PDA

View Full Version : Some good news

carrie
01-07-2001, 09:55 AM
The government in Taiwan has just banned the eating of cats and dogs. Well done to all who campaigned for this law!

4 feline house
01-07-2001, 07:44 PM
Spencer - I have seen stories in the last year on several of the TV news magazines about that very subject - in some countries dogs and cats are being bred solely as suppliers of fur for stuffed animals. It is now illegal to import or sell these in the United States, but up until recently they were very common. They are still being exported to and sold in other countries, and some are still being brought into the US. Just like what has been alleged in the fur industry, the living conditions for these animals before slaughter is horrible. One of the stories included pictures from a hidden camera, and it was sickening to see those kittens in filthy overcrowded cages, with little or no care or human contact. I know how you feel, way back in college, a boyfriend gave me two cute little owl figurines. I was horrified to learn a few years later that the owls' "feathers" were real rabbit fur. I no longer have contact with him, but he evidently has reformed, because I saw a list of the North Texas Humane Society's biggest contributors once, and his name was on it!

[This message has been edited by 4 feline house (edited January 07, 2001).]