PDA

View Full Version : Does she or doesn't she (color her hair?)

Pam
06-18-2004, 08:43 AM
If you are old enough to remember that commercial (I think it was for Clairol) then you might answer yes to this poll.

I was just wondering since we are all getting to know each other so well through the house tours, polls and such who here colors their hair.

I noticed my first gray hair about 10-15 years and decided that if I was going to cover the gray I might as well go a shade or two lighter while I was at it. :) What about you? Could you be the woman in the commercial that asked "does she or doesn't she?" :p

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-18-2004, 08:49 AM
I started to get my first " natural platinum highlights"at age 23!!! I initially started by highlighting to disguise the grey, now there is too much, so I just colour the whole lot! I do love playing around with colours - mainly reds and plums - at the moment it is BRIGHT red:eek: !!!

Edwina's Secretary
06-18-2004, 08:57 AM
I don't really fit in a category. I have highlighted my hair for years. Now that I have "platinum highlights" (love that phrase Julie!) that is just more natural highlights!

G.P.girl
06-18-2004, 09:02 AM
well, i don't have any grey hair yet (i hope!)but i do want to dye my hair,i love changing things like that, but my mommy won't let me. i only wanted to dye it brown or something (it's black now) but my mom colors her hair, it's to hide the grey, she doesn't have much , bt she's really self concius about it.....lol she'd kill me if she saw this ;)

Randi
06-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Up through the seventies I used a lot of henna - I may be able to find a picture, but will have to scan it in..... later! ;)

I've always been blond, but lately, I'm beginning to get grey hairs, so I have stripes put in - 3 different colours. LOL! Ususally a brown, a cognac and a blonde. That way, you can let it grow without noticing the difference so much, and go a bit longer before you have it done again. In fact, I only have it done about twice a year.

binka_nugget
06-18-2004, 09:33 AM
I'm already starting to get grey. :o My brother (13 years old) has TONS of grey hair. He probably dyes his hair just as often as my mom.

I don't really have a color I stick to. I had a blue and green phase but I'd like to try a really rich red next.

RobiLee
06-18-2004, 09:47 AM
I started coloring my hair because my natural blonde hair started getting darker and darker and it was very dull looking so I started highlighting it. Then later in years I finally switched to full color because the gray really started showing. Yuck, I hate it. I feel like I can never find my right shade of blonde though. This is something that really drives me crazy. I wish I could be bold enough and really change the color of my hair. I would love to have a really pretty brown or even a dark red color. That would be so much of a change I would probably freak out though...lol. Right now I feel like my hair is too blonde for me. I think I would like something a little on the sandy blonde side....lol...I don't know. All I know is I hate my hair!.....lol

sirrahved
06-18-2004, 10:05 AM
I color because I'm very self-conscious about my age (21) and my greys. I had my first at 12! I'm not like a grey-haired woman or anything, just a few (that like to stick straight up!). I have very dark hair naturally, so the grey really shows. I'm usually pretty natural about my color (except when I had the pink bangs). Right now my hair is a natural copper brown.

My MIL, however (you all know who she is) doesn't have a SPECK of grey, she just occasionally highlights for fun. Tell me, is that fair at all?

CatMama78
06-18-2004, 10:13 AM
I've been coloring mine since I was 15. I just love to change it up. I always stick with adding red to or different shades of brown. Right now it's a very dark brown, basically black, which is probaby very close to my natural color.

Tina
06-18-2004, 10:59 AM
I don't think I'm grey yet. Well least I don't think I do.

I have colored my hair for about 6 years now. I have been all kinds of different colors. I've had high lighted blue hair to light blonde hair.

My hair is just now getting back to its natural color well at least I think.:confused: I'm thinking about coloring it again but haven't decided what color I want.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Two years ago I got my hair cut and asked the girl about starting to color it. She said "What and cover up all those beautiful silver highlights?" Needless to say she got a nice big tip! :D

I've got plenty of grays and lately everybody insists on telling me how many more I'm getting - do they think I don't know this? :rolleyes: But really, for me what it comes down to is I'm too cheap to color. Not only cheap moneywise - but time wise. I just can't see spending the money and taking up that amount of time FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!! So I've got gray hair, so what? My Mom and my Aunt were visiting last weekend. My Mom asked me if I was going to start coloring it. I asked her why, why should I? My Aunt answered "Because you're young." I thought - so? So I'm young, does having gray hair make me not young? My reply to my mom was "And why should I color mine when you never colored yours?" (My Mom never did, my Aunt always has)

