PDA

View Full Version : I dont want my food????

HollandLoppy89
06-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Recently my rabbit has been digging in her food and dumping it out all over her cage. She has a certain kind that has little biscuits in it and she really loves those. She eats fine and when i pour in this feista stuff, She digs in her food and makes a real big mess. Rabbit owners...any advice? She is not sick but I am just curious. She is a Holland Lop and she is 4 months old. Thanks.

Karen
06-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Our rabbit never did like "rabbit food" - the pellets that we got when we bought her at the pet store. Apparently, once home, she decided they weren't food after all! Miss Hoppy now lives on just greens on the list I found on http://rabbit.org to make sure she gets the right vitamins. She gets parsley every day, and then dandelion greens, escarole, turnip greens, peapods, baby bok choy, etc. The other greens vary, and she gets a carrot every day or so (they're fattening for bunnies), and other treats, but pellets were NOT food, according to our little bunny. It's okay, produce is cheap, and everyone at the grocery stores knows me, especially in the produce department! And she is a healthy bunny, seven years old, and still as feisty as ever!

HollandLoppy89
06-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi Karen. I think you are right. I think the only thing she enjoys in her food are the biscuits. But she eats the pellets...She just throws a temper tantrum when i pour this feista stuff in with he pellets and little biscuits. Should i feed he all greens or just not feed her the feista? Thanks so much! Can I see pictures of your little baby?

Daisylover
06-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Karen is right about the necessity of green veggies. Also hay is very important...it is high in fiber and keeps the bunny's gut moving...you do not want the gut to stop moving or even slow down. The House Rabbit Soc recommends giving unlimited hay. Right now she can have alfalfa hay but when your girl hits 1 year old you should switch her to timothy hay. THis is because alfalfa hay is high in calcium which adult rabbits do not need.

Actually I have to say your girl is a smart little thing. The Fiesta mix is not good for rabbits at all. Buns do not need the seeds and artifically colored puffs and other junk in the Fiesta mix...they are just empty calories with no nutritional value and will make the bunny gain weight. Basically pellets with added seeds and puffs are made for humans...you know how we all love our treats...candy, ice cream, desserts... Well that's all Fiesta mix is, dessert for buns. Many, many rabbit vets do not recommend giving rabbits pellets at all. Some will allow pellets but only 2 TBLS per 5 lbs of bunny, which is almost nothing so why bother?

Again I recommend you go to www.rabbit.org and read up on diet. Good luck!