PDA

View Full Version : Table scraps and human food...

joanofark
06-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Do you feed your dogs table scraps and human food?

Logan
06-16-2004, 12:52 PM
We try to limit it, but on occasion, they do get the various "bites" of meat and vegetables from the table! :o

heinz57_79
06-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Not a whole lot, but every once in a while they'll get some leftover rice or stew or something mixed in with their regular food. They never get food handed to them from the table, its always mixed in so they don't come to expect treats when we're eating. :)

Kfamr
06-16-2004, 01:23 PM
As a special treat sometimes, mixed with their food. And sometimes i'll give them little pieces of meat, and give Nala some veggies. She LOVES carrots.

binka_nugget
06-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Yes, my dogs get table scraps/human food. Mind you, they're not processed foods or anything. They only get foods like Chicken, beef, eggs (raw), and all sorts of veggies and fruits. They get it whenever.. I'm not too worried about them begging while I eat. They're trained well enough to know they aren't allowed to beg so I don't have to worry about holding out on them all the time.

BCBlondie
06-16-2004, 01:36 PM
I sometimes give my dogs some cheese or yogurt.. sometimes a little peanut butter. Miksy LOVES tomatoes but he doesn't get them often.

Stenograsaurus
06-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Only what my 15 mo. old throws on the floor for them. ;)

anna_66
06-16-2004, 02:12 PM
I voted "only some foods".

Very rarely, if ever do they get table scraps and if they do it's only 1-2 small bites. But I do let them lick the plates after we are done. They seem happy with that.
After the way Keisha died I just can't bring myself to give them food from the table.

Now, I do give Angus a tablespoon of canned chicken & broth with breakfast (I use it to hide his pills) and he also gets a tablespoon of yogurt to help aid in digestion.

dukedogsmom
06-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Not ever, now. Duke got super sick a year ago with Pancreaitis and he gets nothing now. With my next dog, they won't get any people food and then won't know what they're missing. It's so hard to have him wondering why he can't have all that good stuff anymore.

lv4dogs
06-16-2004, 03:25 PM
As long as the food is pretty healthy they get it. Between my dogs & my rats I rarely have left overs!

aly
06-16-2004, 03:25 PM
My dogs occasionally get carrots or pieces of meat. I really try not to give them anything at all because when they visit my mother, she tends to like to give them little treats here and there :)

Aspen and Misty
06-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Yes and No. They do not get anything while we are at the table because they are trained to stay in another room. I do give them things AFTER dinner is over and everything is cleaned up.

Ash

lute
06-16-2004, 03:38 PM
a few greens, meat, a little pasta, and anything else we're eating. my parents say Beanie might as well have his own plate and chair.:D

MariaM
06-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Not neccasarily table scraps, but I gave Major some chicken a few days ago and he gets peanut butter. That's really it for people food though

carole
06-16-2004, 05:05 PM
The dog we had when I was a teenager often had food scraps, he later had bowel cancer, that scared the hell out of me, to think he was eating the same as us, mind you it could be pure coincidence, i also think one has to be careful, as now I have only cats and discovered via the internet Garlic is toxic to them, think about how much human food has hidden spices, garlic often being one, like in sausages etc, so I now steer away from anything I am not sure of.

Pam
06-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Little baby carrots and apple slices everyday and occasionally pizza crust. That's about it. Hubby has been known to make them sit for a piece of popcorn. :rolleyes:

guster girl
06-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Finn and my ex boyfriend's cat, Lock, both get human food only, actually. But, not really table scraps. I never feed Finn from the table or my plate. He gets raw chicken, pork, beef, fish, etc as his daily food, and, so does Lock. I feed Finn fruits and veggies when I'm preparing my snacks for the day, but, I don't feed him anything cooked. He does stare while I'm eating but, I just tell him to let me eat, and, he will do his staring from about five or six feet away. :) He's a vacuum, though, he sucks up food like it's nothing. He puts down an entire half chicken (usually about two pounds) in about five minutes. It should be interesting to see how he does when he's full grown. Geez.

joanofark
06-16-2004, 06:38 PM
I think we made a mistake by giving food to duke from the table. He always begs when we eat!:rolleyes: :p :mad: :D :) :cool:

guster girl
06-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Finn used to beg like crazy! (So did my RB dog, Bruno, although he never ate people food) I got Finn out of it by leashing him to something he couldn't pull away from, giving him a toy, and, telling him "let us eat" while we sat down at the table. I only had to do that a few times before I could just tell him to let me eat, and, he would leave us alone. I never gave him food from the table, but, I don't think that matters really. Like I said, my dog Bruno was a terrible begger and he'd never eaten people food or been given treats from the table. I think it depends on the dog in a lot of ways. But, they can be trained not to beg. :) Finn will still come up to us, but, once you tell him to go away, he's pretty good about listening. 95% of the time, probably.

dappledoxie
06-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Claire and Rebel may get a bite every once in a while but usually they get none at all. I see too many upset tummys and worse at work. So they can only have a little bit. :)

joanofark
06-16-2004, 07:51 PM
BUMP!:p

sabies
06-16-2004, 10:00 PM
Sadie does get some human food, but only stuff I buy specifically for her (cottage cheese, raw eggs, marrow bones) that was recommended in a dog health book. She wouldn't want my table scraps anyway, I'm vegetarian. In other houses that are serving meet she will show an interest in the dinner table and that's how I realized that she just doesn't like my food :(.

mruffruff
06-17-2004, 03:22 PM
All 4 get some human food, but only in the kitchen. They stare while I eat on a tray, but they know to wait.

Besides, they get yogurt, chopped brocolli or french style green beans in their bowl with the dog food every night. And a baby carrot. And a little lettuce. Maybe squash.

Come to think of it, I think they eat better than I do!

Mary

Tina
06-17-2004, 03:57 PM
I have really cut them back on the human foods. They use to get some everyday but now they get it as treats everyonce in awhile.

Josie does it a mixture of cottage cheese with her food everyday.

Other then that they may get a small piece of meat, veggie, fruit, and on rare occasions a chip, cracker, or piece of a cookie.