I was recently starting to consider it because I've been getting sooo many comments lately, but then Terry found a wonderful article on staying silver. I asked him his opinion and he said it really makes no difference to him. I don't look old to him, he doesn't really even notice the gray and he would be happy with whatever I decided to do - how diplomatic can you get? :p

He found the article at precisely the right time. I had actually clipped coupons for some hair coloring and was going to go to the store that afternoon to check them out - now I won't have to! I saved the article and will post some of the highlights of it when I get home, but the one thing it said is that of the baby boomers, something like 45% are deciding not to color. So I'm still of the minority, but the minority is getting bigger. ;) :D

lynnestankard
06-18-2004, 11:05 AM
I'm a natural pale redhead (no hair just a red head!! (Sorry couldn't resist!!:D )

When I was young I went through every colour of the rainbow from platinum blonde through reds/oranges to black!!

I've not coloured it for years though and as I get older and the grey is creeping in I've found my natural colour stops the grey being obvious - just how lucky can you get? :D :D

My hairdresser always coments that I make her sick!! "People pay good money to have their hair your colour!!"

Lynne

sirrahbed
06-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by sirrahved
My MIL, however (you all know who she is) doesn't have a SPECK of grey, she just occasionally highlights for fun. Tell me, is that fair at all?

The MIL would be ME:D I don't know why, I am almost 50, but I do not yet have any grey. My mom did not have much either - even into her 80's - just salt and pepper. I was a white haired little girl, then a blonde and now a dark blonde - so I highlight for fun. Like Randi - I have three tones put in with foil - a light brown, a caramel and a pale blonde. I used to experiment with reds - I always have loved redhair!! Devon and Missy both have the darker hair that looks so pretty with red highlights but it just does not go with my skin!
I think haircolor is just fun!!!
When and if I do go grey - I think I will enhance it and make the best of it - I love grey hair and the new products they have to bring out the sparkle and shine in it!! What I would love to have is white hair but doubt that will happen:rolleyes: It seems like natural blondes never get the white hair.

sirrahbed
06-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Randi
Up through the seventies I used a lot of henna - I may be able to find a picture, but will have to scan it in..... later! ;)

I used henna too! Do they even have that anymore????

catland
06-18-2004, 11:14 AM
I'm also developing "platinum highlights" and I haven't yet seen a need to color them. I figure that once you start its difficult to stop.

T&P - I'm with you, I just don't have the patience to fuss with my hair and having it done professionally is really expensive.

Now, if I decided that I wanted to look for a new job, I might take the plunge and conceal them - but only until I got the job.;)

moosmom
06-18-2004, 11:21 AM
*sigh* Yes, I color my hair with L'Oreal cuz I'm worth it. Light Natural Blonde.

I swore when I was a kid I'd NEVER do some of the things my Mom did, like color my hair, wax my upper lip, eat onion and tomato sandwiches with mayo, salt and pepper. I'm sad to say that I do all of those things now, except for waxing my upper lip (ouch!!). I use Surgi-Creme for that! :p :eek:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
*sigh* Yes, I color my hair with L'Oreal cuz I'm worth it.

:D :D :D

Catland, I have used the temporary, wash out ones like, maybe 3 times now just to get a feel for how it would all work. I was always too afraid to do the permanent colors because what if it turned out awful? I've heard horror stories before (hhmmm.....that's a good idea for a new thread). So anyway, if you decide to look for another job, just use a temporary one.

Logan
06-18-2004, 11:30 AM
I think Pam already knows my answer. :o

I am 41 and started turning gray at about 28. I have a history on one side of my family of all the women going silver by the time they are 30-35. Thankfully, that didn't happen to me, but at 41, I am about 75% gray. The "other" side of my family has a history of no gray hair. I think my mother and my sister take after my grandmother and her father, who at a very late stage of life, had little or no gray hair. I will say that I have a lot MORE hair than they do.

I take a very different attitude to Debbie (Tubby and Peanut's Mom), and some of the others. I am NOT ready to be gray. I told my husband that I would give up anything, EXCEPT, my 8 week appointment with the hairdresser to have my hair colored. :eek: Maybe it is because Scott is 5 years younger than I am. Maybe it is because of vanity. I'm just not ready to be gray. I tried home coloring before, but it is not cheap, nor is it permanent and it took me a lot of time. So I give up about 1 1/2 hours, every 8 weeks, plus about $60 to have my hair colored and cut. It's worth every bit of it to me!!! :)

DJFyrewolf36
06-18-2004, 11:33 AM
My first hair color experience kind of well...was bad. I was at this party and to make a long story short I woke up with bleached blond hair!! My hair is reddish brown naturally and it looks good on me so imagine my suprise at being a bleachead! To cover it *I looked like a total dork* I wet with blue, then with bright red, then I had it colored to a close aproximation to my natural color. The hubby after a while convinced me to go with burgundy. *which really accents my hair well* Its also so close to my hair color that when it grows out you can't notice unless you really inspect closely. I think I might just grow it out again though, hair dye burns my head something terbile and I always end up itchy. Might streak bleach it and add wierd colors if the boss will let me though ;)

ramanth
06-18-2004, 12:00 PM
My mom is a licensed beautician and she has her own little shop in the basement. :D She's always done my hair.

