PDA

View Full Version : Just lost my cat.

Beth Anne
06-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Hi, Monday afternoon, my black female cat (Sarah Jane) went out side and did not come back untill Tuesday night . Just before going out side she feed and cleaned her 4 kittens (19 days old). She had never before been away from the kitttens for more than 15 minutes. We look all over the neighberhood Monday and Tuesday, and did not find her. She came in the house Tuesday night at about 11 p.m. she was having difficulty in breathing, we took her to the emergency hospital in Oklahoma City, Tuesday night and stayed their for about 4 hours untill they had her stabilized. The next morning we picked her up and took her to our vetinarians office here in Norman, Ok. (Dr. John Otto), he put her into isolation, did all kinds of test, on the exray there where no broken bones, but on the ultrasound it showed a small tear in the diaphram, and her intestines where up in the diaphram. Dr. Otto tried to repair the damage Thursday morning, but she died as he was putting in the last stitch. He worked on her for about 45 minutes, and just could not save her. When she died she left behind three female kittens, (Samantha, Jane, Cry Baby) and one male kitten (Shadow). Samantha is a light tortishell, Jane is a dark calico, Cry Baby is gray with white going down from her chin to her chest, and Shadow is all gray. It has been over 20 years since I have had to bottle feed any kittens, I am out of practice. On monday when she did not come back, about 1 hour, I just had a feeling some thing was wrong, so I sent my husband to pets mart, to pick up 4 bottles and some formula for the kittens. We believe she was hit by a car monday afternoon and crawled off some where. I had gotten her last year on July 3, 2003 from Oak Grove, Mo. I had stoped at a Wal-mart to buy grocieries, and these little girls where giving away some kittens, they had only one kitten left, and she was so scared that I just picked her up to calm her down, and that was it, she would not go back to the gilrs or their mom. so I ended up having to buy cat food, litter and a littter box. I now had a kitten in my truck. I had been thinking of either getting a kitten or a puppy to have some one to talk too and for some company. Sarah Jane was a black amarican short hair, with a little bit of white on her upper chest. she was a beautiful kitten. She had the litter of kittens on June 26, 2004 between 3 am and 4:30 am in North Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I am going to miss her, so much. I had came home here in Norman, too take 2 weeks off while my truck is in the body shop being fixed. Thanks . Beth Anne

Cinder & Smoke
06-19-2004, 10:19 PM
:(

But WELCOME to Pet Talk!

Hopefully your Caring for Her Kittens will help ease the pain
of loosing their Mom... :(

And a few of the Kitten Raisers here should spot this post and
offer some Kitten Raisin Tips to you.

{{{HUGS}}}

/s/ Phred

aly
06-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Hi Beth Anne,

I am so sorry about the loss of Sarah Jane, it sounds like she was a very special cat :(

How are you doing with the kittens? I raise lots of bottle kittens and puppies so I can answer most questions you may have.

A couple things you may want to do for the kittens now that they don't have their mom:
- Put a large stuffed animal with them
- Play soft classical music or radio talk shows for them to listen to
- Wrap a hot water bottle in a towel so they have something warm to cuddle

Since they're almost 3 weeks old, they are past the critical stage and should be okay. Be sure that each kitten is going potty okay, because you may still need to stimulate them after they eat.

Do you have any specific questions or are you doing okay with them?

trayi52
06-19-2004, 10:45 PM
I am so sorry you lost Sarah Jane, but feeding those little ones will help ease the pain.

I fed Grover formula made for orphaned kittens, she just would not take a bottle, so I used a syringe, and she done quite well with the syringe. When she got a little older, I started mixing her milk with a baby food that is pure meat. She seemed to like turkey and chicken the best. LOL, I thought I was never going to get her to start eating out of a bowl, she kept wanting that syringe, she would jam her face down into the bowl, like she could just suck it out of the bowl.

Good luck with your kittens, I know they will help you with the pain you are feeling from losing Sarah Jane. I really hate that you had to loose her, and those sweet little babies lost their mom. I guess that means you are mom now.

Oh, by the way, Welcome to Pet Talk!!

