a groomer.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
:confused: :confused:

Karen
08-11-2001, 11:54 AM
I would take him to a groomer right away. They may need to give him a haircut if the knots are too bad, but it'll grow back, and you can make grooming a special time for you and Pepino.

The knots and tangles are probably very uncomfortable for him, so that could be why he's not feeling great. Take him to a groomer, and then you and Pepino can start again on keeping him beautiful and more comfortable!

Pam
08-11-2001, 12:22 PM
My daughter has a ragdoll cat who sleeps on his back and he had developed some mats on his back and has never enjoyed being brushed. My daughter called her vet, which happens to be a "cat only" vet, and asked to have him shaved. They had to tranquilize him but the result was worth it. Here is Gabe right after his summer haircut. :) I know he is much more comfortable. The other day I was in PetsMart and they were shaving a cat in the grooming area. I was surprised because this kitty had not been tranquilized and seemed to enjoy it! :D Mine certainly wouldn't have!

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/007/LA/Kx/qd/Nh29416.jpg

4 feline house
08-11-2001, 12:40 PM
Matting can be a serious problem. Moisture can get under the mats, causing the skin to deteriorate and even become infected. At the same time, the mats keep getting tighter and tighter, pulling at the already irritated skin. No wonder poor little Pepino is unhappy! Most silky-haired, Angora type cats will do fine with no brushing. But the woolly-haired, Persian-type cats must be brushed daily to prevent the tangles from happening. And whatever you do, don't bathe him! This may cause more moisture to become trapped, and may irritate any infection that may be developing.

Gina
08-18-2001, 10:28 AM
Hi there!
The opinion here is all correct. Another serious reason for either taking puss to a vet or a groomer is that "Blowfly" just love to lay their eggs in the cats "mat" and the larva then feed off puss, giving your critter a horrible infection :eek:. Using a "Frontline Spray" helps in prevention after mats are gone and coat is clean.
I have two long hairs, Rufus and Harry, and they are brushed everyday. I'm terrified of them getting blowfly as I saw it and it's affects once while working in an animal shelter.... many Moon ago!

I wish you the best of luck, and wait for your update. :)

Rufus and Harrys' thoughts are with you :D !>^..^< !