PDA

View Full Version : Feline Fascination With Water

AvaJoy
09-05-2001, 07:40 PM
I have heard that some cats enjoy playing with flowing water; whenever a faucet is on they are up on the counter or sink or bathtub to observe at close range. Meeshe will touch a paw to the water in his dish before drinking (either testing the temperature or level - only he knows!), and Lily likes to have a fresh cup of water held for her while she drinks, but she will also drink from her bowl.

Otherwise, I have never had a cat that seemed at all intrigued by running water, and wondered if anyone would like to share their cat's water antics. :eek:

I've read that Persians prefer to drink from fountains, because due to their facial structure they can get water up their noses trying to drink from a bowl . . . Spencer, have you found this to be true?

AvaJoy
09-05-2001, 09:20 PM
Oh, I hope not . . . I've had the same concerns about Lily when she began to cry for water upon waking, as she is no spring chicken anymore. Let us hope it is just a fixation and not of any medical significance.

AngieS
09-05-2001, 09:24 PM
My cat done the weirdest thing when she would get a drink from her bowl of water. She would kind of scartch or paw at the floor in front of the water bowl when she would get a drink. I have no idea why she does this. I haven't noticed her doing it as much lately because now she will go to the kitchen faucet and lick it i turned the water on to a small stream and she didn't seem to like it but maybe she will eventually. I don't think she would get enough to drink from what is in the faucet but she seems to be happy trying. LOL :D

zippy-kat
09-06-2001, 12:06 AM
I had NO IDEA re: kidney disease!!!
That explains my Max to a T! (rainbow bridge now--it seemed he could NEVER get enough to drink!--and he died of kidney disease) None of the vets told us that his 'love of water' was a warning sign!

I'm in shock!!

Tinker will paw her water before drinking as well. Tom would only drink from the bathroom faucet!

Gio
09-06-2001, 05:58 AM
Gigio has kidney disease and he drinks gallons of water (he is 18) but the reason he prefers to drink from the tap rather than his bowl stems to almost 15 years ago. My father, who absolutely adores cats but can be quite absent minded, was left alone with the cats for a couple of days. It was the height of the summer and when I came back I noticed that the cats' water bowl was dry. When I asked him why he replied "I was wondering what that bowl was doing on the floor :eek: ". He also told me that during a thunderstorm Gigio demanded to be let out on the balcony and dashed to drink from the trays my mother placed under the flower pots. Ever since then he prefers running water, but can you blame him?

Maya is fascinated by water. You cannot run a bath, wash the dishes or the floors that as soon as she hears it running she appears. And if the floors are wet than it's paradise. She can sit on the border of the bath with her tail and front paws deep in the warm water.

Former User
09-06-2001, 07:27 AM
We're still too small to jump on the sink etc. but we are fascinated by the water yes. Everytime when our humans take a shower, we're there on the floor, top of the floor towel. We like it because it's wet...then we also like to walk all o ver the bathroom floor after their shower. We get our paws wet, but we don't mind that. We don't mind water either, whenever our humans spray a bit of water, we try to catch the water drops :) that's fun! And we used to annoy the humans by almost swimming in our waterbowl, but now they've changed it to a smaller one, and we can't do that anymore :confused: darn humans :rolleyes:

yorkster
09-06-2001, 04:50 PM
Good subject! I have 2 cats: one 7 yr. old mix, and a 8 month old M. Coon kitten. The kitten drives me crazy with his water obsession. When I fill up his water-bowl, first he starts 'slapping' the top of the water with his already large paw. I mean he slaps hard, and has got it down to where he can make the water go up about a foot. He does this for awhile, then he starts 'scooping' the water out over the side of the bowl- it looks like he is digging in his litter box, only it is with water. So obviously my floors are always wet! I tried putting a tray under the water, then a disposible aluminum pan, but those don't work because he slaps the water too hard and will also try and scoop it out of the tray. Finally I put a DEEP plastic dishpan under his water dish. That seems to be working, except that now he stands inside the whole dishpan to drink his water, and he is not a small kitty! He also likes to stick most of his head & neck into the water, so now his pretty fluff around his neck, etc. looks frizzy all the time. His paws are wet most of the time too because he does this for quite some time everyday. Also Both my cats like to put their toys into the water dish and play with them that way.