I mostly had my hair permed on occasion. In high school I put blonde steaks in my natural light brown hair. :)

In college, I took the plunge and around halloween I dyed my hair blood red. I've been dying it various shades of red ever since. :) (Except for one time I had it dyed black/purple)

I had my first white hairs at 21. :) Never dyed to cover them up. I just love to color for fun! :D

catlover4ever
06-18-2004, 12:18 PM
I'm 33 now and I started coloring my hair when I was 13. I'm a natural brunette and back in the 80's they came out with a product called SUN IN. Anybody remember that???:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I so desperately wanted to be blonde . Well I turned carrot top orange :eek: :eek:

That started my career of coloring my hair. I did the silver streak in the back of my long hair. My first year of high school I "tipped" my hair blue . I really loved doing that...it was so neat at the time.

Since then I have been completely blonde had blonde highlights, been strawberry blonde , chocolate brown , red , and now I am finally back to my natural color.

I have had many mistakes but I am very luck to have my mom's and grandmother's genes....my grandmother was 81 when she died and even though she had no hair due to cancer....I have a picture of her at 80 in Disney World and she had barely any grey....my mom is 57 and only has a very distinguised grey section on her left side.

Hubby on the other hand.....well he needs "Just For Men"

:D ;) :D

catnapper
06-18-2004, 01:42 PM
I've gotta wash those greys right outta my hair...

I have been greay since college. I have more grey than my mom! :eek: My natural hair color is dark brown - almost black. Noi matter what color dye I buy, it turns dark brown/black. I could buy platimun blonde and get medium/dark brown results! It makes it easy to buy off the shelf... hmmmm... whats on sale this week? LOL

anna_66
06-18-2004, 01:46 PM
I started out dying for fun. I've been from blonde to black and everywhere in between!
But now I am 38 and starting to get pretty many grays so I color to cover them. I've tried not coloring, but I just don't have the kind of hair that looks good when it grays. It's hard, kinky and just plain yucky:( And coloring seems to soften it up a little. So I will definately keep coloring:)

Kfamr
06-18-2004, 02:12 PM
I've never dyed my hair, at all.

Everyone thinks I do though, it changes from really light brown to really dark brown.

Glacier
06-18-2004, 02:48 PM
I do! I havne't seen my natural color since I was 15! My parents wouldn't let me do anything permanent (like tattoos or piercings), but I could do whatever I wanted with my hair. I have worn pretty much every color known to man! I'm 31 now and have no idea if I even have any grey hair.

Currently, my monthly trip to the hair salon is my one truly selfish indulgence. Nothing comes between me and that appointment! I pay an obscene amount of money to my stylist--LOVE her!! I am currently a deep copper red with dark chestnut and blonde thrown in. I love it!

ChrisH
06-19-2004, 11:32 AM
My hair was once a naturally a mousy brown colour and is now grey/white. I don't colour nowadays and haven't for about 10 or so years, before that I can't remember a time I didn't colour/bleach my hair. :)

I remember that when I first started there wasn't any blonding/bleaching agents available in the shops but my brothers wife was able to obtain some powder stuff and peroxide from her aunt, who had a small hairdressers and we would use this to lighten our hair. My hair has been everything to orangie to silver, blue and green too from leaving the blond toners on too long! A couple of times went from blond to jet black in a couple of days, and back to blond a few weeks later ... it's a wonder I'm not bald!! :)

Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end .... :D :D

gini
06-19-2004, 12:27 PM
I am the older one around here..........and about ten - fifteen years ago (I have forgotten how long), I started getting a lot of -well not grey - but pure white hairs right in front but not anywhere else.

I debated what to do........because I am like Debbie - perhaps too cheap - and not patient enough to sit there to have it dyed.

Now, people ask me if I dye my hair to look like this. WHY, I ask you would someone deliberately dye their hair WHITE?

My response is no, I don't dye my hair, I have EARNED these grey hairs.

