PDA

View Full Version : is it just me or is this board getting...

cali
06-19-2004, 02:02 PM
REALLY SLOW. every other site is not having a problem but this board is litterally taking 5 minuts to load(I timed it) and about 10 minuts for something to actually post when I reply or make a post. its been happening for quite a while now and its getting really annoying so is it just me? or is this happening to others too?

popcornbird
06-19-2004, 02:04 PM
It was REALLY slow for me too, but now its back to normal.

cali
06-19-2004, 02:05 PM
ok ya its working for me normal now, but it happens several times a day and drives me nuts, but at least I know its not just me lol

catnapper
06-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Yup. I had a bad problem a few minutes ago, and I thought it was my computer. I had to log offline and then back on. Sigh. I noticed that the more people that are on, the slower it worked. I guess the busier the PT server is the slower? Its a burden we have to share for a fun and popular board! :) :D

I did have another problem today --- when I logged on, my user name didn't show up, so I had to type in my user name and password again. I've never seen thought. hmm. I know I didn't log out when I was on earlier. Hubby was having a problem with cookies earlier today... so maybe he turned them off and back on again. Maybe thats why I had to log back on again.

trayi52
06-19-2004, 02:19 PM
I seem to having problems with the e-mail that tells me of threads I am suscribed to. It takes from 6 to 12 hours before I know that there has been a reply to these threads. Like if somebody replys to a thread I suscribed to yesterday, I didn't get it until today. That is really getting tiresome to me.

It has been this way for about three days! Why is it taking so long for the e-mail telling me that there has been replys to suscribed threads?

Willie

Karen
06-19-2004, 02:26 PM
As far as I know, our server is running lightly slower than normal, because the Internet seems to be running slower than normal. It could be some delay happening in the route between the Pet of the Day server and your mail server. People are always having spam problems these days, and that can slow down an individual ISP - someone else here was having that problem, then her ISP fixed something and she got a ton of emails!

catnapper - definitely if someone clears the cookies from a machine, you'd have to log in again. Cookies are how the site keeps track of who you are!

tatsxxx11
06-19-2004, 02:28 PM
My new "XP" version of Windows sent me an alert the other day, that this site and others were running slow!!! It seems to have gotten better the past day or so though!:)

Randi
06-19-2004, 02:33 PM
PT has been running a bit slower for me too, but not much - and not for a long time. However, the heavy picture threads are loading quite slowly sometimes. I guess it would help if people rezised their pics before posting. ;)

Some may not not know, but if you "save for web" before posting, they'll take up much less space.

gini
06-19-2004, 02:45 PM
I had actually emailed Karen because I am having the same problelms.

For example, now at almost 1:00 P.M. California time, I am receiving notices of replies to threads I subscribed to that are now over 24 hours old.

Also, when I logged into Pet Talk the little pop-up that says you have a private message did not occur. It was only by accident that I noticed there were several unread private messages.

Also, when I reply to a thread, it will take a while for it to post.

trayi52
06-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Gini, that is the exact same problem I am having. It is very confusing to me. LOL, it makes me feel like maybe I should just wait and log on to Pet Talk tomorrow to read the replys today, because I don't receive the e-mail notification until then anyway!

Willie

sirrahbed
06-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Yes, it is an intermittent problem for me as well, and is only on PT. I will browse elsewhere...multiple busy sites and everything is still high speed. Then, suddenly, everything is running quickly again. It has been happening for about a week and several times a day. It does not last long though - maybe a few minutes. Seems forever when we are used to almost instantaneous delivery! :D I just assumed it meant that there were too many people logged on??

Randi- how do you "save for web" before posting pictures? I want to conserve space however I can!

Pam
06-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Me too! In fact I called Comcast and asked them if they were having a problem and they said no. I have noticed that other sites are loading quicker than PT. Yes, my notices about subscribed threads are running about a day behind. I'm just glad that it's not my computer going on the fritz! :p

Randi
06-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Debbie, I forgot to say that to be able to "save for web" you need Photoshop or Illustrator - there may also be other programmes where you get that option, but they're the ones I know of.

Once you've worked on a picture (cropped, resized etc.), you choose "save for web" instead of just "save as". We've set ours up to show 4 different compressions in one window, and you can choose which one you want to use. They are 4 different sizes. :)

davidpizzica
06-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Gini, that is the exact same problem I am having. It is very confusing to me. LOL, it makes me feel like maybe I should just wait and log on to Pet Talk tomorrow to read the replys today, because I don't receive the e-mail notification until then anyway!

Willie Today I'm getting notices today for yesterdays threads! It's like a time warp.

gini
06-20-2004, 01:30 PM
David, and I just received notification of your post today, Sunday at 11:30 A.M.