PDA

View Full Version : Kitty Food

bunny_lover69
07-29-2001, 06:13 PM
I was just wondering what kind of kitten or cat food everyone uses. I don't know what kind I should use for my kitten~
thanx everyone

Fuzzy317
07-29-2001, 09:32 PM
we use the Nutro Max Cat brand dry, the kitten type for our 12 week old kitten, and the adult version for our other cats. We give canned food maybe once a month as a treat. :)

Pam
07-29-2001, 10:16 PM
My cats are watching their weight. Not because they want to though. :D I have fed them IAMS as long as I've had them and now they are on IAMS Less Active. When you think about it, cats sleep about 16-18 hrs. a day, according to what I've read, so that's a pretty inactive day in itself! :D Occasionally I will let them split a can of Fancy Feast if I'm feeling sorry for depriving them. :)

Ann
07-30-2001, 03:02 AM
I feed my two persians Iams... a special kind of Iams too were the pieces are shaped so its easy for "flatfaces" to eat it LOL

other than that they both beg at the dinner and breakfast table and recieve all kinds of treats... ham, cheese, fish, meat, milk and so on... Oliver loves Whiskas KitBits as well (candies)! every time i go in the kitchen close to the cabinet where i store the candies he always comes running and begs like crazy :)

wolflady
07-30-2001, 12:38 PM
Pam, I'm feeding my Marius Iams less active too! LOL I don't think anybody could be less active than my Marius!! LOL LOL

Until recently, I was feeding that to Scooter, but he is now in a prescription Science Diet low magnesium food for his UTI problem. He will have to be on this food for the rest of his life, but hopefully he won't have any recurrances....

catwoman
07-30-2001, 01:53 PM
My cats eat the dry Science Diet Hairball Control Adult Formula. They absolutely love it ... even reject "wet" food in favor of it. (Now, if it only helped with the hairballs ... LOL)

4 feline house
07-30-2001, 03:13 PM
Spencer - to answer part of your question - yes, things can go in pet food that would never be put in people food: The "byproducts" on the label can include such things as chicken beaks, organs other than normal food organs (ie, testacles instead of livers) and such. And alot of the "protein" is vegetable protein, like corn and rice. This is okay for dogs to a great extent, but cats are strict carnivores and require amino acids that their bodies cannot manufacture that are only found in animal proteins.

I know Purina is a good product, but never in my life have I been able to feed it to any of my cats. Just this last weekend I was hospitalized on an emergency basis. This left my son home alone without prior prepartation. He had to get cat food, but since he doesn't drive he had to walk to the Stop and Go, and all they had was Purina. I came home to damp paper towels all over the house, because each cat barfed multiple times. It wasn't just the sudden change of food, because even though their main diet is Iams I will occasionally, due to budget restraints, buy a store brand - usually Friskies. So they are used to occasional abrupt changes in their diet. This is the same experience I've had with every cat I've ever tried to feed Purina to. I know other people swear by it, but in my house it has always been a "it's Purina or nothing, and Purina is better than them starving" choice.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: 4 feline house ]

bunny_lover69
07-30-2001, 03:26 PM
Thanx Everyone~ That helped Alot
:)

Ginny
08-09-2001, 08:46 AM
I am going to try that Science diet hairball food. Misty has hairballs frequently and I have tried different foods with hairball stuff in it and she still has them. She gets tired of her food once in awhile & I have to change so maybe she would like Science. Thanks for another food to try on her. ;)

cr7clark
08-09-2001, 11:11 AM
On hairball remedies, I try to give Bo hairball remedy treats once in a while. She eats Science Diet Feline Maintenance formula and is doing very well on it. I like Science Diet because it doesn't contain coloring agents or nasty fillers.
Spencer's recommendation to brush your cat at least once a day is good. Sometimes during the summer I have to brush Bo twice a day, fortunately she LOVES to be brushed and will beg to have it done. :)

Catcrazed
08-09-2001, 03:00 PM
My furbabies don't get alot of hairballs, but I swear by mineral oil. Due to budget constraints my kitties eat kroger brand.

catwoman
08-09-2001, 05:27 PM
I love all the good tips about hairball treatments everyone is sharing! (I consider myself a bit of an expert on this subject, as my girls have tried them all. LOL)

The funny thing is: Weezie (my cat without hairball issues) loves being brushed, loves hairball treats, loves mineral oil, vaseline, etc. Thelma (the hairball queen) hates all of the above! It's so funny how the one who needs the help refuses it!

(I have taken to rolling Thelma with a cathair-remover roller. She loves it, and it does remove some of the dead hair.)

SpencertheLion, I actually HAVEN'T tried butter yet. Will try that tonight! Thanks!

Former User
08-14-2001, 10:14 AM
Our humans give us Whiskas junior food, and boy do we love it, there's two flavours above others, and those are rabbit and seafish, yummie!!! :)

NoahsMommy
08-16-2001, 01:13 PM
We feed Noah Nutro's Max Kitten. He LOVES it and is doesn't have ANY bi-products.

Wiska's has rabbit in it? EEK, I wont tell my bunny... :eek:

4 feline house
08-16-2001, 10:48 PM
Okay. I know this is one of those things where everyone will believe what they want to believe, because unless you go down and LIVE at Iams' factories, you will NEVER know the TRUTH.