My paternal Grandmother had the most beautiful pure white hair and I am hoping that when it is all said and done........my hair will look like hers.

cali
06-19-2004, 12:54 PM
lol i have no grey, but orange hair does not dye well anyway. i strqaked it once, it was only supoosed to take 20 minuts i had to leave the stuff on for 2 hours and still hardly anything showed.

sirrahbed
06-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Highlighting is not expensive! I usually get the L'Oreal boxes with the cap that has holes - my hubby does it for me. I get the "petite" box and it costs about $7-8 and only needs a retouch maybe 2-3 times a year if at all. It's just for fun. This last two times, I have splurged and gone for a real foil salon job but I had never done that before - it was fun!!! Yes, that IS expensive but I felt so pampered and plan to have it done twice a year - I get a hair cut at the same time which is something I went YEARS without:eek:
Just for fun color - the Clairol temporary are always fun. They are about $5-6 and last a month or so. You can't go lighter, but they are fun if you want to try reds or a slightly darker shade. I think the burgundy and cherry clors look so pretty on brunettes!!
* warning - blondes:D -don't do dark brown or ash colors or you may end up GREEN:eek: I did!!!

davidpizzica
06-19-2004, 06:31 PM
My hair is brownish black with the gray at the temples and
I like it that way!!!

krazyaboutkatz
06-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Yes, I do color my hair.:) I started out by getting my hair highlighted when I was about 28 or so. Then I went for the total dye job and went blonde. I got tired of being blonde and decided to become a red head for a while. Then I got tired of this color and wanted to be a blonde again. Now I'm a golden blonde and really like my hair color. I have quite a few white hairs so I guess I'll eventually end up being a white haired old lady.;)

I used to color my hair myself until I turned my hair a purple color. Then one of my beauticians almost ruined my hair so now I color it myself again. It's much cheaper and I try to do it every 7-8 weeks.:)

sirrahved
06-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Just found my next color! I was shopping and looking at the Feria colors. There is one that looks like real red hair-it's orangy red, not purple-red or fire engine red. It looks like carrot top's color! Or Anne (with an "e!") of Green Gables. I've always wondered what I would look like with true red hair. This dye says it's formulated to work on dark hair. Next week I'll be the next Carrot Top! I can't wait!

trayi52
06-19-2004, 09:59 PM
No, I don't color my hair. I have a few gray hairs, but not that many.

I have, however had my hair dyed before. I didn't plan it though. When my daughter was about 15, her and one of her friends was dyeing their hair. I was sitting on the couch watching television, they came in and just started putting that stuff in my hair. They dyed it a auburn color.

Then my daughter bought something and wanted to put it on my hair, I told her I didn't want to dye my hair, she said it would wash out, it didn't. She tricked me! Lindsey has tricked me into everyone of these at one time or another. When will I learn?!

Now I just say, stay away from me with any of that stuff. Lindsey used to like to color her hair, like just her bangs. Sometimes it would be a bright red, but she seem to like blue the best. She dyed her bangs blue, went out and bought a skirt to match her bangs.

I guess I am just too lazy to have to think about redoing the roots, so I will just keep my little bit of gray and try to be happy with it!

Willie:D

Twisterdog
06-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Once in a while I color my hair, but just for fun. Most of the time I just leave it alone. I have dark brown hair, with one stripe of gray - well, actually it's not gray, it's pure white. I call it my skunk stripe. No way I'd cover it up, I think it's cool looking. I get lots and lots of positive comments on my hair and my skunk stripe ... plus I'm too darn lazy to mess with it.

carole
06-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Yes i colour my hair and I have no qualms about admitting it, I am not ashamed to say so, I have about 30 percent gray now according to my hairdresser, and I hate having grey hair, I did have dark hair , but now I colour it a natural blonde colour, it suits me, I do not suit dark hair anymore, strange that, I was blonde as a young child, maybe that is why, dark hair against my fair skin makes me look like a witch, not a good look lol.
I always use Loreal products, just used the new one that you brush on highlights, it was a bit disappointing results, My girlfriend did it for me, she is a hairdresser, but it looks more like one colour and quite yellow at times, i like the striped look of blonde and red.

I find it a pain having to dye my hair, its a chore, but i am not ready to go grey just yet, maybe in my sixty's, my mother only stopped doing hers about three years ago and she is 70 this year.

BitsyNaceyDog
06-20-2004, 09:13 AM
I do color my hair. It's normally a medium brown and rather dull. I dye it a reddish brown just to add a little sparkle. I've done blonde highlights in the past but I like dyeing it the reddish brown best.

My husband, Justin has red hair that is turning white:rolleyes:. His mom was 100% grey by 23 but, she dyes her hair.