PDA

View Full Version : Fat Rat Help

mickey
06-13-2004, 04:14 PM
This is my first post and don't know how much I may come to this site, but do have condolences for the rat with the tumor and her family. I have a rat now and have had several in the past. I have a question.

My rat has always been rather chubby. She loves to eat and is nice and round like a butter ball. Anyway we noticed she is gaining rather fast lately and she is over 2 so my thought is a tumor. All but one of my rats have died of cancer and so this is my fear. What is your opinion without a trip to the vet? She does not appear to be in pain and is just as lively as normal, but her breathing is a little more shallow than before and she drinks twice as much water now than she has. Any other suggestions???

Thanks,

Mickey

tikeyas_mom
06-14-2004, 10:32 PM
what does her diet consist of??
Rats shouldent have alot of fattie foods in their diet like chees and sunflower seeds...
they should have veggies, fruit, and grains.. not hamster foods you would but in the pet store.

I would suggest joining a rat forum like www.petratscanada.com

Alot of people are very smart there...

Good luck.

mickey
06-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Thanks so much for the reply. I do buy her specifically formulated rat food in the pet store but am sure to give her lots of fruits and veggies. I am afraid she is, as I am, a junk food junkie. She does eat dry dog food and she love mac and cheese. She gets a little bit of whatever I am eating. She has always been chubby since I got her at 5 weeks old. But now she is close to 2 years old and I know it is her time, so maybe her metabolism is slowing down.

Thanks for your insight and help,

Mickey