PDA

View Full Version : New carpet fumes and pets??? Question...

popcornbird
06-21-2004, 01:40 AM
Hi everyone. I have a question, which probably SHOULD be asked in Pet General, but I want more input on this issue, so I'm asking it here.

As some of you know, my parents recently bought a new house, and we'll be moving this Saturday. We're changing the carpet in the house and have an appointment for the carpet installation this Tuesday. That gives us 4 days to air the whole house out before moving in.

I have *heard* that brand new carpets have certain fumes that can be harmful to birds and other small animals. If we get new carpet on Tuesday, and move in on Saturday, do you all think that's enough time to air the fumes out? We can also vacuum the carpet several times before moving in.

The birds will be in the family room, where there is no carpet at all. The family room and kitchen are fully tiled. Carpet will be in the living room, dining room, and throughout the house upstairs. The birds won't be there. We can leave the windows open for 4 days to air the whole house out. There isn't much in the house, so leaving the windows open when we aren't there isn't really an issue. Its pretty much empty.

What do you all think? Not only will we have Popcorn and Muffin, but we'll also be caring for my friend's conure, Kiwi, while my friend's family is gone on vacation, starting tomorrow. We will have him for two weeks. They know we're changing the carpet and actually told us to air the house out before bringing the birds in. They think 4 days will be good enough to air it out. I think 4 days is enough too, but I wanted to get extra input on this. Remember, the birds will NOT be in the carpetted areas. Considering the fact that they won't be in a carpetted area, AND that we'll be able to air out the fumes for 4 days before moving in, do you think it will be safe?

NoahsMommy
06-21-2004, 01:47 AM
I'm sure 4 days will be enough. :)

Do you have one of those air purifiers? That would ensure the air is safe for your feathered babes.

Dogz
06-21-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Do you have one of those air purifiers? That would ensure the air is safe for your feathered babes.

I think that would help. That way, you would know when the air was ready; just to be safe! We don't want anything to happen to your two wonderful birdies!

We should get an air purifier. My mom says she's sick of the feathers and dandruff. She loves the birds though. :D

popcornbird
06-21-2004, 02:09 AM
Hmmm........nope. We don't have an air purifier. The house has central air conditioning though, and I know air conditioners also filter the air. Would running the AC work? We would definitely buy an air purifier, if neccessary, though. I'm not sure if it would be neccessary, because we have 4 days before moving in after the carpet installation, but if its important, I will have my parents buy one. I just want my birdies, and my friend's birdie to be safe.

Dogz
06-21-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Hmmm........nope. We don't have an air purifier. The house has central air conditioning though, and I know air conditioners also filter the air. Would running the AC work? We would definitely buy an air purifier, if neccessary, though. I'm not sure if it would be neccessary, because we have 4 days before moving in after the carpet installation, but if its important, I will have my parents buy one. I just want my birdies, and my friend's birdie to be safe.

Running the AC is a really good idea. That and keeping the windows open will help. Basically keeping the air flowing. Let us know what works for you.

sirrahbed
06-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Poppy - how about fresh air (open windows) for the installation days and then running the A/C?? That should be plenty of time. We had new carpet installed this spring and I DID have a migraine on the first and 2nd day as they were installing it. (My migraines are a very good indicator of fumes!!) After that I no longer noticed anything so I feel sure the fumes were gone by then. It was worst as they were unrolling it, etc. We also vacuumed several times each day.

I think you are being very good and careful to think ahead like this, but do not think it will be a problem at all after several days. If you still feel worried. you might want to call the manufacturer of the carpet - see if there is a tollfree number. But I really think you are in the clear!! Take care and good for you - looking out for your babies!!
:)

popcornbird
06-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Poppy - how about fresh air (open windows) for the installation days and then running the A/C?? That should be plenty of time. We had new carpet installed this spring and I DID have a migraine on the first and 2nd day as they were installing it. (My migraines are a very good indicator of fumes!!) After that I no longer noticed anything so I feel sure the fumes were gone by then. It was worst as they were unrolling it, etc. We also vacuumed several times each day.

I think you are being very good and careful to think ahead like this, but do not think it will be a problem at all after several days. If you still feel worried. you might want to call the manufacturer of the carpet - see if there is a tollfree number. But I really think you are in the clear!! Take care and good for you - looking out for your babies!!
:)

I think I will do just that. Open the windows for the first two days, and then run the A/C.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think after 4 days, everything should be just fine, but I wanted extra input on the issue, just to be on the safe side.

trayi52
06-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Poppy, sweetie, I know you know more about birds than I do. I just want to say, I think everybody has gave you some good advice. I know you will do what is right for your sweet little birdies.

I sure don't want anything to happen to them, I know how much you love Popcorn and Muffin. I don't want to see you with a broken heart. I know you are going to do everything you can to make sure those babies are safe. I have all the confidense in the world that you will work you tushie off to make sure they are safe!

Moving into a new house sounds nice, I hope you will be happy there! I hope you have a beautiful garden there like you did at the one your in now, I always loved seeing pictures of those beautiful flowers around your home.

When you get moved, take pictures, if you have any pretty flowers.

Sorry, I couldn't help you, just wanted to tell you I think you know the right thing to do!

Willie:)

popcornbird
06-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Poppy, sweetie, I know you know more about birds than I do. I just want to say, I think everybody has gave you some good advice. I know you will do what is right for your sweet little birdies.

I sure don't want anything to happen to them, I know how much you love Popcorn and Muffin. I don't want to see you with a broken heart. I know you are going to do everything you can to make sure those babies are safe. I have all the confidense in the world that you will work you tushie off to make sure they are safe!

Moving into a new house sounds nice, I hope you will be happy there! I hope you have a beautiful garden there like you did at the one your in now, I always loved seeing pictures of those beautiful flowers around your home.

When you get moved, take pictures, if you have any pretty flowers.

Sorry, I couldn't help you, just wanted to tell you I think you know the right thing to do!

Willie:)

Of course I would do everything I can to keep my sweet birdies safe! We do have a nice garden with several fruit trees in it. My mom and I plan on planting LOTS of pretty flowers once we get there, to make the garden more colorful. I can't wait to move in, not only because I love the house, but also because I'm sick and tired of packing! :p Moving is a pain, seriously. Anyone wants to come and help? ;) Maybe you could send Mario over to help us.

trayi52
06-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Poppy, Mario is own his way as we speak! He is bringing his trusty screwdriver with him too! Just don't let him at your windows, he has been trying to pry my windows out with that screwdriver! I actually seen them moving from inside the house!

Just don't let him work on the windows!!

Willie;)