PDA

View Full Version : should I get another?

weeze
01-16-2001, 10:13 AM
I need some advice. I have a 5 month old kitten right now and I am thinking of getting another one but am not too sure how it will be with two cats in the house. My husband and I certainly have lots of love to give but we are not too sure if two cats will be too messy and we are also concerned if our current kitty will be upset or not. Please help! Thanks

lhg0962
01-16-2001, 11:35 AM
Probably better to do it now than later. I have the scratches on my hands to prove that theory! My 11 year old Mimi has had a tough time adjusting to a new adult cat. I would think that it might take a little bit of time, but two kittens would enjoy each other very much. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Troy
01-16-2001, 06:53 PM
I agree wholeheartedly...I actually found it easier to have two kittens because they spend so much time playing with each other and require less attention - of course its hard not to give them attention when they're at that age! They kept each other company when I was at work and have since developed a extremely strong bond.

So go on, get yourselves another kitten!

4 feline house
01-17-2001, 02:10 AM
Similar to what I've said before in another post, even if they never become fast friends, they will at least peacefully co-exist, and there are so many kitties yearning to give their love sitting in shelters right now. So, yes, get another.

HowieDawn
01-19-2001, 02:07 PM
Oh most definately! you should get another kitty. At first they might not get along. They might be afraid of each other and hiss. But after a couple of weeks they will love and cuddle up with each other.

weeze
01-20-2001, 09:44 AM
So I went to see a kitten that someone was giving away and my Tiger went nuts. She hissed like crazy and the other kitten was so frightened that she ran off and wouldn't come out from her hiding place! Anyway, I chickened out from bringing that one home but I will give it another try as soon as I can find one! Thank you all for your advice!

carrie
01-22-2001, 04:55 PM
Nobody said that Tiger would instantly like the idea!!!! It's one of those things - it takes time. But believe me the sooner the better!!!!!

Pam
01-25-2001, 07:09 PM
I visited all of these links Spencer and found it interesting that almost half of the hoarders are females 60 yrs. of age and older. I would imagine they mostly live alone so there is no one to answer to and they virtually have endless freedom to continue to collect. Apparently it is a form of obsessive/compulsive disorder and these people are to be pitied rather than condemned. We have had two cases in the local paper in the last couple of years. Hopefully now that more is being learned they will be helped and so will their "captives."

Heaven
01-29-2001, 11:36 AM
I currently have 7 cats and I'm adopting another very soon. It usually takes a few days for everybody to adjust. I've never brought an adult cat into the house myself for fear of them having a hard time adjusting. FYI - I'm not a cat hoarder - I have the space and finances to care for my family of cats (i'm also in my 20s and married).

[This message has been edited by Heaven (edited January 29, 2001).]

HowieDawn
02-03-2001, 05:57 PM
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif i would love to be able to have/afford 7 cats.

bookitty1231
02-03-2001, 07:37 PM
I say go for it. The younger your current cat is the easier it may be for it to welcome a newcomer. The older he/she gets the harder this may be on you and your cat. This will also give your kitten a play mate for when your at work or just out of the house. I started out with two sisters so it made it easier for me, but when I'm at work they play and entertain each other and it makes me feel better to know that neither one of them is alone. I later added a third when they were a little over a year old and there was a little tension at first. I did it while I was on vacation and could be there with them to make sure they
didn't gang up on the little fellow. Also consider this, if you choose a kitten of the opposite sex please plan on spaying/nuetering to help prevent over population. Two can quickly turn into 6 and the pattern keeps going on. Plus it is
healthier for the cats.

------------------
"As we all know, cats now rule the world."
--John R.F. Breen

margaret
04-17-2001, 01:31 PM
That was a pretty sad video, Spencer, although it did have it's amusing side. It's good to know that the building owners found out about the hoarding and that the woman was forced to finally take action--adopt the cats out. Hopefully the people adopting all those kitties will DO THE RIGHT THING and spay/neuter and keep the cats updated on their shots!

That video is a perfect example of what happens when cats aren't spayed & neutered. Population EXPLOSION!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif

------------------
]Margaret

weeze
04-17-2001, 03:03 PM
Its funny that this conversation got fired up again today because since I originally posted it I got another kitty, a couple of days ago.. She is adorable, but my Tiger is not exactly pleased although she didn't react as badly as I thought she would. She is definetely not herself though. She doesn't want to play with me and she growls every time I try and pick her up. She hisses like crazy at the little one and they spend a lot of time chasing each other around the house. I feel really bad for Tiger but I think she will be better off with a little companion.

cprince
04-17-2001, 03:25 PM
I was happy to read that you did adopt another cat. Give them time to adjust and make sure you give equal amounts of attention to both.

I recently added a third adult cat to my two adult cat (and one husband) household. The younger of the two took to the newest addition immediately. The eldest of the three is reserving judgment but I can tell that each day, he is accepting the newest cat a little more.

Best of luck to you and bless you for adopting another cat! Keep us posted. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

alice
04-17-2001, 03:54 PM
Through the years, I have brought many new cats into an established household -- and several where adult cats, not kittens. I'm happy to report that there has been only one total failure. Fortunately, I was able to find an excellent home for the newcomer elsewhere and peace was restored to my house. It can take time, it can be wonderfully successful, or the kitties might just decide to simply tolerate each other, but it is always so rewarding to help provide safety and a good home for a cat that it is certainly worth the trouble.

------------------
alice

annibale16
04-18-2001, 02:19 PM
my newly adopted cat Maddie( stays inside) and my other cat ,Jazzie (stays outside) finally met and they love each other. Both are females and are very affectionate cats. They get along great and as soon as Jazzie gives birth I am going to have her spayed and taken to the vet for her shots and bring her inside.
Animal hording is kinda wierd. I have to admit that as much as I want to take in every animal I see, I have to hold back because it just is not practical.
Some elderly just don't know what they are doing due to dementia and alhemier's disease etc. It is sad for all involved.

nsweezie
04-27-2001, 01:53 PM
I would get another cat now. My two boys are about the same age, and get along fine, however my sister's 3 are quite a bit older, and do not like my guys much at all.
It seems that my cats are too rambunctions for the older cats.

treybabe
05-01-2001, 02:29 AM
Should you get another? Yes, the sooner the easier. Two are seldom much messier than
one. Even if they aren't the best of friends you will be giving love to another kitty and
you will have joy in that. I have two and have had three before one died. A new one is always an adjustment, but it helps if you keep the new
kitty in a room without the other for a day or so until smells become more familiar. That way there are no sudden surprises and
your other kitty has a while to adjust to
the scent before the first face to face encounter. It worked for us well. Good luck.