Willie

aly
06-19-2004, 11:27 PM
When I am switching my babies from the bottle to the bowl, I usually get a very shallow dish and let them walk around in it. They never eat it at first, but they will lick it off their paws. After they've got the taste in their mouth that way, they'll be much more likely to start eating on their own. It is a very messy process! :)

carole
06-20-2004, 01:27 AM
I was sad to read your thread, I am so sorry for your loss,at least she has left behind some beautiful babies to remind you of her, and now you will have your'e hands full with taking care of them, I hope that helps with your loss and that everything goes well with the babies, HUGS to you and welcome to PT , you have come to the right place if you want some advice on raising the little ones , there are some real experts here, I am not one of them, but wish you all the luck.

Cataholic
06-20-2004, 08:01 AM
I am so sorry to hear you lost your baby. May she be safe and healthy at RB watching over you while you care for her kittens.

catmandu
06-20-2004, 11:24 AM
We are sorry about your Poor Cat Sarah Jane , and are Praying that the Little ones will thrive , in your Care! After All , as a Mom Cat, she is keeping an eye on them, and MMMEEEOWING Encouragement To YOU! RIP Sarah Jane , and know that your Kittens are in Good Hands!

AmberLee
06-20-2004, 08:42 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. May your sweet girl be frolicking happily at the Rainbow Bridge, secure in the knowledge that the Meowmy who cared for her is looking over her kittens.

Welcome to Pet Talk. May you find comfort here.

slick
06-20-2004, 09:45 PM
RIP Sarah Jane. :( and best of luck with her kittens. I just know that she is purring down from the RB and watching over you as you care for her kittens.

ramanth
06-21-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

catland
06-21-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm so sorry about Sarah Jane. Her babies are so very lucky to have you to take care of them.

I hope in time that you can tell us of happier times and of her three kitties.

krazyaboutkatz
06-22-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Sarah Jane's passing.:( Her kittens will help you get through this difficult time. They're very lucky to have you. RIP sweet Sarah Jane.

lynnestankard
06-22-2004, 05:22 PM
RIP dear Sarah Jane - play safe at Rainbow Bridge. xxx

Welcome to Pet Talk Beth Ann - although the reason that brought you is so sad - I do hope you stay and join in here.

Lynne

Beth Anne
06-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Today the kittens are 33 days old and doing fine. The have finnaly gotten the hang of useing the litter box. we are sstill bottle feeding but am trying to get them to eat some moist food by hand. we weighed the kittens friday and Jane and Shawdow both are at .15 oz each, and Samantha is .14 oz, and Cry Baby is at .13 oz. When their mother died they all weighed .10 oz . They think of me as mom, and are playing, climbing (my legs), B ecause we have 4 newtured males here at my mom's house, I have been keeping the kittens contained in a medium cat carrier, at night.
The other cats are named Tiger ( 14 years old), Stout ( 10 Years old), Mustash and Buddy (5 years old). Tiger is my cat , Stout is my brothers and Musatsh and Buddy are my moms. When we sold our House in Utah, in 1999. My mother moved all of my belongiing and my cats, I had Tiger and a female (Elvira), who at that time just had a litter of 6 kittens. My mom found homes for 4 of the kittens but desided to keep Mustash and Buddy. We lost Elvira in 2002, she just dissapered, we never did find her. She was a Pursian, I have always raised all types of animals. When I was littel I was always bring home injured or lost cats and dogs. We would find them homes or keep them our selfes. In my life I have raised cows, goats, rabbits, Fish, cats, dogs, Hamsters, Mice, rats, gerbels, geckos, iguanas, and birds (parakets and cockatiels). I love all animals, I have gone over to some ones house and they said that their cat never comes up to strangers, but they suprise their owners and come up to me and let me hold and pet them. I have the same way with dogs, and other animals. Sorry this is a long note. But I dont have axcess to a computer all the time.

THANK YOU EVERY ONE FOR THE INFORMATION ABOUT RAISING BOTTLE FEEDING AND RAISING KITTENS. BETH ANNE

lynnestankard
07-13-2004, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the update Beth Ann - it's nice to know those weeny babies are growing and feeding and using you as their climbing post!! :eek: Keep up the good work :D