lizbud
09-06-2001, 07:10 PM
I have two siblings(Red & Mikey),and Mikey
definately has a 'thing' about water!!
Their Momma was a feral rescued from "alley
cat" status 3 years ago..As a way of interacting with these two 'First" kitties
I used filling the water bowl as a kind of
game..With lots of OOHS & AAHs about how
interesting the flowing water was! Well
Mikey loved it and showed GREAT interest
whenever He hear the water, he came running,
and would sit crouched down next to the bowl,
to watch this "Great Event"When he showed no
fear & even smacked the water,I praised him
a lot..It became another game we played.
Mikey still loves the game , but Red acted
like it was just to silly to get involved in.
P.S. Momma Cat has been completely Veted and
lives in a Condo in my garage!!!

shaggo
09-07-2001, 06:58 AM
I swear obsession with water is a Maine Coon trait! I have two Maine Coons who both love to play with their water dishes. My younger one dunks all of his toys in his water dish (and then carries them dripping all over the house). He also likes to sit with his his paws wrapped around the water bowl. He will do this for an hour at a time, not drinking, just "guarding" the bowl from his big brother. His brother likes to dip his paws in the water.
This facination with water has always intrigued me and I have since heard of a great many Maine Coons with similar characteristics.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yorkster:
[QB]Good subject! I have 2 cats: one 7 yr. old mix, and a 8 month old M. Coon kitten. The kitten drives me crazy with his water obsession. When I fill up his water-bowl, first he starts 'slapping' the top of the water with his already large paw. I mean he . :) :)

yorkster
09-07-2001, 06:52 PM
Maine Coons are such hams- I just love it! Never a dull moment around here. How old did you say your kitties were Shaggo? You should take a picture of your cat 'guarding' his water dish. Welcome to COTD!

shaggo
09-07-2001, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome!! I have been a lurker for awhile but have only posted a couple of times. My boys are two and three years old. They are wonderful little (BIG actually) guys. I don't know what we'd do without them. I must get a picture of Cody with his water dish!!

Originally posted by yorkster:
<STRONG>Maine Coons are such hams- I just love it! Never a dull moment around here. How old did you say your kitties were Shaggo? You should take a picture of your cat 'guarding' his water dish. Welcome to COTD!</STRONG>

:)

4 feline house
09-07-2001, 09:28 PM
Cosmo (RB) was fascinated with the flushing toilet. He would run through the house and the first whoosh so he could jump up on the seat and watch the swirling water disappear!

Incidently, excessive thirst and urination are not an early sign of kidney disease - once these symptoms occur it is usually already advanced.

yorkster
09-07-2001, 11:10 PM
That's right 4-feline-house that excessive thirst, etc. means it is advanced kidney problems- I had a cat (Liza, blk. & white tuxedo) die about a year and 1/2 ago from it. By the time I noticed that something was REALLY wrong with her, it was too late. It can advance very quickly as it did in her case. I know I felt so awful for not having done something sooner. She had been drinking a lot of water and kind of lethargic (spellcheck) for awhile, but she was getting up in years and I did not know which of my cats was drinking all the water at first. Now it is something I watch for closely.

4 feline house
09-08-2001, 12:12 AM
Yorkster, don't beat yourself up. The kind of kidney disease cats are prone to has no treatment. All that you can do is hope to slow the progression, but even then sometimes your best efforts are for naught. Also, even advanced kidney disease can have no symptoms until the end, and most routine chemistries will come up normal until the disease is advanced. Although I have only about 35% of my kidney function, all but two of my tests still show normal, and one of those is only given when kidney disease is already suspected or known - it is not part of a routine physical. Abnormal chemistries generally don't start coming up until function is down to about 10-20%, and that's also when dialysis starts. I've known of several people who found out they had kidney disease and started dialysis all on the same day. Add to that the added difficulty of your cat not being able to tell you that she's thirsty or has an upset tummy, and it's no wonder you didn't know sooner.