But some things need to be said before everyone gets hysterical and possibly damages the reputation of what is probably a very reputable company.

All that being said, I don't claim to know the truth. But here is what I DO know.

First of all, Proctor and Gamble was the last company to discontinue animal testing. This, plus a "curse" that has followed Proctor and Gamble since someone announced decades ago that their logo was a satanic symbol, has led to many consumers to consider them as "evil".

Many of the more radical and less level-headed animal "rescue" groups, such as Uncaged, ARF, and PETA, insist that they still do animal testing although no one has been able to come up with irrefutable evidence confirming this. This is probably just a grudge that lasted way longer than it ever should have becasue P&G did resist discontinuing animal testing.

Most of the animal testing that P&G continues to be accused of is illegal and has been for years.

There is no logical reason to conduct the types of experiments that are being described. For instance, it has been a known medical fact for decades that dietary protein is not easily tolerated by the kidneys, so kidney patients have been on restricted protein diets for a very long time. It would not make fiscal sense for a company to conduct tests to confirm something that has been a known fact for decades.

Of all of the animal groups I have seen associated with this announcement, all are of the more radical ones with somewhat questionable motives (they let loose various caged animals without thought to whether those previously caged animals can fend for themselves in a foreign environment, for instance). Remember, anyone looking for media exposure can start a "foundation" to collect a salary and get in the news, whether or not they are really benefitting, or even believe in, the cause they are supposedly championing.

Lastly, this rumor got started because animals groups say P&G does animal testing, now P&G owns Iams, ergo Iams must also be doing animal testing.

Again, I'm not claiming to have the answers, but as I search for the answers I am keeping all this in mind for balance. I beg everyone else to do the same.

Although I know a company under attack will always do spin control, I though I would close this lengthy post with a lenghthy letter from Iams themselves:

Dear Nikki,
Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate you giving us the
opportunity to clarify the issues regarding our research. Please take a few
minutes to review the facts about dogs and cats in research:

The Iams Company has made major advances in nutritional health benefits for
millions of dogs and cats world-wide. In our efforts to develop nutritional
health advances, we sponsored research world-wide at veterinary schools and
universities. This research has answered vital questions about animal health.
Based on those answers, we have been able to make many discoveries including
nutritional advances in:

* Canine/feline kidney disease, which resulted in our specific veterinary
diets, available only by prescription. These diets make a significant difference
in the lives of cats and dogs with renal failure, a chronic and fatal illness
that affects 15% of dogs and 25% of cats.
* Skeletal development, which makes a big difference for large breed dogs,
where painful and debilitating developmental bone problems can occur in up to
40% of puppies.
* Skin and coat, which provides nutritional support for addressing
sensitive skin problems where pharmaceutical intervention may be the only
alternative.
* Immune system, where antioxidants provide a significant impact on young
and senior dogs and cats.

Iams openly publishes our findings so that other researchers can help improve
the health and well being of dogs and cats without repeating research studies.
Iams research has been presented, published, and part of the public record for
the past 12 years. Other leading petfood companies have also sponsored studies
over the years.

The Iams Nutrition Symposia regularly brings together experts from 80
universities and 136 veterinary hospitals, from more than 40 countries who then
return home to apply the knowledge in their own practices.
All of our feeding studies have had to meet very specific criteria:

* The results must help veterinarians and pet owners to nutritionally
manage important pet health conditions and the benefits to dogs and cats
worldwide must be genuine.
* The studies must be unique, relevant and truly pioneering - in other
words, no existing research could answer the questions raised.
* The care of animals is of paramount importance, and animal well being is
always our top priority.

The Iams Company policy on the development of pet food is based on the following
fundamentals: The Iams Company is committed to improving the health and well
being of cats and dogs through the development of superior nutrition.

The Iams Company will not participate in any study requiring the euthanasia of
cats or dogs, nor will we conduct the veterinary equivalent of any tests on cats
or dogs, which is not acceptable in nutritional or medical studies in people.

Our efforts have always been guided by a strict code of ethics that meets or
exceeds the standards of the relevant legislation, e.g., Animal Welfare Act of
the US, the US Department of Agriculture and Directive 86/609/EEC of the
European Union.

This policy applies to all Iams research whether conducted by our scientists or
others.

At Iams, we stand behind our research and our 55-year track record of enhancing
the well being of dogs and cats by providing premium quality nutrition. We are
proud that our science has been available and used by others and that we have
led breakthroughs in companion animal health.

The Iams Company has recently received support from several independent,
third-party organizations. Click to see statements from: http://www.americankennelclub.com/news/iamsrelease.cfm - The American Kennel
Club (AKC) http://www.iams.com/AboutIams/AAHA.html - American Animal Hospital Association
(AAHA) http://www.iams.com/AboutIams/AMC.html - The Animal Medical Center (AMC)

Again, thank you for taking the time to explore the facts. If you have
additional questions, please contact us at 800-525-4267 Monday through Friday
from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. or on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Sincerely,

Danette Bridgens
Iams - Customer Service
7250 Poe Ave.
Dayton, OH 45414

The Iams Company is proud of having over 50 years of nutritional excellence,
dedicated to enhancing the well-being of dog and cats by providing world-class
quality foods.