PDA

View Full Version : Losing my best friend

anubis
08-03-2001, 06:59 PM
I lost my baby, Teddy, almost two months ago and it has been the hardest thing I've ever had to go through. She was my best friend and a child to me for almost 14 years. I expected to have her for much longer and it was a major shock to me the morning she didn't wake up. My mother wrote a beautiful poem that says it all. I just wanted to share it.

To: Heidi

"Teddy, Come, I'm Blowing My Horn"
Teddy, the Tortoise Shell Cat
1987-2001

Heidi has a special friend, with her she'll always be.
Sweet just like her gray and gold Mom, so Heidi named her Teddy.
In the house she lived so she'd be safe as she could be.
Her siblings lived the farm cat life, which certainly wasn't easy.

Off we went to Pocatello to live for 9 months of a year;
In the apartment we couldn't have pets; not even a Cat so dear.
Teddy sat in our window and we'd hope nobody'd see her there;
Sometimes, Heidi would take her walking out around the square.

Frequently Teddy would escape and give us quite a fright,
We'd look all day for her and way into the night.
Thank goodness, she'd come back sneaking when Heidi blew the horn
We knew if she were gone, forever Heidi would mourn.

Teddy had some habits that really weren't so fun;
She'd puke up her food and then lay around in the sun.
Now I know, A little hair ball or two wasn't really so bad,
We knew the day Heidi would lose her, would be so very sad.

That time has come and now we all cry.
Our love for that tortoise-shell Cat, we surely can't deny.
The family hurts for Heidi's pain, Whatever can we do?
This time she's really gone; the most special Cat we ever knew.

Now Heidi's lost her very best friend and we can only hope,
That God will take her hand and teach her how to cope.
She's birthed some beautiful kittens, numbering more than seven,
It's comforting to know she'll have her kitty family in heaven.

She'll cry and think and mope around, not trying to forget;
That could never happen when you've lived with your Pet,
Who's licked your tears and felt your pain; forever by your side.
Total devotion and faithfulness, until the day she died.

Love,
Mom

zippy-kat
08-03-2001, 09:13 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. Just remember that she is waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

What a beautiful poem for you to remember her by! Thank you for sharing it with us. It is most certainly a special and personal tribute to your dear friend, Teddy.

4 feline house
08-03-2001, 09:24 PM
Heidi, your mom wrote a beautiful tribute to your beloved Teddy. I know you're hurting, it takes a long time to get over the loss of a special furry friend. But you can know that you gave her a long, comfortable life and she knew you loved her. Remember the things you loved about her and all the joy you got from knowing her - like blowing your horn to tell her it was time to come home. That's so cute! And you will always have that, and all the other, special memories of her.

gini
08-03-2001, 11:17 PM
It does get easier Heidi. Hard to believe, but the day will come when you think of Teddy you will be filled only with warm fuzzies of all the wonderful times you had together. And your tears will be less and less. Teddy is at the Rainbow Bridge now, still loving you and waiting for you one day to meet her again.

I am so sorry for your loss and my prayers and a big hug go out to you.

Eudora
08-04-2001, 10:18 AM
Oh... I'm so sorry for you. I'm no good at consoling but remember the happy times you shared and don't dwell on the grief and tears.
I lost my baby Sugar to old age a few months ago.... I would know.

tatsxxx11
08-04-2001, 04:25 PM
Dear Heidi. I am so sorry you lost your beautiful Teddy. The loss is so deep and the pain almost unbearable. But as others have said, please take some comfort in the memories of all those happy days and years you had together and in knowing that you gave her the most wonderful life here on earth. So many of us know the pain that you are feeling. I lost my precious Lizzie who was 19 in the same way, just after Christmas this past year. I still cry. But more and more the tears of sadness are replaced with the many beautiful memories she left me with. I know my Lizzie and your Teddy are frolicking happily at the Bridge, safe and whole, waiting anxiously till they will be with us again. Your mom wrote you the most beautiful tribute. It is a tribute not only to the precious Teddy, but to her love for you, a very special daughter, as well. I will keep you and your special girl, your Teddy in my heart and prayers. Love, Sandra, Mr. B. and Oliver.

margaret
08-05-2001, 09:08 PM
I'm so, so sorry, Heidi. Please know that we are all thinking of you during this difficult time. Your heart must ache so much for Teddy, and you miss him something fierce. The pain of loss can cut so deep, but it also shows the depth of your love for Teddy. He was a blessed cat to have had you in his life, as you were blessed. It is wonderful to know that loved ones live on in our memories and we can enjoy the hope of seeing them again someday. Take care, and write any time you want someone to listen or if you want to talk about Teddy. :)

Cougie Wechsler
08-05-2001, 09:15 PM
What a beautiful and moving tribute to your Teddy, captured so eloquently in the poem. My deepest sympathies for your loss. Healing will come as will the precious memories of Teddy. God Bless