I'm lucky in that they have discovered a class of drugs that can slow and sometimes even stop the progression, but unfortunately for every other kidney patient, people and animal, it is only effective in type 1 diabetics. Even in people, there is not a whole lot that can be done.

I hope this eases your guilt, because it is not warranted.

yorkster
09-08-2001, 01:26 AM
Thank-you 4 feline house. That is good information you passed on.

Ila
09-08-2001, 04:13 PM
We had a Cat Brandy once that the only place she would drink water was the toilet. I know that is gross. I kept my toilet spotless knowing she did this. If we shut the lid she would cry. We finally gave in and let her drink. :eek:

kgeorge
09-09-2001, 08:59 AM
Sundance (Norwegian Forest Cat) love to drink from the faucet, when he first came home I had a bowl of water and he didn't like that too much and then I was in the bathroom running water he jumped up and he loves it. Now he only drinks from water fountains. Has anyone bought one of those pet fountains that circulate the water and they can drink from the stream. I was wondering if the cats like it or not.

auggie
09-09-2001, 07:58 PM
Spencer and kgoerge,
I bought the newDrinkwell Pet Fountain about 3 Weeks ago and can highly recommend it. My Cats don't drink out of Water bowels and have been drinking out of my Table Top Rock Fountain. I finally retired my Table Top Fountain, since I worried about them drinking stale Water. The Drinkwell is easy to clean and the Motor is very quiet. It has a Carbon Filter which needs to be replaced every few weeks. Also the Bowel is much bigger than I pictured.My Cats like it and I'm happy that they're drinking lots of Water.

auggie
09-09-2001, 09:33 PM
Spencer, I got mine at Petco. You can buy it online direct from the Mfg. for less Money and free Shipping. http://www.vetventures.com/
Thanks for complimenting my Cat. She also has the sweetest, loving personality. Best I ever got came from the Arlington Human Society. :)

Cathy Harrison
10-06-2001, 06:45 AM
Our cat, Othello, used to love drinking water from the most unlikely places - anywhere but from his feeding bowl! He used to drink from muddy puddles anywhere outside(urgh!) and when we had just emptied the bath or the bathroom or kitchen sink he would lap the water from round the plughole. He was a large, black, long-haired cat, and one of my favourite photos of him is one taken of him drinking water from the plughole in the bathroom sink, with his rear end sticking up in the air, in a most unflattering manner !!! He has been known to bathe in our bath (but not for long). After having a bath (Othello was asleep in the bathroom at the time), when I got out of the bath and started drying myself he jumped up on the edge of the bath, had a look at its contents, then jumped in! For about 10 seconds he stood there quite happily, but then he suddenly remembered he was a cat and that cats aren't supposed to like water, so he made a mad dash up the bathroom wall to try and get out! Needless to say, I dried him off and comforted him - he was somewhat shocked at what he'd done. Finally, the only other time he came into contact with water, was voluntary, but he wasn't happy about it. He had taken to "hanging out" at a neighbour's house across the road. The neighbour in question had been painting and decorating his house and Othello took it upon himself to leap up on the neighbour's kitchen workbench and knock over a bottle of turpentine and spill it over himself! Luckily he didn't try to lick it off. He must have realised it was a dangerous substance, so he ran straight back home and came mewing to us! We washed him straightaway (2 to hold him in the sink and 1 to wash him). He knew it was for his own good, but he didn't like it. That was the last time he went to the house over the road ...... ;)

Annie'scat
10-06-2001, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by AvaJoy:
<STRONG>I have heard that some cats enjoy playing with flowing water; whenever a faucet is on they are up on the counter or sink or bathtub to observe at close range. Meeshe will touch a paw to the water in his dish before drinking (either testing the temperature or level - only he knows!), and Lily likes to have a fresh cup of water held for her while she drinks, but she will also drink from her bowl.

