PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... what would you do?

catnapper
06-13-2004, 05:38 PM
I was surfing the net tonight for local info. I came across a site about pot - how to smoke it, grow it, sell it, etc. Its a message board. Its also VERY local... actually the moron that ran the other local board where my daughter was being bashed runs this one!

I guess when I threatened to sue him, he picked up and moved to a new webpage and decided to get a little more illegal.

I am spitting mad. He seems arrogant and as if he's above the law. I want to report this to the police. Hubby says to leave it alone so long as OUR kids aren't on there. I say that he's now being like one of his students that won't report a drug deal.

What would you do? Leave it be or report it? This is not to turn into a debate on drugs and pot, etc. Just whether or not its something that should be reported.

NoahsMommy
06-13-2004, 05:43 PM
I'd report it. If one highschool student knows about it, they all will soon enough.

EDIT: Now I'm thinking on this. They can always find the info online or from friends, but if its not as local as this is, it'd be better. If it were me, I'd report it and not tell anyone about it. That way it wont get the extra attention in your family...

sirrahbed
06-13-2004, 06:01 PM
I would report it in a heartbeat. Can use a hotline and not use your name just to keep peace at home? Me, I would definitely report it.:mad:

thelmalu99
06-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Well, I would say report it, but by all means, REMAIN ANONYMOUS.

I'm a little wary of folks like that, and I definitely understand your husband's point of view. Could be dangerous if this dude finds out who reported him. I don't mean to scare you, but it's best to be cautious when dealing with this sort of person.

Good luck and be careful. :)

catnapper
06-13-2004, 06:51 PM
There is an 800 number to call to leave a tip. It can be completely anonymous. I looked the number up online and tried to call.. but it was a recording that said to call back later if I wanted to remain anonymous! :rolleyes: Most people won't call back. A lot of time, especially in the city, people work up the nerve to call. When they call and are told to call back, they won't bother. And here they advertise it as a 24 hours / 7 days a week hotline!

I may be old fashioned, but this is appaling to me! Someone mentioned that even if I brought it ot the police's attention that they can't do anything because of "free speech" Doesn't this NOT count because its perpetuating illegal acts? UGH, where's the resident lawyer?

Miss Meow
06-13-2004, 06:57 PM
I'd report it anonymously. I don't really care what people do in their own homes, but singing it to the world like that smacks of arrogance.

Uabassoon
06-13-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that it isn't illegal. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it's legal due to free speech. There are books published on how to grow the stuff so I don't see how talking about it would be considered illegal. Unless he was specifically dealing online there is nothing that can be done about it.

thelmalu99
06-13-2004, 07:18 PM
And here they advertise it as a 24 hours / 7 days a week hotline!

Frustrating, isn't it? The so-called "hotlines" are never what they should be. Here's a story for you, I'll keep it short, but I was recently pickpocketed, and they took my wallet with MasterCard Debit Card and all! I had taken money out of my wallet less than 5 minutes before I realized it had been stolen, so I caught it right away and I immediately took out my cell phone and called Citibank. You press the options, and there's an option you press if your card was lost or stolen. I stayed on hold for FORTY-FIVE MINUTES before someone came to the line, during which time they had the opportunity to go shopping with my card and emptied out my account. Great, huh? Hotline, my foot. :mad:

Anyway, back to your situation. Uabassoon may have a point. I hadn't thought about it, but now that I do, I'm sure I have seen books about this online at a pretty well-known bookstore. I think she may be right. Really sucks, but I think that may be the case. Even so, I would still report it anonymously, just so that the police are aware of it and can monitor the site, just in case dude does cross the line.

dukedogsmom
06-13-2004, 07:30 PM
I would probably report it, also. You can find everything on the internet, including how to make bombs. I think it's ridiculous and scary.

moosmom
06-13-2004, 07:48 PM
I agree with Kelly. I'd report it and tell no one in your family. I also have to say that there are alot of websites just like that one, that tell you how to cultivate it, etc. Sad isn't it??