PDA

View Full Version : Alex is having serious health problems

apcrs5122
06-15-2004, 10:30 PM
He had an 'episode' yesterday that scared me to death. He had one back in March (?) that wasn't as bad, and it passed a lot quicker. The vet doesn't know what it is unless he sees him while he's having one, and when he is, we can't get him into the car. It's possibly strokes, heart failure, or even a brain tumor.

We've noticed that he's walking on his back legs funny, and we figured it's his arthritis getting worse. But now we think it may be part of what's happening to him. It's very possible that it will kill him, or we will have to put him down.

It started with him acting even worse on his legs than normal, which made us watch him more. Then all of a sudden he was swaying and stumbling when he walked. He wanted outside, and we let him out not knowing that it was happening. He went out and had trouble going out the door and down the 2 steps we have there. He got out and sort of fell down once he walked out a ways. After Alex walked out a little further, he did his chores and walked back to the side of the house and leaned on it for a few minutes before stumbling back to us. He had trouble coming inside, and once in he couldn't walk any further into the room. He sat down and started panting heavily and drooling. We tried to get him to lay down, but he wouldn't at first, just leaning on my sister to the left. He sat for a long time, then walked into the bedroom, down the hall, and into the living room, where he finally laid down. We got a towel to put underneath his mouth, because he was drooling very badly by this time. He laid there for quite some time, then he turned around, acting as if he wanted to jump onto the sofa, then tried to run out into the kitchen. I wouldn't let him, so he ended up throwing up into the towel I had (he runs to the back door whenever he needs to throw up, the good boy). He then moved back into the bedroom, where he laid down and went through the rest of the 'episode'.

It was horrible, and I was so scared that he was going to die in my arms, especially since my mom mentioned heart failure. The whole thing lasted about an hour, and after he just laid in the bedroom. The rest of the day he just rested.

Today he's acting perfectly normal, except for his back legs. I took him on a short walk, only about 15 minutes, compared to our usual 30-40 minutes. Now I'm just worried. I don't want to lose him, he means the world to me. But I don't want him suffering in any way. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Please pray for Alex, it will make me feel a whole lot better.

K9soul
06-15-2004, 10:34 PM
I'm so so sorry to hear about Alex's episode and the fear and heartache you are going through. Please know Alex and you are in my thoughts and prayers. Get better please big guy. {{hugs}}

BCBlondie
06-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Awww :( Poor Alex.. I hope he'll get better super soon! No more scaring your mommy like that :(
**hugs to both of you**

GoldenRetrLuver
06-15-2004, 11:07 PM
I know I already told you this on AIM, but I really, really hope he gets better. :(

You did the best you could for him, no matter what. Remember that.

Daisy, Molly, the whole crew, and I have our fingers and paws crossed hoping that Alex will pull through. Get better soon, Alex!

{{HUGS}} to you, Dayna. Give Alex one for me, too. :)

shais_mom
06-15-2004, 11:14 PM
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
I am so sorry.

countrycowgirl
06-16-2004, 12:43 AM
oh no!!:( I really hope that everything turns out okay dayna..... lilbit ,chewie, and roxey send tail wags and happy thoughts to alex ..... lots of hugs and kisses from me and one {{{{{{really big hug for you}}}}}

RubyMutt
06-16-2004, 01:12 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about this :(

You and Alex will be in my thoughts. I hope your vet will someday be able to help Alex.

Be strong, Alex (((HUGS)))

Canis Amicus
06-16-2004, 04:50 AM
You both are in my prayers.
Hope everything will be ok.

Rosana
and
Rex

chocolatepuppy
06-16-2004, 04:53 AM
I'm so sorry about Alex. I'll keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers. He's such a beautiful boy.

joycenalex
06-16-2004, 06:07 AM
alex the wonder dog sends alex get well wags. ((hugs to you both))

anna_66
06-16-2004, 07:25 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this:( Alex is such a beautiful dog.
I really hope that he doesn't have another episode like this. I can imagine how much it hurt you watching him go through it.

Please keep us updated on his health.

I'm going to be keeping him in my prayers.

Anna

Logan
06-16-2004, 07:52 AM
I'm so sorry for the problems Alex is experiencing. I know you are taking extra good care of him. Hang in there, and know that we will keep you both in our prayers. :)

ParNone
06-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Sending out positive thoughts and prayers that the big guy gets well soon.

lv4dogs
06-16-2004, 11:48 AM
oh poor Alex, he is in our thoughts. We wish you the best of luck!

A stroke, heart failure, brain tumor, seizure are all possible diseases that may cause symptoms like that, so is poison. Was there any chance he got into anything poisonous?

dukedogsmom
06-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Poor Alex. Duke and I send our love and prayers. You've got me sniffling at work and I can't get up. I know how much you must love Alex and I pray that you can get him healed so he doesn't have to leave this earth so soon.

dukedogsmom
06-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Bumping up for the night people

CamCamPup33
06-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Oh dayna! :(

Im so sorry to hear about Alex. That must be so hard to watch him go through that. Im praying for Alex.

Keep us updated..

Amber

apcrs5122
06-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Thank you so much guys:) All of the nice thoughts make me feel a whole lot better, it just makes me feel...can't think of the exact word...wonderful that there are such caring people out there. I'm sending on the tail wags, kisses and hugs to Alex.

Originally posted by lv4dogs
A stroke, heart failure, brain tumor, seizure are all possible diseases that may cause symptoms like that, so is poison. Was there any chance he got into anything poisonous?

No, there isn't anything he can get into that is poisonous. He will flip the trash can lid up and get into stuff everyonce in a while, but we never put anything in the house trash that could be dangerous to any of the animals. The first episode we were leaning towards seizures, but now there's many more possibilities to consider. But we can't afford brain surgury, or any surgury really, but since Alex is so old, (his birthday's on Saturday!:)) surgury is almost not an option (for my mom anyway:().

He's doing better now, no more signs of anything, except for those back legs. It looks like arthritis, but when it got worse during the episode we figured that it wasn't that (and so did the vet).

Now we're really just giving him even more attention, treats, and walks than we were before (it really is possible!:p), and he seems to really be enjoying it:)

sabies
06-16-2004, 09:54 PM
So sorry to hear. Lots of good thoughts heading your way from us. Hope you find out what's wrong.