Otherwise, I have never had a cat that seemed at all intrigued by running water, and wondered if anyone would like to share their cat's water antics. :eek:

I've read that Persians prefer to drink from fountains, because due to their facial structure they can get water up their noses trying to drink from a bowl . . . Spencer, have you found this to be true?</STRONG>

Annie'scat
10-06-2001, 08:13 AM
Sorry about previous message, am new to this and pressed the wrong key!!!

Regarding the fascination with water, my first cat, Tiger, loved warm water. She would always either sit on my stomach when I was in the bath, the deeper the better, or lay on the side tapping the water with her front paws. She also loved her own warm bath, not too deep though and would purr like mad, and then cuddle up with me till I dried her in a lovely warm fluffy towel. She didn't seem to mind the hair dryer, either. She was eighteen when she died and I still miss her terribly. She always slept on my pillow and would wash my hair or lick my forehead until I went to sleep. After my Dad died my Mum came to stay for a while and she would cuddle up to Mum in bed until they both fell asleep. Thanks everyone for such a wonderful web-site. :)

AvaJoy
10-08-2001, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Pollypuss2:
<STRONG>. . . She always slept on my pillow and would wash my hair or lick my forehead until I went to sleep. After my Dad died my Mum came to stay for a while and she would cuddle up to Mum in bed until they both fell asleep. Thanks everyone for such a wonderful web-site. :)</STRONG>

Sounds marvelous to fall asleep while being groomed by one's cat . . . she must have thought the world of you, and such precious memories you will always have of your special Tiger. :)

yorkster
10-08-2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Farruska:
<STRONG>LOL

Sometimes i think pictures speak better than words so here goes :)

What R u Waing for? (http://www.fotografia.em.pt/foto.asp?foto=84224&primeira=106883&tema=5067&tipo=autor&id=4237&num=6)

That's better :) (http://www.fotografia.em.pt/so_foto.asp?foto=84593&primeira=106883&tema=5067&tipo=autor&id=4237&num=5)

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: Farruska ]</STRONG>

what a beautiful kitty- and funny too! good pictures.

Pam
10-08-2001, 09:46 PM
I have told this before, but the sound of running water causes my Andy to run immediately to the source. He frequently will jump on the counter to get a drink and very often plays in his water dish. He is also very interested when he hears a potty flush. :o One day I had just gotten finished scrubbing the floor and was pouring the dirty water down the potty and he came running. Unfortunately in his desire to run and sit on the rim and watch, he lost his footing! :eek: Yep, he landed right in the potty in the midst of the swirling dirty water. He has not done that since! :D I was speaking with the "mother" of his sibling about a year after Andy came to live with us. It seems that his brother behaves exactly the same way. My Trevor, on the other hand, has no interest at all in water.....just food! :D

punkin
10-09-2001, 04:53 PM
Hi... I have a 3 month old orange tabby. His name is Punkin and he can't get enough water. If I leave the top toilet cover up hes got his nose in the water checking it out until he feels brave enough to put his paw in. He loves to check things out when I go to the bathroom. Before I used to feel his whiskers on my backside as he was trying to look in, but now he goes so far as to stand between me and the tank until I'm done, then he jumps up on the counter to check out the sink. Hes only fallen in the toilet once that I know of. (Yes it was clean - thank god!) Hes recently discovered the sink... this is hillarious. Except in the middle of the night when he plays with the silver part in the middle of the sink knocking it around in the drain!

Originally posted by AvaJoy:
<STRONG>I have heard that some cats enjoy playing with flowing water; whenever a faucet is on they are up on the counter or sink or bathtub to observe at close range. Meeshe will touch a paw to the water in his dish before drinking (either testing the temperature or level - only he knows!), and Lily likes to have a fresh cup of water held for her while she drinks, but she will also drink from her bowl.

I've read that Persians prefer to drink from fountains, because due to their facial structure they can get water up their noses trying to drink from a bowl . . . Spencer, have you found this to be true?</STRONG>

AmberLee
10-09-2001, 06:48 PM
Welcome Punkin,

Your kitten sounds adorable.