PDA

View Full Version : Should a convicted criminal represent our country at olympic games......

carole
06-21-2004, 07:20 PM
This is the strong debate going on here in NZ at the moment, I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

A NZ boxer is to represent our country at the Olympics(that is if he gets the go ahead, and it is looking that way).

Now for his crimes, he was convicted of killing his young daughter(manslaughter)and spent 4 years in jail for it(not enough in MO) he has connections to gangs, and has since had other convictions, one including abusing a women, Our Women's refugee is up in arms over this.

He now claims he has moved on with his life, lucky him, has cut his gang connections, and is a better person, keep in mind the killing of his child was in 1994, and the other convictions since.

Are you of the opinion , that he has done his time, and should be allowed to move on and maybe even become a role model to others in with gangs? or do you think his crime is too bad , for him to be allowed such a privilige.

I as a NZ'er would certainly NOT be proud of this man if he won a medal, or that he is indeed representing our country AT ALL.!!

Note the profession he chose, boxing, mind you he obviously has a anger problem, maybe this is a good way of chaneling it. who Knows.

Most NZ'er's are opposed to him going (by the results of polls) and feel if the media get a hold of this we will be in disgrace, maybe I should not even be mentioning it here, but I am sure it will get out whatever.

Your opinions please most welcome.

kimlovescats
06-21-2004, 10:36 PM
NO WAY should he be allowed to compete! He should still be in prison!!!:mad:

Karen
06-21-2004, 10:43 PM
Absolutely NOT.

Criminal behavior should not be rewarded with the ability to compete in an "amateur's" event!

dukedogsmom
06-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Once scum, always scum. I can't believe they are even considering this! GRRRRRRR

ramanth
06-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Only 4 years!?!?!? :mad: :mad: :mad:

No way should he be allowed to compete. He should still be in jail!

moosmom
06-22-2004, 11:36 AM
:mad: Absolutely NOT!!! :mad: :mad:

RICHARD
06-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Carole,
Interesting story.

Do you have his name or a link??

Thanks!

catnapper
06-22-2004, 03:25 PM
What's the question? Its obviously a NO - so there should be no debate. The only ones who probably thnk he should are the ones who want to win at all costs. Thats sad that they put winning before a little girl's life.

I'll ask my husband, who's an avid sports guy... life begins and ends with sports... I'd be interested to hear what he has to say!

carole
06-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Well folks it looks like he is still going, I am APALLED that my country is so desperate to win a medal , that they would consider this, their attitude is and it seems alot of NZer's are changing their minds, is he has done his time and cannot be punished forever, he has turned his life around and can be a role model to other gang members.

He was on the TV crying saying he was sorry for what he had done, he had no family support( I wonder why? hmm):rolleyes: and no financial support , if he does not go , he will have nothing, all the people who believe he is reformed and even christians are saying he deserves a second chance.

Let me tell you he was convicted of manslaughter in 1995 of his five month old baby daughter, for which he only served four and a half years, like a slap on the hand if you ask me, he then had a further four convictions of assault, one on a woman.,his last conviction was in the year 2000.

They interviewed a former partner of his,(not the babies mother obviously) and she supported him 100 per cent, said he had never been violent with her, and would be very upset if he was prevented from going.

I am ashamed of my country even considering sending this guy, we want our athletes to be someone to look up to and be proud of , what next ahye, sending crims just so we can win a medal, apparently he is a good prospect.

Richard go to my homepage, update story there, it is www.xtramsn.co.nz Pownceby is his name, pic of him there boxing, side view.

RICHARD
06-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the link...

Manslaughter is a different charge than murder.

Because the child was in his custody when it died, and it's obvious that it suffered from multiple injuries (fell in the bathtub??) at that time, I have to say no....As much as I think that sports and private lives should be kept separately in some cases, the four assault charges make it a moot point.

I'm sure that all of us would cringe at being judged at what we have done in our past . For Pownceby there may be an arguement of him having 'payed his dues to society'. But
four convictions ???

ALso there is the other NZ gent with three counts of assault???

The Olympics are filled with stories of people over coming personal demons, tragedies and roadblocks.

That is a bit too much.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Then there is the case of Tammy Crow.

http://www.ktvu.com/olympics/2990909/detail.html

Gets complicated, no?

carole
06-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Fill me in Richard the other NZ gent with 3 assault charges? who is he please, I have not heard about this one, geez why don't we just recruit our olympic competitors from MT EDEN (our prison in Auckland)!!!!!