PDA

View Full Version : Bird Owners! Do you clip wings yourself?

aly
06-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Hi guys,

Just been doing so much reading on birds and wondered if you guys clipped your birds' wings yourselves or do you go to the vet? Or do you do it at all?

I've found some info on it, but none with clear pictures and exact descriptions of how to do it.

trayi52
06-16-2004, 07:16 PM
I have never clipped Charlie's wings at all. I raised Charlie from a little baby. I gave him formula made for a baby bird, so anyway, I have just never had a reason to clip his wings. He stays here in our living room. I give him the freedom to just fly around the room most of the time. But he goes back into his cage at night to sleep.

Willie:)

My Peanuts
06-16-2004, 08:41 PM
I don't clip Alex and Danny's wings. I like them to have exercise, so I let them fly around the living room or bedroom when Sylvia and Harley are outside.

zippy-kat
06-16-2004, 09:08 PM
We always clipped Jackie's wings. Welllll, ok, *MOM* always clipped Jackie's wings - I didn't like doing it as I was always afraid I'd screw up.

She's out of town but I'll ask her how she did it when she returns next week. (I think you just fan the wing out and then cut at a diagonal.)

Logan
06-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Aly, I have never tried to do it myself. Everytime Roger and Milly's wings have been clipped, it has been done by our vet. I know Popcornbird does her birds, herself, but I'm too scared!! :o

popcornbird
06-17-2004, 12:46 AM
I clip my birds' wings myself. Wing clipping is something you should NEVER do yourself if you don't know how. One of my mom's friends taught me how to clip my birds' wings when we first got them. She has had birds for the past 40 years, so she's very experienced with them. After that once, I clipped them once in front of her, and have been doing it myself ever since. My birds don't really fly even when their wings are fully grown, but I clip them anyway. Too many people have lost their birds by allowing them to fly free. I feel its very important for their safety. Here's a diagram that shows where to clip from. I would still recommend watching a vet or someone do it before attempting to do it yourself.

http://www.cockatiels.org/images/wing.gif

Dogz
06-17-2004, 08:57 PM
I haven't clipped Soda and Cracker's wings yet. They are getting to need it now, and I do know someone that knows how to clip them. I am hoping that she will come over to teach my dad and I. :)

lute
06-18-2004, 08:10 AM
i don't clip Lucy's wings at all. when i got him he was 16 and had never had them done,so i didn't want to do it incase he got freaked out.

BitsyNaceyDog
06-18-2004, 12:55 PM
I clip them myself.