PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera rant

catnapper
06-14-2004, 12:30 PM
ACK! My camera is sick AGAIN! Its only been 3 months since it broke last time. Now I'm sending it back again to be repaired for the SAME PROBLEM!!! Thankfully its still under warranty, but that'll run out by Labor Day, and then what would I do?

They are sending me a UPS shipping label so that I can send them the camera at no cost to me, and it should be back to me by next week. BUT still, its a hassle and it worries me that this won't be the last time its going to need to be repaired for the same problem.

Ok, so the problem only is downloading the photos and if it happens after the warranty expires, then I can just buy a card reader. Why should I buy a card reader? Its their darn USB port thats breaking every time!!! I can't be the only one with this problem on this camera. I can understand it breaking once - thats a fluke - but twice within 3 months? Thats shoddy manufacturing. And the worst part is that the USB cable is proprietary to them! There's no excuse then.

Grrr.... thanks for listening to me rant. The sad thing is that I really do like my camera otherwise. Though I'm still trying to figure out all of the fancy settings it has! :D

Dogz
06-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Arg, don't you hate when your camera gets sick on you? :mad:

So, is the problem the USB cable or the camera itself?

catnapper
06-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Its apparently the USB cable, but they want me to return the camera for repair too. So maybe its both, and they aren't admitting that?

I'm currently writing the letter to go in the box with the camera, and don't know quite how to phrase the letter... I want to say "well, you made a camera/USB with an obvious flaw. What are you going to do when the warranty runs out? Why not give me a whole new camera as a replacement in good faith? An upgrade would be nice!" Alas, I can't :D

Here's what I've got thus far (I know it still needs work)
Dear Nikon Repair,
I am sending you my Nikon Cool Pix 4300 camera for repair. This is the second time I am submitting my camera to you for the same problem. I cannot download the photos from my camera. It seems as if the USB is faulty.

Attached is a copy of my receipt; the camera should still be under warranty. Since this is the second instance of this problem, what can be done to ensure it won’t happen again? I don’t want to be faced with this problem after the warranty has expired.

Any ideas/suggestions on what else I shold say? Or how I should rephrase what I have already said?

~Kim

kimlovescats
06-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Sounds like a great and honest letter to me ... now the ball is in their court! Good luck!!!:rolleyes: ;)

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-14-2004, 01:38 PM
The letter sounds great!! Have you looked ont he net to see if it is a known fault with that model? If you can attach proof that it's a common problem maybe they will replace the camera?? (It's worth a try).

I am facing a similar problem with the new Nokia 3200 mobile phone. 2 of the kids have them, and the power on/off switch keeps packing up! They are repairing it under warranty (one of them 3 times now), but the warranty runs out in a few months. I have written to them ans told them they should either replace the phones or continue to replace the button free of charge after warranty has expired, as it is a known problem, but they havent replied yet.

My Chopard Happy Diamonds ring has been sent back to Europe TWICE for dirt getting inside the crystal, now it is out of warranty and they want over $300 to fix it. It's the LAST piece of Chopard I will buy - and I LOVE their stuff!!

If the camera company DOESN'T do something to sort it out, then write back and tell them you will be posting reviews on epinions and all the other consumer sites and mentioning the problem.

trayi52
06-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Kim, why can't they just replace the whole camera? They can see that you have had nothing but problems with this one. Why don't you tell them you have had nothing but problems with it since you had, and would really appreciate a replacement camera. There is something indeed wrong that keeps messing up the usb port on it.

Tell them you like the camera, and all the options, but you would really appriciate a new one to replace the faulty one.

Just an idea, I really think, you will probably have the same problem with it again, and deserve a new one!

I really hate that you are having such problems with your camera, it is just not fair to you to have to keep dealing with these problems! Afterall, you did probably pay a pretty price for it and probably got a lemon in the garden of cameras. I hope you get your problem solved.

Willie:)

popcornbird
06-14-2004, 01:48 PM
I honestly believe they should give you a new camera in replacement if this has happened again after getting it fixed. My friend had an MP3 player that gave her problems while under warrantee. The first time she sent it in, they fixed it. Second time, they sent her a brand new one. I sure hope you can get a new camera. Do Nikon cameras often have problems, or is it just your's?

catnapper
06-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Been searching for the past half hour for problems related to this camera and basically there's not one bad review. So it does seem as if its my camera. :( Why does this stuff always happen to me! :D

catnapper
06-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Ok, revised my letter. Replace the second paragraph with:

Attached is a copy of my receipt; the camera should still be under warranty. Since this is the second instance of this problem, what can be done to ensure it won’t happen again? I have done extensive research online and have not seen any reviews or mentions of the Cool Pix 4300 encountering this problem. I have been very impressed with the camera’s performance, and the efficiency of your support and service teams. It seems as if this problem is unique to my camera, and I was wondering if there is any way possible that I could have a replacement camera to avoid such a problem again?

Too forward? Wahhh! I love my camera, but hate this part!

Cinder & Smoke
06-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Your revised letter is good!

Be sure you record the SERIAL Number of the camera -
so you can tell if they DO replace it. ;)

Also wouldn't hurt to include a COPY (Not the original)
of the FIRST repair paperwork...
They "should" be able to tell from their records that your camera
has made a previous trip in for repair -
but giving them the copy of the paperwork will make *sure* they know!

Also - check to see if you're supposed to send in the removable
"media" (storage card) - SOME of the repair centers advise
Not to Send the media (they use their own for testing).

Good Luck!

/s/ Phred

trayi52
06-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Kim, can you talk to them on the phone as well? Sometimes talking to them directly really does help.

I hope they send you a new one! You certainly deserve a new one with all the heartache you have had!

Willie:)

catnapper
06-14-2004, 03:33 PM
I like the idea of adding the serial number and the original work order papers. I did speak to the repair department already today - thats how I got them to send the shipping tag for me. Usually its the camera owner's responsibility to send the camera to them at the owner's expense. I never requested a new camera while speaking to them. Perhaps they will since they seemed so eager to pay for the shipping?

I have already removed the battery, the storage card, lens cap and strap (which is what they said I needed to remove.) Its all wrapped nicely in bubble wrap and the box is awaiting the paperwork that I'll stuff in there. :)

I'll let you know when I hear something!

trayi52
06-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Kim, maybe we should all write in or call, and complain that we are missing out on Pouncer, Allen, and Nicki pictures!! They better send this woman a NEW camera, and quick!!!! ;)

Willie:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-15-2004, 05:37 PM
I can understand that you want the camera fixed, and it's only right that the thing should work properly, especially if it's still under warranty.

BUT, using a card reader is really no problem. That is all I've ever used with my new camera and I really prefer it. To me it's so much easier to keep the card reader near the computer and when I'm ready to download I just flick the card out of the camera and into the reader. When I'm done I just replace it after erasing it. This way I don't use battery power to download or I don't have to worry about having the AC cord for the camera so the batteries don't die in the middle of downloading.

I don't know, with my last camera I never used a reader. With this camera it's the only thing I've ever used - and I love it! I've got CompactFlash cards and the reader was only $20.00 - cheap enough that I bought one for home and one for work. :)

So, I do think you should get your camera repaired since it is still under warranty, but then why not try a card reader? If it turns out your absolutely positively don't like it, you can always return it.

:)

Kfamr
06-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Darn camera! they better fix it, or give you a new one, cause I want some new Nicki pictures!!