PDA

View Full Version : Ok...I need some help

MariaM
06-14-2004, 05:11 PM
I need some help in regards to walking Major.

I put on his harness that I got him, he didn't seem to mind it at all. I attached the leash and off we went.

Well, he started pulling, so I stopped. Then, he started doing his high-pitched bark.
The one that can carry on for blocks, and really hurts your ears.

So I waited, and I waited, and finally he sat down. I started going again but the same thing happened. He won't stop pulling, even with the harness, and when I stop, he yaps. Help needed!

Shelteez2
06-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Well in general harnesses promote pulling. That's what they were developed for, to help a dog pull. Look at the dogs you see wearing harnesses... sled dogs, weight pull dogs....etc. Harnesses also make it easier for a dog to pull as they can get all their weight into it, use their whole body so to speak.

What I would do is put him on a properly fitted flat buckle collar and a leash that's at least 6' long. Take him out and get him to sit. Give him a command (I wouldn't use a formal command like heel, but an informal one like "let's go") and start walking. When he goes to dart past you abruptly turn around and walk in the other direction. Don't say anything until he catches up to you. Praise him when he is at the right position. If he goes to dart past you again, just reverse your direction again. Do this as many times as it takes. You may look a little silly walking up and down the street, but if that's what it takes.... :)

What this does is teaches your dog to pay attention to you. You are unpredictable and so he has to keep a close eye on you to see what way you are going to go. If you are worried about him hitting the end of the leash too hard, give him a little warning like "uh-uh this way" as you are changing direction. Don't wait until he is at the end of the leash before you turn. You want to give him the room to realize he's made a mistake before he hits the end. Always praise him when he catches back up to where he was supposed to be, maybe even give him a treat or two to reinforce that your side is the best place for him.

Good luck!!

Aspen and Misty
06-14-2004, 05:56 PM
I do exactly what Shelteez2 does for my dogs.

BUT, if you want him to stop yapping, I would take a spray bottle along and use the commend you want to use like "Quite" (the command I use)

Good luck!

Ash

MariaM
06-14-2004, 05:59 PM
In other words, what worked with your dogs?

Hey, shelteez2, that sounds like a really good idea! I hope it works, I might try it in the yard first though.

Major pulled without the harness too. First I got the Gentle Leader, which I sitll intend on using, it is just a little too big for him. So in the meantime I got him a harness...but I just got it yesterday, so if I don't need it, maybe they'll let me take it back. Just trying to do whats best for him! :D

MariaM
06-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Oops! Didn't see your post, Ash.

I'll probably try that too, thanks!

Kfamr
06-14-2004, 06:12 PM
I use harness because it helps with pulling, for my dogs atleast. Also, harness work well at the dog park etc, if in the case you have to pull them away.

MariaM
06-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Now I'm getting mixed answers lol! Hmm... Maybe I'll just take back the medium one, and if I need one when he gets bigger, I'll get him the large. I don't have the most money right now, so I'm just trying to figure out whats best! Thanks.

ComedyDevil
06-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Personally, I use Harnesses for the two terriers because (even though they dont pull a lot now) when they do pull it helps stop them from choking themselves. Plus its a lot harder to escape from a harness than a collar, and escaping from anywhere is Squids speciality :p

With Toby I use a regular collar and leash. Because he's bigger, if I put him in the harness and he decides to pull (only when we see a strange cat ;) ) he puts his whole weight in the harness and I can hardly hold him.

When I was training them, I used to make them turn a circle every time they pulled. Squid spent the first 20 minutes spinning, so he soon decided it was easier for him to walk next to me :p

binka_nugget
06-14-2004, 06:22 PM
I use the same method that Shelteez2 mentioned for the Shelter dogs at the pound. We have 90% Rotties and Pitties at the pound so a lot of them are massive pullers! I walked a Pittie puppy who couldn't have been over 5 months old but he could easily out pull the other dogs at the pound. I used that method and he started walking very nicely after.

dukedogsmom
06-14-2004, 06:22 PM
You're getting an answer for the harness. Duke pulled a lot and I've found him easier to control with a harness, plus there's no danger of them doing any damage to their throat from pulling too hard. Won't make them cough and such as when pulling hard with a collar. It'll just take a little bit of work with him. Also, a shorter lead would be good in teaching him to heal, and then when he started that barking, you could still stop walking and maybe teach him to sit beside you. Then, when he stops barking, start walking again. Sorry you're getting so many different answers.

MariaM
06-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks everbody!

And that's ok, variety is good!

DogLover9501
06-14-2004, 07:03 PM
I agree with a few people!

I used to take Jasper for a walk with his collar, and he pulled, and pulled and pulled! Then I got a harness, its nice and comfy, I think it's actually called an anti-pull harness.

It's a miracle worker! I love it! I'll even use it just to walk him around the yard when Im helping my mom with flowers and things because it works so good.

So, I don't think harnesses promote pulling...

Shelteez2
06-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Here are a few links for you....

http://www.perfectpaws.com/leash.html

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/4159/reinforce.html

These links both deal with the "be a tree" method of training a dog to work nicely on leash.

I hope you find something that works for you and Major. Remember that whatever you decide on it will take consistency to acheive your desired result. If you want to just be able to control him then look to see what device will help you do that best. If you want a dog that walks nicely in any situation, then look into different training methods will help you do that best. I prefer training to management myself. :)

Shelteez2
06-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
I used to take Jasper for a walk with his collar, and he pulled, and pulled and pulled! Then I got a harness, its nice and comfy, I think it's actually called an anti-pull harness.

So, I don't think harnesses promote pulling...

Well an anti pull harness wouldn't promote pulling because it pulls up into the dogs armpits making it uncomfortable for the dog to pull. It is not the same as a harness that I was talking about. It is yet another tool like the halti that can be used as a band-aid to a problem, or with training as a stepping stone to a dog that walks well on leash.

MariaM
06-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Robyn, no kidding its comfy! Major had it on for a couple hours, I don't think he noticed it, AT ALL! (I put it on while he was chewing a rawhide)

Waaaay different with the halti, he doesn't like that, but is *slowly* growing to accept it.

I'm sorry if I confused you with what I have, so I will just attach some pictures. I just have to wait for them to load.

MariaM
06-14-2004, 08:02 PM
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_1633.jpg http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_1634.jpg http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_1635.jpg

heinz57_79
06-15-2004, 12:07 AM
ok, here's my 2 cents... Charlie, the little bugger!, still pulls on the leash. I got him a halti and it really works. It forces the dog's head to follow you, and keeps him from pulling because if he tries to pull, his head is turned back to you. He's almost FORCED to follow and not pull.

It's been my experience that harnesses don't work too well for pulling on most dogs. But I see you've got a halti now, so hopefully that will work better. :) Good luck!

Aspen and Misty
06-15-2004, 12:08 AM
I use a Harness on my dogs. I find that it tends to keep them from pulling.

Ash

MariaM
06-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Ok, well I'll probably try both of them! (not at the same time...lol)
Thanks!

MariaM
06-23-2004, 07:52 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I decided to update. First: I'm not sure if I have a harness to promote pulling, or an anti-pull harness. Whatever it is, it's keeping him from coughing and hurting his neck, and that's the main idea.

The method about turning around you gave me is working REALLY well. I started using it the past few days, and he's still not perfect, but is ALOT better. However, he is still barking at people and dogs/cats.

I intend to use the Halti, but I might not need to. This is working very well, and once the Halti fits him, I might switch over. I'll see when the time comes.

Cookiebaker
06-23-2004, 09:12 PM
That's great news that Major is making some good progress!!! :) Keep up the good work, and he will be ship shape in no time at all! :)