PDA

View Full Version : Finally "grown up"

emily_the_spoiled
06-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Well I think I have finally entered into "adulthood". I bought a townhouse on the weekend. I never realized how scary a process the whole thing is. The market in the Washington DC area is really really tight (and expensive), so I was very fortunate to find what appears to be a well kept place. But it is still scary to realize that I will now have a regular mortgage payment (instead of rent). I will now have real responsibilities (beyond the gang)... I am still a little stunned, so the reality hasn't quite hit me yet :rolleyes:

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Congratulations!!!! It's a HUGE step buying your own house, but so fulfilling when you potter around doind odd-jobs, and it's your OWN property you are inmproving - not to mention seeing the mortgage you owe decreasing, instead of paying for someone elses!!!

kimlovescats
06-14-2004, 01:33 PM
WONDERFUL news! How excited you must be! We really need to see some pictures of your new home!:)

lbaker
06-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Why didn't you email me?? We could have met somewhere while you were so close.. where did you finally find a place, here in Kensington? Do p.m. me and we'll met and chat and meet each others gang. When do you move in? This is so exciting, another PT'er RIGHT IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS!!
Laurie

emily_the_spoiled
06-14-2004, 03:00 PM
This is exciting but really scary because I am doing it on my own and I have never had to worry about anything like a mortgage before (yes I am almost 40 y/o and never had that before).

I am excited but scared at the same time, which is probably the same feeling many of you have felt when you bought a place.

I have the home inspection on Saturday morning, so I will take the digital camera and take some pictures to show you (although it will be with the other people's stuff).

Keep your fingers crossed that everything goes okay...

RobiLee
06-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Congrats! I think this is very exciting. I am very happy for you.

Robin :)

sirrahbed
06-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Wonderful!! We also became first time homeowners in our 40's!! It IS scary - BUT next income tax season..the deductions are fabulous:D

AmberLee
06-14-2004, 03:18 PM
I remember the terror I felt making that step. Do enjoy! And, yes, we would LOVE photos. (Like you had any doubts of that!) ;) :p :rolleyes:

P.S. I'm THRILLED for you. Hang in there.

P.P.S. I kept a paper bag at my desk for whenever the nerves would build up during the crazy-ness of buying and I'd breathe into the bag to keep from hyperventilating. There were three coworkers around me then going through the same thing and we were support for each other going through the stresses. Hope you can have a good support system, too.

Miss Meow
06-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Congratulations!

When we bought last year we were told that the first three months is the hardest for managing the budget. Well, 10 months down the track we're swamped in bills, so I'm going to say the first 12 months is the hardest!

It's a great feeling to know that your money is going towards something for you, and not someone else's investment portfolio :) And you can paint, nail and do what you like without all those icky little caveats ;)

lizbud
06-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Congratulations :D Is it a big step, but it can be a wonderful
experience. It's so great to know that you're living in your very
own space in the world.:) Your very own HOME.:) Hope you're
able to relax & enjoy it for a long time.:)

catnapper
06-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Congratulations!!!! Buying your own home is so exciting! I LOVE my house because it is MY house. My neighbor (whom we love) has been renting the house next door for nearly two years. They just bought it last week and she's been outside digging up rose bushes, and ripping out ugly shrubs. She's planning on repainting the house top to bottom inside and out... she's so excited that she can do ANYTHING because its now HER house! Its amazing how much your attitude towards things will change... for the better. You'll have so much more pride in your house and the neighborhood. What a exciting time for you! :)

sirrahbed
06-15-2004, 06:22 AM
I just thought of another favorite PLUS. Until our home, we had always lived in military quarters from the day I was born!! This means standard issue eggshell walls, etc!! Now, there is not one room that is not painted a pretty shade or stenciled in some way - not gaudy - but decorated!! Window treatments everywhere - flooring and carpet we like - pictures actually nailed to the wall - AHHH!!! I LOVE my home:D I love knowing that payment goes to OUR home, I can plant shrubbery, trees, flowers and they belong to US!!! YES, it was terrifying. I still remember the *CLOSING* and palms sweating like we were taking on this enormous thing, but now, it's great! And don't forget the taxbreaks!!

emily_the_spoiled
06-15-2004, 07:39 AM
Right now the scariest part is trying to get through the closing and moving without losing my mind. The worst part of it is that I have to travel quite a bit for work, so my time is REALLY limited. I know that I will get through this (hey if I can get through a PhD dissertation I can do this :rolleyes: ) ). Unfortunately I don't have the kind of support system that AmberLee has, but people are being good about the whole thing.

I know really understand why they say that buying a house is one of the ten most stressful things you can do in a lifetime :D :D :D

lynnestankard
06-15-2004, 11:17 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!

A wonderful, scarey and exhausting time - you'll do this and be so proud! Well Done :) :)

Lynne

anna_66
06-15-2004, 03:04 PM
I'm sure it's a little scary, but I'm sure things are going to be great:D

emily_the_spoiled
06-18-2004, 09:57 AM
No one ever told me that buying a house was THIS stressfull. I am feeling completely overwhelmed right now :( :( I am at the point where I keep feeling like I made a BIG mistake and I am getting in over my head.

Does this ever get better? Unfortunately I have to be out of town for the next couple of weeks for work (and there are a couple of deadlines at work for next week), so I am trying to get everything settled before I leave on Sunday because the settlement date is July 8 (they have short settlement dates in the DC area).

I haven't even thought about hooking up utilities or any of that other "wonderful" stuff...yet it seems that all I can do is just struggle to keep my head above water.

lbaker
06-19-2004, 10:24 AM
It gets better, don't have to rush things you know..it will all get done in time. I'm pm'ing you a list of names and numbers you might want in this area (emergency 24hr vet, regular vet, my excellent magical Dr if you're interested, painter, handyman etc) after all.. with 30yrs as a local homeowner - most of which as a single woman - I've needed most everything at one time or another :rolleyes: :) Also my phone number of course. When you get back to town let's you, Soledad and me meet up after work one day!
Laurie

Miss Meow
06-19-2004, 08:52 PM
You will quite possibly go mad before things get better :) :eek:

I nearly stopped the whole deal when our conveyancer went feral; she sent contracts and documents to sign which confused me, so when I called she'd abuse me for being a bit slow, and then wouldn't apologise when the errors were in her not sending the documents! No wonder I didn't understand! I got my own back by asking the bank to never refer customers to her again :)

It'll get hard emotionally and financially, but one little thing at a time and you'll get through. It's worth it.

NoahsMommy
06-20-2004, 03:15 AM
Congratulations!!! :)

I'm totally jealous as I'm dying to buy something right now...I hate wasting all that money on rent. :(

Are we going to be getting a tour??? ;)

AmberLee
06-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
No one ever told me that buying a house was THIS stressfull. I am feeling completely overwhelmed right now :( :( I am at the point where I keep feeling like I made a BIG mistake and I am getting in over my head.

Does this ever get better? ...

To the best of my recollection, you are just about on schedule. Yep, it is stressful, crazy time, but worth it ultimately.

Good luck!

emily_the_spoiled
06-20-2004, 09:30 PM
I want to thank everyone for their support and letting me know that I am NOT going (too) crazy. I know that part of my problem is that I am travelling for work and I can't really do all the things needed (unless there is a 1-800 involved ;) )

You guys will get the tour when I move in. Right now the old owners are still in and besides I have decided I want to re-paint some of the rooms.

I had my house inspection on Saturday and things were basically okay except for the fact that I am going to have to replace the windows within the next year (another $2000). This made me realize that a home is a "money pit" and I am now in it!!!

All I can say is that my grey hair is coming out is full force!